2023 Season Build-up.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

2023 Season Build-up.

Well, the calendar has been dropped for next year. 24 races and we see some of the iconic's that were rumoured to go, remain on the calendar.

Firstly Spa looks to be the same weekend as the 24hour race, so imagine there will be some rescheduling to do there.

We see the introduction of Vegas and China - if the Chinese GP happens.

No South African GP yet.

France has been dropped.

Qatar has been re-introduced.

Stu

Re: 2023 Season Build-up.

Still far too many randomly located long-hauls; France going was expected, Spa gets a stay of execution due to South Africa not making it. I hope that track limits are strictly enforced in Qatar….
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Shakeman

What’s happened to Vietnam?

Just_a_fan

Baku all the way to Miami and then back almost all the way to Italy. Texas, down through central and south America to return to, yes you guessed it, the US again. There are other seemingly-random continental jumps too, of course. Do the people that put the calendar look at a world map at any point in this process? It would seem not.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

chrisc90

Not to mention the 12 hour time difference between Vegas and Dubai less than a week away. I bet its crippling for the staff that travel to all the races.

On that note, I wonder what happens with all the stuff when they do say Bahrain to Saudi Arabia with a 2 week gap. (less by time they leave the monday and arrive the Tuesday/Weds prior to the race). Surely equipment/cars etc has to stay somewhere.

mendis

Are they going to change the budgets? Expenditure is going to increase to move to two more venues, which necessitates more money. What happens to engine and gearbox situation? Will it still be 3 engines and 4 gearboxes or will they increase the allowance due to additional races? If they increase, that again is additional costs for teams.

CMSMJ1

I guess I'll sound like a Luddite or other curmudgeonly git - but that is far too busy a calendar and the exclusive "Grand Prix" is being lost to the mass volume and the pile it high mentality

The excess of wasteful travel is also plainly ridiculous - I thought 20 races was busy and slightly excessive... 16 was always nice...but we do need new tracks and venues to ensure the new blood to the sport but I can honestly say that I won't be watching all of these races like I used to when it was actually difficult to do so!

Feels sometimes like it is walking away from me and, <sucks Werthers> I don't like it.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

BlueCheetah66

Shakeman wrote:
20 Sep 2022, 22:50
What’s happened to Vietnam?
The main guy that was making it happen was imprisoned I believe and there was a lot of dodgy stuff to do with the event

organic

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... twicklung/

Tyre blankets will be banned for 2024. Not exclusively 2023 related, but couldn't think of a better thread for this.

Undercut will still work, it'll just be slightly different. The car who pitted first might need to overtake on track with warmer tyres Vs colder tyres for the other car.

Some drivers are going to see an advantage from this. Max for one as he's always good in low grip conditions

Big Tea

organic wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 11:42

Tyre blankets will be banned for 2024. Not exclusively 2023 related, but couldn't think of a better thread for this.

Undercut will still work, it'll just be slightly different. The car who pitted first might need to overtake on track with warmer tyres Vs colder tyres for the other car.

Some drivers are going to see an advantage from this. Max for one as he's always good in low grip conditions
I am assuming the tyre will be a different compound too, as this one is intender to run from warm and stay warm while the new ones will have no core temp from the off. The whole tyre stop strategy will have to be re-written (I assume?)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

Big Tea wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 12:43
organic wrote:

I am assuming the tyre will be a different compound too, as this one is intender to run from warm and stay warm while the new ones will have no core temp from the off. The whole tyre stop strategy will have to be re-written (I assume?)
In the article Isola talks about how they are starting having to build completely new tyres each year to compensate for the stepped changes lowering tyre blanket temps (and ultimate removal)
Pirelli Sport Director Mario Isola explains why the strategy of small steps was chosen: "If you want to drive without electric blankets, you have to design a completely new tire. It's not enough simply to build new compounds with a larger working range. The Cars in Formula 1 are so fast and generate such great forces that the pressures increase by ten to twelve PSI while driving. This changes the entire profile and contact area of ​​the tire."
"Next year, the temperatures of the electric blankets will continue to fall - to just 50°C front and back," reveals Isola. "This also increases the pressure differences within the stints. We deliberately only take small steps so that nothing goes wrong and the show suffers. The tires work very well this year. Of course, it should stay that way even if we do away with the electric blankets altogether."

johnny comelately

organic wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 12:50
Big Tea wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 12:43
organic wrote:

In the article Isola talks about how they are starting having to build completely new tyres each year to compensate for the stepped changes lowering tyre blanket temps (and ultimate removal)
Pirelli Sport Director Mario Isola explains why the strategy of small steps was chosen: "If you want to drive without electric blankets, you have to design a completely new tire. It's not enough simply to build new compounds with a larger working range. The Cars in Formula 1 are so fast and generate such great forces that the pressures increase by ten to twelve PSI while driving. This changes the entire profile and contact area of ​​the tire."
"Next year, the temperatures of the electric blankets will continue to fall - to just 50°C front and back," reveals Isola. "This also increases the pressure differences within the stints. We deliberately only take small steps so that nothing goes wrong and the show suffers. The tires work very well this year. Of course, it should stay that way even if we do away with the electric blankets altogether."
Very good information, thank you
Cannot understand why this topic has not got ratings/ recomended apparatus

Just_a_fan

johnny comelately wrote:
22 Sep 2022, 13:06

Cannot understand why this topic has not got ratings/ recomended apparatus
Because it's in the general chat area of the forum and that doesn't have voting running in it. Only technical threads have voting, I think.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

FW17

Chinese GP organisers target 2023 F1 calendar return as COVID restrictions ease

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/chin ... /10416283/

Good news!!!!

ME4ME

Brawn adds: “We are working with our partner DHL to find ways of moving things around with much less impact on the planet and ultimately becoming Net Zero Carbon. Part of that is how we could regionalise the calendar in the future to have the North American races together, the European races together, the Middle Eastern races together and the Asian races together. It’s not a simple problem to solve and will take time.

“If you don’t do something, you won’t have an impact. We need to travel the world but let’s try to do it in a more efficient way. That’s where the mindset has changed in the last few years.”
“That’s something we’re working on very hard, but it will take time,” says Domenicali. “There are a lot of things that need to be considered, including commercial ($$$) interests and specific requests ($$$) from the promoters.”
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 3I3iJ.html

I get it that the promotors such as for Spa and Zandvoort don't want their races to leech off each other, but with F1 as populair as it is they should fill the grand stands regardless. F1 should stop taking these request and start improving the calendar year-by-year. However that doesn't seem to happen. Looks like they prefer to made a step-change in the future and promote the hell out of it "look what we achieved". Continues improvement is too steady for marketing.