2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

It appeared that most of the cars were sitting very close to the "grand divide " of tire temperature, slowed a very small amount from really hot pace and they slipped just into cooler and less ultimate grip, as in the opposite direction it squeezed them just into optimum-ish balance of traction and wear/longevity.

Not much shift, but those drivers with accute experience of marshaling grip seem to have a heightened perspective of exactly where they are on that scale. Sometimes a little surprise is inevitable though, FA example in oversteer and GR example of understeer going in to then give offline trajectory with not enough room to work with on exit. GR quite sanguine about having close walls though.
It must be fun running them as close as possible to the barriers for a driver though, leaving nothing to spare.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 10:53

We need Lance to have more consistent weekends, I hope it starts from Austria. Wish I'd know what is the problem if there is any. No one is asking for him to beat Fernando but he needs to be in decent points scoring positions at least. He's not as bad as his last races would say, so I trust he needs to get into a good rhythm.
Is it a coincidence that Perez and Stroll are both "struggling" massively against teammates with surnames Verstappen and Alonso?

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 21:33
Ive noticed the car being a looser on the rear end as shown by Lance spinning and Fernando with that uncharacteristic wall hit. Compare to the start of the season when it looked absolutely planted when Stroll drover around the outside on Sainz at the hairpin in Jeddah.
I've rewatched the onboard of the race and you are right, with the first stint on the Mediums Alonso had pretty big oversteer moments. Cronin (his engineer) says on the radio after the stop that those mediums had a little left rear graining. The hard tyre seemed to work better.

When the Williams virtual safety happened on the first laps of the race, it ended right after the DRS detection and that meant Alonso couldn't use DRS when Hamilton was caught a bit sleeping on the restart, so he was a bit unlucky there because he would've passed him if it had ended a little earlier.

Another interesting thing is on Lap 32 Alonso says on the hairpin "I have a little bit less deployment", to which Cronin replies "Copy Fernando that is as expected, as expected". What could that possibly be?

F1doc
F1doc

KimiRai wrote:

We need Lance to have more consistent weekends, I hope it starts from Austria. Wish I'd know what is the problem if there is any.
Lance has never shown any high level of consistency in his F1 career. It isn't likely to change anytime soon. There is plenty of talk from his camp of potential and improving with experience, but he's had over 130 starts and not shown anything more than false dawns like Bahrain this year.

I've written before that he is the weakest link to AMR's ambitions. The lack of Q3 appearances isn't down to bad luck, but down to his average performances in a field of more talented competitors and a close midfield pack. The pack will keep tightening up and his results will dip. If you had to look at the "Top 4" teams and pick a driver to not score, I would hazard a guess that Stroll would be the most likely name to come up.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Alonso, Hamilton and Max are teammate destroyer. Until team save them with tactics like how Rosberg got his only one WDC with German car manufacture Mercedes for German driver.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 12:52
peewon wrote:
Ive noticed the car being a looser on the rear end as shown by Lance spinning and Fernando with that uncharacteristic wall hit. Compare to the start of the season when it looked absolutely planted when Stroll drover around the outside on Sainz at the hairpin in Jeddah.
I've rewatched the onboard of the race and you are right, with the first stint on the Mediums Alonso had pretty big oversteer moments. Cronin (his engineer) says on the radio after the stop that those mediums had a little left rear graining. The hard tyre seemed to work better.

When the Williams virtual safety happened on the first laps of the race, it ended right after the DRS detection and that meant Alonso couldn't use DRS when Hamilton was caught a bit sleeping on the restart, so he was a bit unlucky there because he would've passed him if it had ended a little earlier.

Another interesting thing is on Lap 32 Alonso says on the hairpin "I have a little bit less deployment", to which Cronin replies "Copy Fernando that is as expected, as expected". What could that possibly be?
My guess would be that you end up with less deployment with lift and coast. You loosing some of the regenerative braking.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 14:22
KimiRai wrote:
peewon wrote:

My guess would be that you end up with less deployment with lift and coast. You loosing some of the regenerative braking.
In theory, the MGU-H is able to harvest when the driver lifts (this will go away from 2026, sadly).

KimiRai
KimiRai

diffuser wrote:

Makes sense yes, the brake balance is also adjusted forwards. Maybe that's the reason Mercedes thought he had a rear brakes issue.

Skippon
Skippon

The Mercedes Engine engineers {HPP} would have known that AM did not have an issue fueling the engine {as they see all the engine related data}- so the race team assumed it was a braking issue {which data they can't see}.

rbirules
rbirules

KimiRai wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 09:27
when was the last year that there were 3 multiple WDC's on the podium? it had to be last century unless you count lewis before he got his second in 2014.
If Australia this year doesn't count then it would be Qatar 2021.
Australia counts, Qatar 2021 doesn't because Max hadn't won any championships at the point, but I'm assuming they are asking about prior to the two times it's happened with this trio of drivers this year.

Lewis wasn't a multiple WDC until the start of 2015, and Fernando's last podium prior to 2021 was 2014, so there haven't been any including Alonso, Lewis, and Seb where they were all multiple WDC.

Schumacher doesn't overlap two others, neither does Mika. Piquet was only around for one season after Senna became a multiple WDC and despite three podiums he was never joined by Senna and Prost in 1991, as far as I could tell.

I couldn't have been Lauda-Piquet-Prost since Lauda's last year was Prost's first WDC.

Stewart wasn't around long enough for there to be a Lauda-Stewart-Fittipaldi podium.

Couldn't be Clark-Hill-Brabham because Clark was done in 1968 when Hill won his second, thus no chance for that podium in 1969.

I'm not sure it's ever happened before this year.

KimiRai
KimiRai

rbirules wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 17:01
KimiRai wrote:
zoroastar wrote:
when was the last year that there were 3 multiple WDC's on the podium? it had to be last century unless you count lewis before he got his second in 2014.
Australia counts, Qatar 2021 doesn't because Max hadn't won any championships at the point, but I'm assuming they are asking about prior to the two times it's happened with this trio of drivers this year.

Lewis wasn't a multiple WDC until the start of 2015, and Fernando's last podium prior to 2021 was 2014, so there haven't been any including Alonso, Lewis, and Seb where they were all multiple WDC.

Schumacher doesn't overlap two others, neither does Mika. Piquet was only around for one season after Senna became a multiple WDC and despite three podiums he was never joined by Senna and Prost in 1991, as far as I could tell.

I couldn't have been Lauda-Piquet-Prost since Lauda's last year was Prost's first WDC.

Stewart wasn't around long enough for there to be a Lauda-Stewart-Fittipaldi podium.

Couldn't be Clark-Hill-Brabham because Clark was done in 1968 when Hill won his second, thus no chance for that podium in 1969.

Oh you're right, forgot Max wasn't a WDC yet in 2021. He certainly drove like he was one though.

Chuckjr

AR3-GP wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 16:01
My god I love that man. Absolute confidence with no apologies, doubts, or F’s given. Max and Lewis can’t help but smile because they know he will wipe the floor with Perez, and there’s not a damn thing Checo can do about it. What a ---’ guy. Hells to the yes man. Give em’ the heater Fred!! LFG!!!!
Watching F1 since 1986.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 16:04
diffuser wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

In theory, the MGU-H is able to harvest when the driver lifts (this will go away from 2026, sadly).

When your off the throttle?

zoroastar
zoroastar

KimiRai wrote:
zoroastar wrote:

well technically, max didnt have a single WDC at that point. it doesnt matter, i was just curious haha. there were probably a few times when alonso, vettel and lewis were on the podium together, but not while lewis had more than one title

zoroastar
zoroastar

rbirules wrote:
20 Jun 2023, 17:01
KimiRai wrote:
zoroastar wrote:

haha, thanks for the info. yes i meant before this year. as far back as you are going, i wonder if its ever happened to be honest. seems like one of the media stations would have mentioned it if that was the case though. i do know that 11 total championships on the podium at once is no doubt a record.
Last edited by zoroastar on 20 Jun 2023, 22:07, edited 1 time in total.