What is a slow speed corner?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
M4rkOS
M4rkOS

What is a slow speed corner?

In motorsports, there is a lot of talk about slow, high-speed corners and power tracks, but what is slow? Are there fixed definitions?

Is a corner a slow corner if it´s driven:
Under a certain speed (<80km/h), because there are physical effects like particular aerodynamic parts only working probably to this speed?
or
at a specific gear to have a universal definition for everyone?
or
is it a thing everyone defines differently?

Same for high-speed corners and is a power track only defined by the amount of full throttle?

Just curious about definitions. I often heard the terms but never actually thought about how they are defined.

piast9
piast9

Re: What is a slow speed corner?

I always considered the corner to be a slow speed one if the performance around it was limited mainly by the traction during braking and acceleration. Fast corners for me are the one where the performance is limited by the lateral tyre grip and downforce if you have one. The actual speed depends on the kind of the car or bike.

_cerber1

M4rkOS wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 10:31
In motorsports, there is a lot of talk about slow, high-speed corners and power tracks, but what is slow? Are there fixed definitions?

Is a corner a slow corner if it´s driven:
Under a certain speed (<80km/h), because there are physical effects like particular aerodynamic parts only working probably to this speed?
or
at a specific gear to have a universal definition for everyone?
or
is it a thing everyone defines differently?

Same for high-speed corners and is a power track only defined by the amount of full throttle?

Just curious about definitions. I often heard the terms but never actually thought about how they are defined.
Rob Smedley
In turns, the cars, of course, drop a little, but they still drive with monstrous numbers on speedometers: a turn at a speed of 100-120 km / h is considered “slow”, and with indicators of 160-180 km / h - “medium-speed”! There are also fast turns in which the speed reaches 250 km / h, and sometimes breaks through the mark of 300 km / h.

M4rkOS
M4rkOS

piast9 wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 13:56
I always considered the corner to be a slow speed one if the performance around it was limited mainly by the traction during braking and acceleration. Fast corners for me are the one where the performance is limited by the lateral tyre grip and downforce if you have one. The actual speed depends on the kind of the car or bike.
I like that one because it can be applied very universally, let me see if I got that right:

Simply put, a slow corner is one with a hard braking point (mechanical grip), whilst high-speed corners usually don´t have a braking point at all (just lift off - downforce if aerodynamics). Everything in between is a medium-speed corner.

M4rkOS
M4rkOS

_cerber1 wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 14:37
Rob Smedley
In turns, the cars, of course, drop a little, but they still drive with monstrous numbers on speedometers: a turn at a speed of 100-120 km / h is considered “slow”, and with indicators of 160-180 km / h - “medium-speed”! There are also fast turns in which the speed reaches 250 km / h, and sometimes breaks through the mark of 300 km / h.
This is the rule above applied to a specific era of Formula 1 car, isn´t it? I like the quote, do you know when he said that? I guess even for a specific race class the absolute speed would differ at least a little over the course of years?!?

hollus

There is no absolute limit between slow, medium and fast corners. There is no reason to define them either. It is only a mental and conversational aid.
Rivals, not enemies.

M4rkOS
M4rkOS

hollus wrote:
04 Sep 2022, 19:56
There is no absolute limit between slow, medium and fast corners. There is no reason to define them either. It is only a mental and conversational aid.
It is a conversational aid, but being on the same level in a conversation helps/can be crucial to avoiding misunderstandings, and that's what definitions are good for. That's why I like piast9's definition; it is universally applicable.

My question was if there is a clear definition, and it seems like you are right, the answer is no and that´s ok. :) Learning never stops. ;)