Ferrari 675 Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari 675 Speculation Thread

Thanks for sharing Andi, here are the illustrations from those articles

Since all the rumours have been about evolution with slight changes and add-ons, we can trust this will be the case in the end. Interesting rumour about cannon-vent in the rear. Having placed it so close to rear wing, RB benefited from slight pressure increase on the upper half, therefore adding a bit of downforce. Usually these vents are just a drag penalty. I can see Ferrari using it on 675, we'll see.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

f1316

Thanks both for the above - great to finally have a thread for this.

What do we think about wheelbases for this year? I suppose it’s a general question for all cars but also specifically for the Ferrari.

I wondered aloud last year if wheelbases might shrink vs the prior era in order to claw back some slow corner performance (the Achilles heel of these new regs) while the high speed downforce would probably rely less on a long car to generate downforce (since so much of that is underfloor). That didn’t seem to be the case for anyone other than Alfa Romeo - and you could argue that having a shorter car didn’t necessarily enhance their slow corner performance (albeit it’s hard to extrapolate one thing from another) - but I believe I read elsewhere that Mercedes might be losing some wheelbase length this year.

From the above rumours, while I did note that the sidepods will reduce in length, that seemed to be to enhance the coke bottle, not an indication of overall length. So my read is that this evolution wouldn’t be likely to do anything dramatically different in terms of wheelbase (and I believe there’s also now a max length they can’t exceed - so folks aren’t able to go the other way and continue to increase length), but curious if anyone has thoughts.

AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 11:28

https://c.cdnmp.net/173493588/content/F ... vealed.png

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/raci ... 1671209971
Why is it presumed that the shark fin will shrink?

the EDGE

Vanja #66 wrote:

Since all the rumours have been about evolution with slight changes and add-ons, we can trust this will be the case in the end. Interesting rumour about cannon-vent in the rear. Having placed it so close to rear wing, RB benefited from slight pressure increase on the upper half, therefore adding a bit of downforce. Usually these vents are just a drag penalty. I can see Ferrari using it on 675, we'll see.
Could they not have done this last season, I thought the sidepods were mostly empty in that area?

What has had to be altered on the car to allow for this change?

Big Tea

the EDGE wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 00:55
Vanja #66 wrote:

Could they not have done this last season, I thought the sidepods were mostly empty in that area?

The sidepod design is also part of the floor stiffness. Maybe it was to much of a change
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
31 Dec 2022, 22:20
Why is it presumed that the shark fin will shrink?
No idea, error I think.

the EDGE wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 00:55

Internal flow and cooling was arranged in a completely different manner, so it would have been hard to make such a big change. If this turns out to be the truth, we can expect slight rearrangement of cooling elements.

Also, it's suggested the sidepod undercut will be substantial, so this also suggests internal repackaging. Nothing of such magnitude can be done during the season due to cost cap. Such big changes might mean big changes to the chassis itself also.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

f1jcw

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 15:59

Also, it's suggested the sidepod undercut will be substantial, so this also suggests internal repackaging. Nothing of such magnitude can be done during the season due to cost cap. Such big changes might mean big changes to the chassis itself also.
as we’ve already seen it seems the cost cap is detrimental to closer racing not aiding.

Andi76

f1jcw wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 18:22
Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jan 2023, 15:59

as we’ve already seen it seems the cost cap is detrimental to closer racing not aiding.
Even if i am not a friend of the cost cap (i think F1 should be a "technological warfare" without limitations)- i don't agree with what you say. Without the cost cap, the big teams could literally make hundreds of changes every race, while the smaller teams could not. So the gap would get even bigger. With the cost cap, everyone has the same money to spend. So its about efficiency in developement and how good your "tools" and people are. At the end of the day there is a higher possibility that, within a few years, there will be a closer grid. Without a cost cap, "the rich teams" can always throw additional money and people on a problem, without any chance for the others to catch up.

FDD
FDD

I think that Ferrari will elongate outwash element at front lower portion of the sidepod, something similar to RB and they already do that this year with a little extent only, since that major rearrangement of cooling system and chassis is needed for bigger changes in that area.

FDD
FDD

aleks_ader

FDD wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 15:31
I think that Ferrari will elongate outwash element at front lower portion of the sidepod, something similar to RB and they already do that this year with a little extent only, since that major rearrangement of cooling system and chassis is needed for bigger changes in that area.
You mean more undercut.

But that could not be possible due different coke bottle treatment that Ferrari has.
Its good question witch one is best solution.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Vanja #66

aleks_ader wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 20:56
You mean more undercut.

But that could not be possible due different coke bottle treatment that Ferrari has.
Its good question witch one is best solution.
Depends where the undercut is, its not quite unambiguous. In either case, I think we will see both slightly streamlined (halfway to RB-like design) cutout under the intakes and also slightly shorter minimum width of sidepods near the floor.

#Aerogimli
#BlessYouLaddie

VacuousFlamboyant

I don't buy the large undercut spanning across the sidepods. I think it has been thrown out by the top teams to mislead others. Most teams have figured the "aero balance" at this point and they probably won't look like this.

They are most certainly repackaging everything they can while reducing weight. Maybe an aggressive cutout underneath the rear would be more beneficial than shrinking the sidepods like Haas, though a robust and more streamlined cutout section at the front would be much appreciated. Something more in line with the RB18's philosophy.

FDD
FDD

Intersting analyzes/speculations by Formula Uno Analisi Tecnica:
"...There is also a mystery regarding the homologation of the Ferrari 675 chassis , unlike last season where the tests were brilliantly passed in the second half of December 2021.
F1. Ferrari 675 : tactical silence or maximization of the design phase?
In recent seasons, the certification of the crash tests performed in the Bollate CSI was almost always achieved in the month of December. The unprecedented silence regarding the outcome of the tests lends itself to various interpretations. The recent change at the helm of Ferrari 's sports management may have slowed down the "normal" operations of the technical area, in the midst of the handover between Mattia Binotto and Frederic Vassuer .

Another hypothesis leads to greater secrecy on the part of the Modena team , regarding any milestone achieved by the 675 project in order not to grant any information, even if marginal, to competitors . The most suggestive assumption, endorsed by the information gleaned from the Formula One Technical Analysis editorial team, concerns the allocation of extra time that the GES technical area has decided to spend to make the most of the resources in the aerodynamic design phase . A kind of fine tuningof the project so dear to the British who, by virtue of this approach, have often failed the first crash test attempts, reaching the necessary approval only on the wire.
If this indiscretion is confirmed, as it seems, it is legitimate to hypothesize that the next single-seater of the Prancing Horse could differ significantly, in terms of aerodynamics, compared to the F1-75 ."