Corvette C8 best bang for the buck?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Honda Porsche fan

Corvette C8 best bang for the buck?

Is the new Corvette C8 the best bang for the buck, meaning, the most performance per $ ? Many cars with that type of styling and performance are over $250,000 U.S. dollars.

Does the Corvette expose European cars as being over priced and a rip off? Do European automakers artificially inflate their car prices?

Plus, the durability and reliability. Plenty of Corvettes on the roads with over 350,000 miles on them as daily drivers and going strong. You don't need to remove the engine every 15,000 miles for a $12,000 engine repair like the Ferrari F355. Or, the Mercedes AMG One that needs a rebuilt engine every 30,000 miles.

I think GM hit a homerun with the new C8. It looks great. I saw one in person last week in a parking lot and it was really stunning. It's great that a car under $100,000 U.S. dollars can not only be a true supercar in how it looks but also performs.

Also, in 10 to 15 years many of these C8's might be able to be had for under $20,000 U.S. dollars. I personally would wait for a C8 Z06 to be under $20k.

A 2001-04 C5 can be had for under $10,000 U.S. dollars now. The average market price for a 2001 Porsche 911 996 is over $40,000 U.S. dollars. Some selling for over $75k.

Ferraris' Most Feared Maintenance Item: The Engine-Out Belt Service - Revisited...
https://www.affordablesupercar.com/post ... -revisited

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: Corvette C8 best bang for the buck?

Yes if you want that sort of car then the C8 is cheap well engineered and well made.

Does the Corvette expose European cars as being over priced and a rip off?

Not really. There's a lot of parts bin engineering in the GM, and it may even be a loss leader. If your only job is making uncomfortable impractical cars (sorry, supercars) then you need to recover all your engineering costs and you pay a lot for small runs of components.

A 2001-04 C5 can be had for under $10,000 U.S. dollars now. The average market price for a 2001 Porsche 911 996 is over $40,000 U.S. dollars. Some selling for over $75k.

That seems about right. The only good thing in the C5 was the engine.

Jolle
Jolle

It’s probably good bang for the buck. But also quite strange with its push rod engine of course.
A good sports car is more then looking good. It’s about technology, pushing a engineering limit. McLaren is a good example. Small(ish) turbo engines, carbon, lots of clever electronics.

The corvette just ditched leaf springs.

The 996 is an excellent car to drive, even with extreme high mileage. Maybe the first true daily (autobahn) driver of those sportscars.

Honda Porsche fan

Jolle wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 23:50
It’s probably good bang for the buck. But also quite strange with its push rod engine of course.
A good sports car is more then looking good. It’s about technology, pushing a engineering limit. McLaren is a good example. Small(ish) turbo engines, carbon, lots of clever electronics.

The 996 is an excellent car to drive, even with extreme high mileage. Maybe the first true daily (autobahn) driver of those sportscars.
The base model 996 can be a extremely expensive car to maintain with the IMS bearing issue. The GT2 and GT3 with the Turbo Mezger engine designed at Le Mans are the reliable models to own. But, they are very expensive. I do not think they are worth it over a C5, C6 or C7 Vette.

I think the more expensive a car is the more reliable/durable it should be. The 1990 Honda/Acura NSX had a lot of cutting edge technology and handling for it's time and is still very reliable today.

There are people who think that a turbo is cheating. Some believe that "good engineering" is a naturally aspirated high revving engine and a manual transmission. Not a dual clutch that needs to be replaced every 20,000 to 30,000 miles.

If something breaks easily and is fragile that is not good engineering. It's lazy, impatient, impulsive and rushed with no regard for the consumer and does not care about the reputation of the company.

Corvette
Dodge Viper
Acura/Honda NSX
Toyota Supra

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Honda Porsche fan wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 02:36
Jolle wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 23:50

The base model 996 can be a extremely expensive car to maintain with the IMS bearing issue. The GT2 and GT3 with the Turbo Mezger engine designed at Le Mans are the reliable models to own. But, they are very expensive. I do not think they are worth it over a C5, C6 or C7 Vette.

I think the more expensive a car is the more reliable/durable it should be. The 1990 Honda/Acura NSX had a lot of cutting edge technology and handling for it's time and is still very reliable today.

There are people who think that a turbo is cheating. Some believe that "good engineering" is a naturally aspirated high revving engine and a manual transmission. Not a dual clutch that needs to be replaced every 20,000 to 30,000 miles.

If something breaks easily and is fragile that is not good engineering. It's lazy, impatient, impulsive and rushed with no regard for the consumer and does not care about the reputation of the company.

Corvette
Dodge Viper
Acura/Honda NSX
Toyota Supra
If you are talking bang for you buck, yes the Corvette fits the bill… But you are making the wrong comparison when you bring up mileage and or maintenance costs into the equation. That’s not how luxury items work.

The likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc… Are luxury items, people buy them not because of how many horsepower per dollar they get, for how comfortable they are or how suitable to be daily driven (and put hundreds of thousand’s of miles on them)… They buy them because of status, because of the brand name, because of how expensive they are or because they are made in limited runs (and therefore they neighbor doesn’t own one)… It is rare that someone buys a super car because they want a track toy or because of how fast the 0-60 is.

If you can afford (not simply acquire or buy, but actually afford it) a 400k + car, performing a 12k maintenance shouldn’t be that big of an issue, nor is it part of the purchase process consideration… It just depends on what is it that you want from the car you have purchased.

If what you care about is maintenance costs and something that is as fast or faster, you can also build something for a fraction of the price of even a Corvette… But it depends on what is it that you want… If you want a car that looks like a supercar, has similar performance to one, but isn’t one… Then a Corvette fits the bill.

Andres125sx

Honda Porsche fan wrote:

You´re comparing apples to oranges. Some cars are designed as a race car for the street, that´s what their customers want, ultimate perfomance even if it reduces reliability and lifespan. Some others are designed as daily cars, and price and reliability are main concerns of their customers.

And some try to meet both philosophies, a race car wich can be used daily and is reliable. The C8 meet this group, but some people will state in the end it does not comply with any of those requirements, it´s still a lot more expensive than commuters or even some sport cars, and it´s still several steps down in perfomance with any of those cars you did mention

basti313
basti313

Honda Porsche fan wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:03
Is the new Corvette C8 the best bang for the buck, meaning, the most performance per $ ? Many cars with that type of styling and performance are over $250,000 U.S. dollars.
What are you really comparing?
For me it is hard to understand what you want. It can not compare on track to a proper 911 in performance and cost. It can not compare in comfort and quality to a M3 as a daily. It is surely a good deal for a pimp or someone who likes the car.
And...it is not a supercar.
Honda Porsche fan wrote:
29 Nov 2022, 22:03
Does the Corvette expose European cars as being over priced and a rip off? Do European automakers artificially inflate their car prices?
No. Quality is just not there, you simply can not compare it with a Porsche.
AND: To say it is overpriced you would need to compare the real cost on your end. As you say, used prices are simply not there. If you compare the Corvette with other cars in its peer-group like a Porsche or a M3 or even worse the BMW i8. The sales price was quite similar, but you lost nearly 10k$ more on value to the i8 in the last 7 years. Even though the Vette is a reliable car and the BMW has batteries and an unreliable engine.
Don`t russel the hamster!

RZS10

It certainly isn't best bang for the buck in Europe, you have to pay at least 120.000€ (up to 150k) for an avaiable new one, properly used ones practically aren't available yet and even though the used car market is completely shot that money will buy those new or low mileage cars:

- at the lower price range a used Porsche 992 that is already through its price depreciation
- new 992 (up to Carrera 4S)
- used McLarens (MP4-12C, 570S, 650S)
- new 718 GT4
- one and a half 718 4.0L GTS new
- two new 718 or used 718 S (one to crash on the Nordschleife)
- Audi R8
- slightly higher mileage Lamborghinis
etc etc etc

And if the drop in value of previous models is anything to go by you'd actually pay all that money for that performance without getting much of it back when you sell it, but of course buying it used once someone else has lost all that money is a different story.
Last edited by RZS10 on 01 Dec 2022, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.

Honda Porsche fan

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 08:51

If you are talking bang for you buck, yes the Corvette fits the bill… But you are making the wrong comparison when you bring up mileage and or maintenance costs into the equation. That’s not how luxury items work.

The likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, Porsche, etc… Are luxury items, people buy them not because of how many horsepower per dollar they get, for how comfortable they are or how suitable to be daily driven (and put hundreds of thousand’s of miles on them)… They buy them because of status, because of the brand name, because of how expensive they are or because they are made in limited runs (and therefore they neighbor doesn’t own one)… It is rare that someone buys a super car because they want a track toy or because of how fast the 0-60 is.
What are the performance advantages of a naturally aspirated V8 Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini or flat 6 Porsche to a Corvette base model, Z06 and ZR1?
SmallSoldier wrote:
If you can afford (not simply acquire or buy, but actually afford it) a 400k + car, performing a 12k maintenance shouldn’t be that big of an issue, nor is it part of the purchase process consideration… It just depends on what is it that you want from the car you have purchased.
What is amazing was the number of people who bought those cars and had to sell them because they put themselves in financial debt just to be superficial and shallow. But, it's their money.
SmallSoldier wrote:
If what you care about is maintenance costs and something that is as fast or faster, you can also build something for a fraction of the price of even a Corvette… But it depends on what is it that you want… If you want a car that looks like a supercar, has similar performance to one, but isn’t one… Then a Corvette fits the bill.
If a Corvette is not a supercar, then neither is a Porsche 911.

I'm also sure someone could build a Mustang that is faster than a stock Corvette, but how much for the aftermarket turbos, connecting rods and pistons? And will it be as reliable? Or will there be bent connecting rods that need to be replaced?
Last edited by Honda Porsche fan on 30 Nov 2022, 20:36, edited 2 times in total.

Honda Porsche fan

Andres125sx wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 09:05
Honda Porsche fan wrote:

You´re comparing apples to oranges. Some cars are designed as a race car for the street, that´s what their customers want, ultimate perfomance even if it reduces reliability and lifespan. Some others are designed as daily cars, and price and reliability are main concerns of their customers.

And some try to meet both philosophies, a race car wich can be used daily and is reliable. The C8 meet this group, but some people will state in the end it does not comply with any of those requirements, it´s still a lot more expensive than commuters or even some sport cars, and it´s still several steps down in perfomance with any of those cars you did mention
The new C8 base model AND the Z06 and ZR1 are several steps down in performance compared to the Dodge Viper, Acura NSX and Toyota Supra? In what area? 0-60? Top speed? Slalom? Handling? What does the math/data say?

Honda Porsche fan

2020 Chevrolet Corvette vs. 2020 Porsche 911 Comparison: Two Icons on Equal Footing.

Z51 vs. Carrera S: The Corvette and 911 are closer than ever before...

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2020 ... st-review/

In some categories the Corvette was faster, in others the Porsche was faster. But, the Porsche is roughly around $33,000 more.

C8 Corvette Z06 vs Porsche 911 GT3...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articles/ ... e-911-gt3/

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

For the people who forget to put their foot down at the lights

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Honda Porsche fan wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 19:51
SmallSoldier wrote:

What are the performance advantages of a naturally aspirated V8 Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini or flat 6 Porsche to a Corvette base model, Z06 and ZR1?
SmallSoldier wrote:
What is amazing was the number of people who bought those cars and had to sell them because they put themselves in financial debt just to be superficial and shallow. But, it's their money.
SmallSoldier wrote:
If a Corvette is not a supercar, then neither is a Porsche 911.

I'm also sure someone could build a Mustang that is faster than a stock Corvette, but how much for the aftermarket turbos, connecting rods and pistons? And will it be as reliable? Or will there be bent connecting rods that need to be replaced?
Struggling to understand your point… What is important for you?

Aesthetics?
Performance? If it’s performance? Acceleration? Top Speed? Handling / Track Lap Times?
Status?
Low run, therefore rare to see on the road?
Engineering?
Comfort and ability to be a daily driver?

Depending on what is important for you, different cars would fit the bill.

If it’s Aesthetics, that’s very personal and everyone will have a different opinion… Impossible to rate it objectively (I don’t like Lamborghini’s style and absolutely love how a McLaren 720 looks… Couldn’t care much for how the Corvette looks really)… If it’s status? The likes of Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini, etc have done a better job at portraying themselves as luxury car and the name drives their price, do people that buy one feel ripped off? Not at all, the fact that they are driving a car that few can afford, purchase is what probably made them buy one in the first place.

When it comes down to performance… If you want a quick car of the line, buy a Tesla, lol

If it’s performance / HP per dollar… I owned a 2010 Mitsubishi Evolution X, bought brand new from the dealer for 38k and spend around 25k in building the engine, larger turbo, tubular manifold, upgraded fuel system and cooling, as well modified the suspension… so less than 70k USD for a car that would beat a stock Corvette from a dig, from a roll and at the track… But it was still a Mitsubishi, full of cheap plastic panels, noisy, uncomfortable (and if you ask my wife, not age appropriate)… Today I drive a BMW X5M, and “for me” is better than a Corvette and way better than my Mitsubishi… It is fast when I need it to be, it has enough room for when I drive with the family, can fit most anything I want in it (from Gulf Clubs, to Ski’s), it has all the creature comforts that I may need (cooled and heated seats for example) and in my eyes, it looks awesome… I wouldn’t trade it for a Corvette or a Porsche and for “my needs” is the best bang for my buck :)

Honda Porsche fan

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Nov 2022, 21:52
Today I drive a BMW X5M, and “for me” is better than a Corvette and way better than my Mitsubishi… It is fast when I need it to be, it has enough room for when I drive with the family, can fit most anything I want in it (from Gulf Clubs, to Ski’s), it has all the creature comforts that I may need (cooled and heated seats for example) and in my eyes, it looks awesome… I wouldn’t trade it for a Corvette or a Porsche and for “my needs” is the best bang for my buck :)
I haven't been following the suv market lately. How does the BMW X5M compare to the Porsche's, Acura's, Lexus' and Mercedes' suv's?

Edax
Edax

If you are interesting in performance then I’d say something like an lotus or an old rally car offer the best bang for the buck. Loads of fun, great performance and wont break the bank.

If you want prestige, then bang simply scales with buck, there is no optimum. I think both the Porsche and corvette qualify as prestige cars. Nothing wrong with that, they are both very nice cars, but the pecking order is clear.

Corvette = I couldn’t afford a Porsche or a merc
Porsche = I could not afford a Ferrari, Mclaren, or lambo