2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mvfad

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

F1doc wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:09
Let's see what excuse Lance has for today's lacklustre performance. Second in the constructors is very much in threat due to his incompetency in bringing home clean weekends.
According to a Brazilian reporter, Aston reported that he abandoned the race because of brake problems. :-k

Mr.S
Mr.S

Zynerji wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:25
Mansell89 wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:19
Superb from Alonso again- another weekend with the maximum available delivered on Sunday. What a driver.

Aston have a great base car to build on for these next couple of seasons- especially if they can unlock the Red Bull drag efficiency

I feel that they are very, very close. If their wind tunnel advantage is used and produces results, the back 9 of the season could legitimately be a toss-up.
In a race where straightline speed doesn't matter, Max was ahead in pure race pace (which is supposed to be a strength for the AM), maybe 2-3 tenths per lap but surely ahead. With a normal circuit with straights & fast corners, RB will have their half a second advantage, 2-3 tenths coming from a straight alone & maybe a shade from the faster corners. Aston, IMO, needs half a second in the next 3 upgrades to close the gap to RB. Even then, RB will probably be ahead, they will also bring upgrades, gain something & develop as well. But this gap of 4-5 tenths will be down 1-2 tenths odd & in some tracks, Aston can fight for the win in terms of pure pace.

F1doc wrote:
Let's see what excuse Lance has for today's lacklustre performance. Second in the constructors is very much in threat due to his incompetency in bringing home clean weekends.

Missed chance today with Alonso's pit call, but it would still have been a long shot even if he did go onto Inters. Max still had a significant time margin.
Lance will never lose his seat due to his dad owning the team. But if Aston can close the gap to RB, Lance can take points off Ferrari & Mercedes & be in the pitstop window to actually help Alonso fight for occasional wins as well, like Perez did in Abu Dhabi for Max. Also, when Ferrari & Mercedes sort their issues, they will pile up the pressure on Aston & if they keep scoring good points through both drivers, Alonso's P3 will not be enough for Aston to hold on to P2 in the Constructors Championships.
This kind of mistakes don't work @ this level when you fight for wins. It was clear & raining quite hard (Enough rain for the Inters) & the Pirelli Inters work great even in drying conditions & the Wet Tyres are crap anyways, so it was the only choice. Perhaps Stroll's initial data was not good (They Pitted Lance for Inters) but they should have known it would have take 1-2 laps to warm those tyres too. The Drivers were barely struggling to keep the car in the track. With these kind of blunders, you don't fight for wins, forget championships. This was a Ferrari level mistake (Like their stupid Box to Overtake Ocon joke of a message, I think most of the viewers were laughing @ them & Ferrari don't realize how ridiculous they looked).
Last edited by Mr.S on 28 May 2023, 17:45, edited 4 times in total.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

mvfad wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:38
F1doc wrote:
According to a Brazilian reporter, Aston reported that he abandoned the race because of brake problems. :-k
Wouldn’t surprise me with the amount of fairly hefty bashes he had. Surprised the car was in one piece after lap 1!

Gillian
Gillian

mendis wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:35
Great race by Alonso. He made it Max earn that win, until rain arrived. Once it rained, it was chaos and Max is a good wet racer. Hope AM brings some strong upgrades to put Alonso closer to Max.
Definitely, such a good drive by Alonso!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It's crazy that with all of Alonso's heroics and what is clearly a better car, they are only 1 point ahead of Mercedes in the WCC. Stroll is not carrying his weight.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Fernando more than maximised points once again and higher step on the podium today. Shame about Lance and the team's call to put mediums instead of inters, could've been right there with Max. Great job Fernando with one of the best season starts I've ever seen.

AMR23 is not on the same level at all as the RB18 on race pace yet. Neither is the strategy team, but that's okay as long as the team is learning and it has a lot of potential.Though anyone who suggests that they need a reprimand or even sacking (saw that on the Autosport forums) is wrong. Of course they will review it internally but the least thing you need to do is undermine the team. Fernando himself didn't tell publicly during the team radio about that mistake, and it's Fernando of all people.

Once again Fernando flawless not making any big mistakes while on mediums and a complete wet track while others were running away and touching the wall.

Mr.S wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:30
The floor is fairly basic so I don't why they haven't brought a floor upgrade, they should have had multiple floor upgrades or should have by 1st Half which is where most of the time should come from.
They've seen the RB floor now so they can upgrade for sure

Mr.S wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:30
I think everyone wants Alonso to break the 10 year lull of not having any wins this season !
Wins doesn't really matter. What matters is the championship. I couldn't care less about not getting a win this season as long as the team makes another step up next year and fights for the wdc. And Fernando probably thinks the same. Obviously a race win wouldn't hurt, but he's not here just to win a race, he's here to win the world championship.

Bisonas

Great race from Alonso.

Well after analyzing times and sectors from Alonso, VER, (after ALO did his first pit) and sectors of other people running intermediates at the same time, my analysis says that if the team had fitted Alonso with inters in the first pit, it would have been extremely close with VER and potentially Alonso would have taken the lead after VER pitted.
Sector times and analysis, in hindsight, suggest that Alonso would have taken the lead, but i can't calculate exactly the warm up on the exit lap for the Intermediate. Other people where much faster and flying on them instantly and other people needed at least one lap, being really cautious with them, before getting up to maximum speed.

Either way ALO would have ended up either in front or right at the back of VER, (but having the Inters in a more optimal window because he would have done a lap on them already)

It was a bad call, no arguing there, back to back pits for tires, (with no other car issue) always suggests that someone did a bad call.

To be fair to the team, they knew they had the better tire, compared to Verstappen and wanted to wait it out as much as possible.
Alonso started feeling a little bit uncomfortable on the radio, when the first drops came, telling them that maybe it isn't worth the risk. (risk of putting it to the wall and losing 2nd place i guess). The hard is the worst tire to be on, when rain starts falling (he also told them that). But he also said many times to the team, it's all about the forecast. (Meaning that they (the team) know better, what is going on with the rain forecast. Well with Alonso pointing out the risks of staying out on hards in those conditions, maybe, just maybe, rushed the team a little bit into making a bad call. This is no excuse for the team ofc, Alonso was just pointing out the risks.

Anyway, doesn't really matter. Very good race and pace from Alonso.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Wrong call by the team to switch to Medium on the first pit-stop but I am surprised Alonso didn't overrule the team's call & asked for inters. Max confirmed the same when the Redbull pit wall suggest 'Inters'.

KimiRai
KimiRai

The faster car finished ahead is my opinion. A 10 for Fernando.

The Prodigy
The Prodigy

What Fernando showed this season so far is just pure perfection.

Big Tea

mvfad wrote:
28 May 2023, 17:38
F1doc wrote:
He did not press it soon enough ?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Fernando:
We aren't the fastest, but we also weren't the fastest in 2010 and we arrived first on the championship at Abu Dhabi, we weren't the fastest in 2012 and we arrived with options in Brazil. That is the path we will take, without thinking too much on the WDC but also without forgetting about it. A couple DNFs from Max or some issue like Pérez had here and you rapidly recover points, so we will be the most consistent possible and be diligent. Today our maximum result was 2nd and we finished 2nd, and that's the best we do.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

we are gonna win the WDC

Big Tea

Alonsismo wrote:
29 May 2023, 01:50
we are gonna win the WDC
Not a probability, but I will be celebrating with you if it happens. =D>
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Otromundo

It is said that the devil knows more for being old than for being a devil.

I think that Fernando's current strategy is based -after having verified that choosing AM was a success- on his experience and on the certainty that there are still 16 races to go... quite a few.

So now Fernando is familiarizing himself with the car, the team, the new facilities, the owner and his son... while collecting as many points as he can. Because it's the best he can do now: he still can't overtake the RBs but little by little he is verifying that he is the first of the rest of the pilots.

Knowing how he is because we are both Spanish and I think I know him a bit, I imagine that soon he will be almost a pleasant torment for the team: he will want to know everything about everything. It is what we call in Spain "he will gradually tighten the screws".

At the same time, in the meantime, he will wait for the mistakes of the RBs. Pérez was unlucky in qualifying for Monaco. And Max also miraculously saved several times on his stellar qualifying lap. He brushed everywhere and it didn't happen anymore because he is Max Verstappen. But even Marc Márquez ran out of luck one day "from taking the jug to the fountain so much", another Spanish saying.

The RBs are very good but there are 16 races left. Max puts a lot of work on the RB's driveshafts. He pushes the whole car to the max, it seems like he couldn't drive any other way and it's a pleasure to watch. But there are 16 races left. And Perez is not Max.

When the fighting bulls enter the ring, the bullfighters observe them with full attention: how they run, charge and move. They look at such magnificent animals from afar with a very peculiar expression because every little detail is very important. I have seen that way of looking so peculiar in Fernando many times. RBs are also bulls, interestingly.
Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.