Ideal car rear roofline angle and shape for low drag?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Fluido

Ideal car rear roofline angle and shape for low drag?

What is ideal car rear roofline(rear window and trunk) angle and shape(straight line, curve ..etc) for lower drag? Keep in mind if you increase angle, you reduce butt area / wake, but induce low pressure at rear window/trunk , if you decrease angle you increase butt/wake but increase pressure at rear window/trunk.

What car aerodynamics theory says about this?

Greg Locock

Re: Ideal car rear roofline angle and shape for low drag?

I suggest you get hold of a copy of Hucho "Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles" or start with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobil ... oefficient

MadMax

Isn't this a classic "how long is a piece of string?" question? :shock:

feni_remmen

The answer is 11

Stu

A lot depends on what is ahead of and behind (and above & below) in terms of required airflow.

Race-cars tend to look like they do because of regulations, road cars tend to look like they do because of comfort/carrying requirements.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Andres125sx

Fluido wrote:
11 Nov 2022, 16:30
What is ideal car rear roofline(rear window and trunk) angle and shape(straight line, curve ..etc) for lower drag? Keep in mind if you increase angle, you reduce butt area / wake, but induce low pressure at rear window/trunk , if you decrease angle you increase butt/wake but increase pressure at rear window/trunk.

What car aerodynamics theory says about this?
I think this is the only car designed to lower drag as much as possible even if it ruins practicability, comfort or aesthetics

Stu

Looks A LOT like something I drew up when I was at Uni 30 years ago!!
Mine had three seats and was intended to be powered by a flat twin BMW motorcycle engine.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Rodak

Here in the US a three wheeled vehicle is classed as a motorcycle in most states.......

Greg Locock

That's the Aptera, their early estimates of Cd (0.06) were hopeless. The interference drag between the front wheel pods , the suspension arms, and the body were totally ignored. Judging by the wild claims, they'd assumed laminar to 60%

Current estimate is 0.15, which is almost down to solar car numbers, and better than GM Impact, so that's a pretty incredible outcome given that it has physical rear view mirrors.