Formula BMW suspension

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
sennafan
sennafan

Formula BMW suspension

Has anybody got details of formula BMW suspension.Is it single-keel at the front? if so why?Why mono shock meaning pitch/roll channels can't be separated? Thanks

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Not sure what you mean by single-keel. Had a chance to take a look at some BMWs this weekend at the Denver GP. They are indeed monoshock. Why? I don't know.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

zac510
zac510

sennafan
sennafan

Thanks ZAC510.I was making sure I understood it and wondering why,on an entry level car,there isn't provision to adjust roll damping?

zac510
zac510

sennafan wrote:Thanks ZAC510.I was making sure I understood it and wondering why,on an entry level car,there isn't provision to adjust roll damping?
It's a flaw, no doubt, but one that is accepted for price and perhaps also because it is just an entry level car.

You may also be interested in this thread which has more detailed discussion:
http://forums.autosport.com/showthread. ... mono+shock

sennafan
sennafan

zac510 Great link,thanks

MrT
MrT

Monoshocks in general have no damping in roll, although i have seen people use a second linear damper to damp the roll slider. I have a monoshock on my own single seater and has it's advantages and disadvantages. When you hit a curb with the inside wheel, load is transfered directly to the outside wheel from the inside, adding to front end weight transfer and inducing understeer. Obviously the opposite is true when you clout the exit curb with the outside wheel. Monoshocks are poor on bumpy surfaces, and contary to common perception do not totally decouple bump from roll.