Asphalt color and road surface durability / usability

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
hollus

Asphalt color and road surface durability / usability

I was going to call this thread "Why is asphalt black", but then this morning I was on a very light gray road...
...still, most roads, this includes most F1 tracks, are black-ish, as in a rather dark shade of gray.
The reasons are possibly obvious: tar and bitumen are black, rock aggregate mostly dark gray, so any combination of those ends up in a very dark tone.
Then again, nowadays technology is such that, really, a tiny amount of additives could turn the surface into basically any desired color with minimum effect on grip properties. Paint is out of the question as it gets slippery, but light gray or even, say, light green asphalt should be easy pickings... so they are not desired? Why?

Visibility is an obvious point, lighter colors reflect more light thus can be problematic in sunny days. White road markings would bneed to become black, maybe. But then of course that same asphalt would be more visible in the dark. Does any pavement engineer here know if this, visibility, is a factor? I guess most cars drive in daylight...

What really got me intrigued, though, is the thermal aspect of that color. We are all tired of cars getting super hot in sunny days in a parking lot, and the "air temp 30C, track temp 50C" sign is there all summer in F1. Black-ish asphalt colors are a great part of this, they suck soak up the photons from the sun, heating the asphalt and then the air and any object on it. (I know, I know, the car itself is a green house, I know, but it all adds up).
Still, light colored asphalt ought to be much less effective at heating up in the sun, no? Wouldn't this increase the durability of the asphalt and even increase tire life for the cars rolling on it?

Even more subtly and not as black and white, the same properties that make black objects absorb visible light often make them absorb IR as well, and if they absorb IR, they will be about equally good at emitting IR radiation. Thus, in cold nights, black asphalt should, in general cool down faster and further than light colored asphalt, as it is quite good at radiatively cooling itself.
This means that in a winter day when temperature briefly drops to -2C, dark asphalt might lead to ice formation where light gray asphalt likely would have enough thermal inertia to not do that. No ice --> good for the asphalt and good for the cars rolling on it.
On a very cold night, light asphalt ought to be better at retaining heat from the day, so again, cool down later and less than black asphalt, or so I would think. Less ice should lead to less cracks in the pavement, less growth of those cracks once formed, etc, leading to longer road life, no?

I might be completely off here, I just though I'd share the assumptions and the questions and pick everyone's brains, any takers?
Rivals, not enemies.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Re: Asphalt color and road surface durability / usability

An important and complex subject in terms of town planning and health etc.
The heat island effect is responsible for contributing to city temp rises and mitigation is an imperative.
Quantitatively the future will consider how many roads are needed, then materials as we transition away from oil based products. Some roads have even used recycled plasics such as printer cartridges, who knows the net value of that though. Greening is one of the biggest solutions to reducing the exposure in the first place but these videos show the development of additives and coatings that are dropping temps by 5C; and over an entire city that is a lot of saving. I guess one question is though the damage then from the reflections and that is quite large. In regards to materials concrete has big liabilities from a production point of view and heat retention compared to asphalt, but asphalt is an oil byproduct and its emissions are not good.
Then there is the design of porous materials and construction to reduce the surface water helping with accident reduction.

Last edited by johnny comelately on 18 Nov 2022, 13:09, edited 2 times in total.

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

dans79

I don't know if they still do it, but when my grandparents lived in Florida (80's) they used crushed Oyster and other shells in the asphalt and concrete. The shells made they roads a very light grey or even white at times.
197 104 103 7

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

Digressing slightly, but road materials are in here; also in this, autonomous vehicles are discussed and from what I know RIO TINTO (sorry Spain we have borrowed that) the mining company uses them and they are controlled from the office in Perth, Australia.
https://www.riotinto.com/en/about/innovation/automation
https://im-mining.com/2022/05/05/rio-ti ... n-ore-ops/

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

TNTHead

In the Netherlands we have loads of 'shared space' roads, where cars and bicycles are mixed. At the side of the road the bike lane is made of asphalt with a red addiditive, so colored asphalt is definitely possible.

See for instance:
http://www.raymondoostwegel.nl/weblog10 ... age003.jpg

A.J.O
A.J.O

TNTHead wrote:
20 Nov 2022, 13:28
In the Netherlands we have loads of 'shared space' roads, where cars and bicycles are mixed. At the side of the road the bike lane is made of asphalt with a red addiditive, so colored asphalt is definitely possible.

See for instance:
http://www.raymondoostwegel.nl/weblog10 ... age003.jpg
Pigmented asphalt is possible. A project was carried out in Ontario Canada.
Here is a paper on it for further information on the project. https://mcasphalt.com/wp-content/upload ... ntario.pdf

Those bike lanes look more like a coating like this https://hubss.com/assets/specification- ... 414_sm.pdf

other high albedo coatings are available for higher solar reflectivity.
The problem with coating asphalt is it requires more and higher cost maintenance.

Some cool things are being done with the inclusion of glass and glass fibers being used to replace/offset some of the aggregate gradations. One of the properties is increased reflectivity.

Asphalt oxidizes. So that usually explains why one would see varying shades of grey.