F1 In Schools: Question about Wings.

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
kermatine
kermatine

F1 In Schools: Question about Wings.

So, where i live F1 in Schools isn't a thing. But from what I can tell, it looks like its just a straight line contest, and which car produces the least amount of drag. My question is this: Why do the teams make front/rear wings? Wouldn't removing them and making a very curvy, low profile car give the lowest amount of drag? Or are they forced to keep the wings as part of the rules? Thank you.

Airshifter

Re: F1 In Schools: Question about Wings.

From your post it's obvious F1 isn't in schools. And I don't know that it's really in any normal schools, just possibly at college level in some schools.

If F1 was only about straight line speed, the cars would reflect it. To the contrary F1 is more about cornering and braking forces, which are far superior to most racing series. The fact that they go fast in a straight line as well is simply because they have sufficient power and gear ratios to overcome the drag induced by the wings and the floor. And they also corner so much faster they don't have to accelerate as much as a car without downforce would have to. They are already exiting the corners at a much higher speed.