2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

runningmanz wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 16:15
djos wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 12:57
Wouter wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 12:30

I think that rule has always applied to the people who, DURING the lap when the red flag was waved, were one lap behind on the circuit while driving was in progress. Both drivers chose to enter the garage before the red flag was waved.
So they did not drive on the circuit during the red flag, were not a lap behind on the circuit driving during the red flag, but were already standing still in the garage.

They both had very, very bad luck!
The FiA rules that most sanctioned motorsports implemented stated that the red flag lap was deleted.

To give you a good example, Group A, Bathurst 1992 - it was suddenly chucking it down raining, and cars were crashing left and right.

The leading Nissan Skyline GT-R of Jim Richards and Mark Skaife had just crashed Before the race was red flagged.

As per the FIA Group A rules, they won the race on red flag count back.

PS, yes I’m old enough to have watched this race on TV. It was epic!

I am too lol, i still own a couple of VHS tapes of those races. Epic days in racing back then. Massive Nissan GTR fan here. How good was Jim Richards speech afterwards..." you're a pack of @#$!holes!!" 🤣🤣
Nice! I love the R32 GT-R, it’s one if my favourite cars of all time. My wife’s cousin still has one and I hate to think how much it’s worth now.

Jim is a total legend! That moment will never be forgotten!

PS I loved the Cosworth Sierra’s too.
Last edited by djos on 10 Nov 2023, 07:11, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Bill
Bill

runningmanz wrote:
08 Nov 2023, 06:23
Bill wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 18:03
Pupil who come here and other site and post stuff are Dan fans ,i will suggest they should just chill and watch races just like rest of us .being loud and vocal will not change the performance of either driver and if redbull choose a driver they will choose the one they want regardless of outside noise.for the record we had two races in brazil and yuki scored in both and dan zero.if yuki started at front in mexico he would have score points in the last four races.the pace of alpha will surprise a lot of people in vegas slow corner and straights will be their strength despite drag.
Theres fans on both sides posting its not just all "Dan fans" nor are they just the ones that are loud and vocal. It doesn't really bother me though if the team is doing well or when posts are objective and fair minded also supporting with factual evidence to support claims.

Your example of just highlighting that Yuki scored points and proclaiming he would have scored in Mexico starting at the front is irrelevant and a bit pointless. I mean he crashed into Oscar in the race and took himself out of the points anyway so not sure what you are on about. There is alot more to it than just a points score too. If there was no red flag Yuki would have struggled to score in Mexico and Dan would have finished 5th.

As for Brazil Ricciardo made multiple passes in the sprint and was unlucky to be repassed by Sainz under DRS and not score. Yuki wasn't even able to attempt a pass on Leclerc. Dan was hundredths off Yuki anyway in sprint qualli. So to be honest pretty evenly matched in that instance imo.

In the main race Dan was taken out through no fault of his own and was clearly the faster driver in the race as demonstrated by the live timing data, onboard video and by the ground he made up from a pit lane start. He was told to stay behind Yuki as well after catching up within 20 laps.

I guess if it is annoying hearing responses from opposing fans there is always the option to just ignore it?

I think at the moment both guys are doing a good job pushing the team forward. Both have been unlucky at times too not to have more points. Its fantastic to see how much the car has improved of late too with the help of Dan's experience and input as well.

Anyway looking forward to Vegas. It will be an exciting weekend and all the drivers will be even in terms of track experience. Hopefully AT can pass Williams there in the WCC.
I get your point buy yuki criticism is usually not fair or objective just vitriolic and trolling which just unnecessary.dan is a seven time winner he is getting comfortable with car and yuki is getting better as a driver they just no need for animus from fans.

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 22:42
runningmanz wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 16:15
djos wrote:
09 Nov 2023, 12:57

The FiA rules that most sanctioned motorsports implemented stated that the red flag lap was deleted.

To give you a good example, Group A, Bathurst 1992 - it was suddenly chucking it down raining, and cars were crashing left and right.

The leading Nissan Skyline GT-R of Jim Richards and Mark Skaife had just crashed Before the race was red flagged.

As per the FIA Group A rules, they won the race on red flag count back.

PS, yes I’m old enough to have watched this race on TV. It was epic!

I am too lol, i still own a couple of VHS tapes of those races. Epic days in racing back then. Massive Nissan GTR fan here. How good was Jim Richards speech afterwards..." you're a pack of @#$!holes!!" 🤣🤣
Nice! I love the R32 GT-R, it’s one if my favourite cars of all time. My wife’s cousin still has one and I hate to think how much it’s worth now.

Jim is a total legend! That moment will never be forgotten!

PS I loved the Cosworth Sierra’s too.

Yep they were great days back then even in the 80s when you had all the different classes racing together. Was awesome. Yeah I never was lucky enough to own a GTR but did have an R32 GTS-t with GTR bodykit for a while. Loved that car! The Sierra's were awesome too!

Back on the Vegas GP it was great seeing Ricciardo on Jimmy Kimmel live recently talking about the race etc. Good fun!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Why the team is now a regular points scorer.

"The Singapore upgrade was the starting signal. Since then, we have brought more parts to optimize the package," he told Auto Motor und Sport.

Furthermore, Ricciardo has provided a boost, mainly because of his technical insights as a driver.

"In terms of set-up, we have made great progress,” Bayer continued. “Daniel was extremely involved and helped the engineers and since then the drivers have been very satisfied with the car at the meetings. We now have the tyres well under control and we are no longer the slowest on the straights. In terms of top speed, we are now in midfield."

https://racingnews365.com/why-alphataur ... ry-weekend

djos

runningmanz wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 16:06

"The Singapore upgrade was the starting signal. Since then, we have brought more parts to optimize the package," he told Auto Motor und Sport.

Furthermore, Ricciardo has provided a boost, mainly because of his technical insights as a driver.

"In terms of set-up, we have made great progress,” Bayer continued. “Daniel was extremely involved and helped the engineers and since then the drivers have been very satisfied with the car at the meetings. We now have the tyres well under control and we are no longer the slowest on the straights. In terms of top speed, we are now in midfield."

Nice! It definitely dispels the myth that drivers should just shut up drive what they are given (like most of the McLaren fans seemed to think).
"In downforce we trust"

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 22:32
runningmanz wrote:
12 Nov 2023, 16:06

Nice! It definitely dispels the myth that drivers should just shut up drive what they are given (like most of the McLaren fans seemed to think).
Yep sounds like he has made a good contribution already to the dev and setup direction.

Also confirmation again Horner saying Dan was on the same deal as Max as the great man DM agreed. Funny exchange from DM and Horner at the time lol. DM shocked at Max salary. 🤣

Bad decision by Dan in hindsight obviously.

https://racingnews365.com/horner-badly-advised-ricciardo-walked-away-from-identical-verstappen-deal

organic

Another floor upgrade to come this season according to Duchessa. Pushing to the end to gain understanding for the winter about direction I guess

Also states that Singapore upgrade included implementation of the rb19 rear suspension which explains how transformative the performance has been especially on the tyre understanding and tyre degradation side.

https://formu1a.uno/alphatauri-sospensi ... ella-at04/

Wouter

13 November 2023

Scuderia AlphaTauri is pleased to announce a new Official Team Partner, NEFT Vodka. This long-term deal will break cover
at the next round of the Formula 1 World Championship in Las Vegas from 16 to 18 November, when the NEFT logo will appear on
the halo, wheel spray deflectors, top headrest of our AT04 cars driven by Daniel Ricciardo and Yuki Tsunoda.
https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/neft ... 3_SAT_NEFT
The Power of Dreams!

JordanMugen

djos wrote:
It does not dispel that "myth" at all, the number 2 driver's position -- be it Perez at Red Bull or Ricciardo at McLaren -- is very much to do that.

It's just fortunate that were Ricciardo to go to Red Bull, he already has a similar driving style to number 1 Red Bull driver Verstappen. [Not to say that Norris or Piastri like the handling of the McLaren, but they are able to maximise its strength and minimise its weakness unlike Ricciardo.]

Were Ricciardo to take a combative approach at Red Bull demanding car changes like Gasly did as number 2 Red Bull driver (which Ricciardo won't thankfully), then he would be dismissed like Gasly was...

Perez is thankfully reasonably quiet and doesn't complain too much (if a bit...) about the Red Bull car balance, like the aero centre of pressure, being developed away from his preferences. :)

Tsunoda seemed to have quite different preferences to Gasly too, just as Verstappen did:
It’s always different feedback compared to my team-mate [Gasly], even when we try the opposite. I have a little bit question mark [if it] is the same car - of course it’s the same car, but just the character of the car is just too different. Maybe, of course, it’s a different driving style. But yeah, I don’t know, I don’t understand what happened, why I’m struggling this much.
- Yuki Tsunoda
https://au.motorsport.com/f1/news/tsuno ... y/6504975/

It could be that coincidentally Tsunoda and Ricciardo have reasonably similar preferences, and of course Ricciardo's greater experience may allow him to express these preferences more precisely which is helpful to the AT team, if not so helpful to McLaren who were confused and concerned why Ricciardo was often unable to match their number 1 driver's laptimes despite having the data traces available to try to do so (curiously, something Piastri has had little trouble doing for the most part!).

Wouter

He deserves a seat for 2024 in F1.

The Power of Dreams!

djos

JordanMugen wrote:
13 Nov 2023, 17:58
djos wrote:
It does not dispel that "myth" at all, the number 2 driver's position -- be it Perez at Red Bull or Ricciardo at McLaren -- is very much to do that.

It's just fortunate that were Ricciardo to go to Red Bull, he already has a similar driving style to number 1 Red Bull driver Verstappen. [Not to say that Norris or Piastri like the handling of the McLaren, but they are able to maximise its strength and minimise its weakness unlike Ricciardo.]

Were Ricciardo to take a combative approach at Red Bull demanding car changes like Gasly did as number 2 Red Bull driver (which Ricciardo won't thankfully), then he would be dismissed like Gasly was...
Daniel was supposed to be the senior/ #1 driver at McLaren.

The reason James Key was fired, was he kept ignoring the drivers requests and left serious issues in the car for years. He also marginalised Peter P who was one of Adrian Newley’s star aero guys. We’ve all seen what the Mclaren team have accomplished since they fired him.

Btw, Daniel is a team player, he didn’t even take a combative approach at McLaren. Instead he tried to learn to work with the McLaren and ended up wrecking his driving style in the process.
"In downforce we trust"

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

The Cyril conversation - old news, dead wood - and not really adding anything to this AT 2023 thread
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

Wouter

With the Las Vegas GP only a few days away, the team are hoping to carry their momentum from the last few races into this exciting new chapter. Having only ever practiced the track on the sim, our drivers give us a preview of how they’ve been preparing for the race, how they feel about the weather concerns and what they are expecting when they go racing in the city of lights.

Daniel Ricciardo

“From what I’ve learned on the sim, it’s a really challenging track because there’s a lot of long straights and then these short 90-degree corners with a lot of turning and braking. The layout’s definitely interesting. I hope it provides good racing. I think the long straights definitely give it some opportunities, and because it’s also tight and twisty in some places, it’ll present quite a unique set of challenges. We know it’s going to be cold. I think getting the tyres working and the car to produce enough grip with downforce will be a big key to getting some lap time out of it. It could feel like Baku the first year when it was low-grip, which was interesting, as you had to push really hard on the out-lap to get the tyres going.

Yuki Tsunoda

“I’ve driven Vegas on the simulator, and it’s very fast with really long straights, but most of the corners are slow speed, which will require big braking. In the past, we tended to struggle at circuits that have long straights, but on a positive note, I feel this track has quite similar characteristics to Baku, where we normally perform well. I’m optimistic, but looking at the championship, I expect Williams will also be strong at this type of track, so we aim to fight hard and outscore them.
The big talking point going into this race is that it might be very cold when the cars are on track at night. Of course, our engineers have been studying this, and it will be the same temperatures for everyone. It will definitely have an effect, especially when it comes to qualifying, how we warm up the tyres and how they will behave. Even though I’ve done plenty of laps in the simulator and the team has done a lot of simulation work based on the data we have about the track, it will still be a guess as to how much grip there will be from the tyres and the track surface. It’s all unknown, but I feel we are well prepared, with a lot of data and correlation work, so I hope we’ll have a good idea going into FP1.
Here is more to read.
The Power of Dreams!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Yuki says AT are F1's dark horse now.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1040808/1 ... l-upgrades

organic

runningmanz wrote:
15 Nov 2023, 03:11
Yuki says AT are F1's dark horse now.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1040808/1 ... l-upgrades
Yes I would agree. Lately their development curve has become massively steep. Like McLaren's in the mid-season. And for AT it has happened just before winter break.. so further large gains may still yet be made. I would not be surprised if they start ahead of Alpine next year