2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill
Bill

Re: 2023 Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team

Alpha tauri underestimate yuki ability they should have given him a proper strategy .these poor strategy as dutch race.

runningmanz
runningmanz

Well done Yuki to finish 8th. Dan just misses out on 10th over Stroll. Roll on next year. Exciting times for the team. On the up it seems!

Bill
Bill

alonso and piastri were beatable if only yuki had tires.

hasika
hasika

Cant understand why the team decided one stop although everyone ran 2 stops.Yuki could finish P6 or P7 today.

Wouter

Well deserved Yuki !!

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

hasika wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:47
Cant understand why the team decided one stop although everyone ran 2 stops.Yuki could finish P6 or P7 today.
As I predicted. They have a very bad strategist!
The Power of Dreams!

CHT
CHT

Wouter wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:49
hasika wrote:
26 Nov 2023, 16:47
As I predicted. They have a very bad strategist!
They may have other things in mind, like to allow Yuki to lead the race as send-off.

Bill
Bill

problem they dont learn from their bad strategies.at one point they was a post for a strategy team leader wonder if he or she was hired.

bigblue

Is it fair to say that tyre life was somewhat of an unknown, and it seemed the Alpha Tauri was reasonably kind on it's tyres with the new floor, so the team went for it with a one stop? In hindsight, a two-stop may have been better.

Anyway, great job from Yuki, no over-driving or desperation, and he did all he could, leading the race for a few laps was a fantastic experience. Unfortunately Ricciardo didn't have a great weekend, so in the end the team ends up a couple of points short from what they would have liked. That's racing.

search

yeah, it turned out to be the wrong strategy in the end, but not sure it was really that "bad". Getting past Piastri would have been difficult on a normal strategy as well, and that's what was necessary to move up in the constructor standings.

bigblue

Ha, even they're not in agreement! https://scuderia.alphatauri.com/en/2023 ... i-gp-race/

Jonathan Eddolls (Chief Race Engineer)
We knew it would be challenging to achieve the result on pace alone, so we tried to make it work with strategy. Tyres were looking good in the first stint, so we went for the one-stop with Yuki [...] in the end, we didn’t quite have enough pace to score the required points. Whatever strategy we could’ve chosen wouldn’t have been enough to overtake Williams.

Franz Tost (Team Principal)
In the end, it was the wrong decision, because I think with a two-stop strategy we could’ve finished P6 or at least P7 with Yuki, as he was faster than other competitors that overtook him in the final laps.

stephen

Great run by Yuki today to finish 8th in the race, deserved to win the driver of the day award 👍
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

Wouter

As I said before the race about the strategy:

From PlanetF1.com:
Tost puts the blame solely on the AlphaTauri strategists.

“I’m pissed because we were too stupid to choose a correct strategy and because I had a lot of discussions on the pit wall because I said, bring Yuki in, we’re closed slowly,” he told Sky Deutschland.

“I was told that it would work out,” he added. “It’s pure arithmetic. I actually realised straight away that it probably wouldn’t work out.

“I’ll say now: A seventh place was 100 percent realistic for Yuki. Sixth, not so much, because Perez was behind us in qualifying and was simply faster [in the race]. So you had to take that into account that he was ahead.”
Sky Deutschland where he said these things:
Franz Tost (Teamchef AlphaTauri) ...

... zum Rennen: "Ich bin stocksauer, da wir zu blöd waren, eine richtige Strategie zu wählen. Ich hatte Diskussionen an der Boxenmauer und habe gesagt, dass wir Yuki reinholen sollten. Mir wurde gesagt, dass es sich schon ausgehen würde. Das ist reine Arithmetik - ich habe erkannt, dass es wahrscheinlich sich nicht ausgehen würde. Ein siebter Platz war realistisch für Yuki. Ein sechster Platz nicht, da Perez hinter uns und einfach schneller war. Dass uns Alonso noch überholt, ist ein einfaches No-Go. Das haben wir vermurkst, weil die Herren Techniker, die stundenlang vor den Computern sitzen, es nicht hinbekommen haben, die Strategie auszurechnen, die letztendlich funktioniert."

... zur Leistung von Yuki Tsunoda: "Yuki ist ein sehr gutes Rennen gefahren. Wir müssen ihm ein gutes Auto und Strategie geben, dann ist er dabei."
...on Yuki Tsunoda's performance: "Yuki drove a very good race. We have to give him a good car and strategy, then he'll be there."
The Power of Dreams!

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Wouter wrote:
27 Nov 2023, 14:00
As I said before the race about the strategy:

From PlanetF1.com:
Dass uns Alonso noch überholt, ist ein einfaches No-Go. Das haben wir vermurkst, weil die Herren Techniker, die stundenlang vor den Computern sitzen, es nicht hinbekommen haben, die Strategie auszurechnen, die letztendlich funktioniert."

'Being overtaken by ALO is a simple no-go. We messed up because the dear technicians who spend hours in front of the computers didn't manage to calculate a strategy that acutally works.'

LOL, Franz is absolutely brutal. What a legend. Ferrari should hire this man if they want to improve their race ops.

ME4ME

I strongly disagree, Tost isn't a legend he is a poor leader if he's trowing one department after the other under the bus. Last year it was the design engineers that he "lost all confidence in". Now its the strategy team.
Its not that those departments and people are blameless, but they are under Tost oversight. Tost is all about retrospective blame and none about putting things right.

What Alpha Tauri has been guilty of is doing is half hearted strategies at times; neither a perfect one nor a perfect two stop. Sometimes they got forced into doing another pit stop 5-10 laps before the end because they ran out of tyres.
At least this time in Abu Dhabi they committed to a strategy.

Yuki could run his race in clean air, saved 20+sec on a pit stop and if a safety car would've come out before his stop he would've been golden. As things turned out, a two stop was maybe the better strategy, but the one stop certainly wasn't a totally stupid one.