F1TV

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
chrisc90

F1TV

Evening fans...

Just got myself F1TV - but was looking back at some of the features from one of the previous races (havent had a live race yet)

Do we get buildup at the start similar to Sky Sports streams?

Also, can it be multiscreened? As in say the live race from one, then a driver cam on another tab, then say timing on the other? Or is it just limited to 1 view/video stream?

Thanks - Looking forward to seeing what the alternative commentary is like as meant to be very good as the few bits I seen from Spa were well commentated.

ispano6

Re: F1TV

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 21:01
Evening fans...

Just got myself F1TV - but was looking back at some of the features from one of the previous races (havent had a live race yet)

Do we get buildup at the start similar to Sky Sports streams?

Also, can it be multiscreened? As in say the live race from one, then a driver cam on another tab, then say timing on the other? Or is it just limited to 1 view/video stream?

Thanks - Looking forward to seeing what the alternative commentary is like as meant to be very good as the few bits I seen from Spa were well commentated.
You should be able to watch it on multiple tabs and even on multiple devices. I watch the race on a 75in 4K TV using the F1TV Android app (manual APK install) and watch the onboard and telemetry on a separate 43in screen through a web-browser on a separate PC.

chrisc90

Ahhh, you can watch it on multiple PCs? I had a nosey at the terms etc and it reckons its only possible to watch on 1 device. Havent tried multiple ones and im not sure how its 'enforced'.

TimW
TimW

There are pre and post race shows. I hardly ever watch them, but I think they are ok.

I often watch on two devices simultaneously(main stream and an onboard), don't know how many they allow, but three works IIRC.

chrisc90

TimW wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 21:24
There are pre and post race shows. I hardly ever watch them, but I think they are ok.

I often watch on two devices simultaneously(main stream and an onboard), don't know how many they allow, but three works IIRC.
Do you still get things like the 'grid walk' and talking to the team principles for example and the analysis after the race? Or is it mainly focussed around the race/qualifying?

TimW
TimW

Yes they do do that, but I only ever watched fragments so I don't know the quality. There are replays available, so you can check it out if can't wait till Sunday...

ispano6

chrisc90 wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 21:29
TimW wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 21:24

Do you still get things like the 'grid walk' and talking to the team principles for example and the analysis after the race? Or is it mainly focussed around the race/qualifying?
There is the weekend warm-up that usually comes out before FP1 but there hasn't been one in the last couple of races. The grid walk is similar to the Sky/ESPN coverage but obviously different commentators. The thing I love about F1TV coverage is that we don't have to hear Krofty and Brundle, I actually prefer listening to Jolyon Palmer commentating. The post race coverage however is a bit disappointing as it isn't part of the F1TV race feed and isn't broadcast live on F1TV. The post-race analysis is available a bit after the race ends. For that I end up watching the ESPN/Sky coverage on TV. Also, the F1TV race stream for me is about 5 seconds delayed from the ESPN/Sky broadcast.

Zynerji

F1TV has grown immensely since its inception. Even though I had to sideload it onto my smart TV, it now updates like the phone app, and works perfectly well (I could only watch the current live stream before that update).

Jolyon is literally the best commentator of F1 that I have ever heard. He's honest and brutal about everyone, has recent experience, and is super knowledgeable of the History of F1 (Chandock probably has more of that though).

Having the Archives also helps get one through the Long offseason as well. Always nice to watch seasons that were before my fandom to catch up on some of the races people talk about on these very forums, and the nice thing is, they are new to me, so its just like watching a fresh, new season!

Anyway, best money I've spent on F1.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I find it amusing that the best F1 commentators are generally drivers that didn't succeed in F1. Apart from di Resta who is just comes across as bitter every time he speaks. But otherwise, they're generally good communicators with understanding born of experience.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 00:06
I find it amusing that the best F1 commentators are generally drivers that didn't succeed in F1. Apart from di Resta who is just comes across as bitter every time he speaks. But otherwise, they're generally good communicators with understanding born of experience.
I wasn't a fan of Coulthard when he did a season... Jolyon has got a LONG career in broadcast in front of him. I hope it works out, as it's GREAT to hear Sam Collins be shut up with instant facts to his idiocy.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 01:12
Just_a_fan wrote:
I wasn't a fan of Coulthard when he did a season... Jolyon has got a LONG career in broadcast in front of him. I hope it works out, as it's GREAT to hear Sam Collins be shut up with instant facts to his idiocy.
Coulthard was relatively successful in F1 with 13 wins. I'm not a fan of his, TBH, as a commentator.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Just install (unzip) this:
https://beta.f1mv.com/

enter your f1tv creds and you're good to go.

Big Tea

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 09:44
Zynerji wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 01:12
Just_a_fan wrote:
Coulthard was relatively successful in F1 with 13 wins. I'm not a fan of his, TBH, as a commentator.
He was once called a 'has been' by someone in the press and his reply was- "if the options are wannabee or neverwas, I'll take that comfortably thank you" :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Juzh wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 10:17

Cool, thank you.

I was using the open source "race control" desktop app from github but it always had issues with syncing streams.

Juzh

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:40
Juzh wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 10:17

Cool, thank you.

I was using the open source "race control" desktop app from github but it always had issues with syncing streams.
Race control wasn't updated since drm got implemented so it can no longer play live streams, only old ones where it has been removed. Dev has since gone inactive, no updates for months now.