2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
issey
issey

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

OnEcRiTiCaL wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 17:02
organic wrote:
24 Nov 2023, 16:35
More experimentation
Aston Martin evaluated "various configurations" in both sessions today. Regarding the sidepod/floor part, Drugovich and Alonso used the specification that debuted in Austin while Stroll used the latest one, seen in Brazil.
So they still don't know the right path... amazing
They are obviously testing to see which parts work the best for Abu Dhabi…testing for 2024 was in FP1 with Drugo with aero-rakes

-wkst-
-wkst-

DRU started with the normal spec FW, changed to Silverstone spec version, ran the Austin spec floor/sidepod and ran the old RW.

ALO started with the Silverstone spec FW, changed to the normal version, ran the Austin spec floor/sidepod and ran the new RW.

STR old floor/sidepod in FP1 and 2, new RW in FP1 and 2, Silverstone spec in FP1, FP2 FW unknown from my side.

Honestly, better test it out this year to have a good 2024.

quincalla
quincalla

That's the old floor back on Fernando's car during fp2.

mvfad

In the onboards in FP1, Stroll's car seemed more "planted" on the ground than Drugovich's when braking and accelerating in sectors 1 and 2. But Drugo's car seemed better in sector 3. That's the impression I got. I haven't seen FP2.

-wkst-
-wkst-

All the time they test a lot in the practice sessions they are nowhere….

diffuser

They both ran the kickless sidepods in FP3 and now are running them in Quali.

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 16:11
All the time they test a lot in the practice sessions they are nowhere….
Alot of the testing isn't for this race.

mvfad

Stroll like almost always: performing very well for a rookie, except for the fact that it is his 7th year in the F1. lol

diffuser

Sector 2 is basically 2 long straights with 2 low speed corners in between. Alonso was the slowest of the drivers that made it into the top 10. He was 6KPH slower than Max at the end of each straight.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

Anybody can link a race place simulation?Thanks

KimiRai
KimiRai

There really isn't much to expect from the last race of the year so I haven't watched qualifying, but looking at the results, not sure if anything happened to him but a bit disappointed with Stroll... I thought he was going to do better

KimiRai
KimiRai

Qualifying ‘used to be the best session, now it’s the worst’ – Alonso

Fernando Alonso says the latest change to Formula 1’s qualifying session proves the current format no longer works.

The Aston Martin driver has criticised the format before and called for the introduction of single-lap qualifying. Following today’s session he said a new rule forbidding drivers from overtaking in the pit exit added yet more complexity to a format he believes is flawed.

The rule is the latest in a series of changes F1 has introduced to prevent dangerous situations developing when drivers on timed runs catch others who are running slowly at the end of a lap waiting to start. This led to the introduction of a maximum time between the pit exit and pit entrance.

During practice yesterday, Max Verstappen overtook several drivers in the pit lane entrance as they tried to build gaps to the cars ahead of them before being bound to the maximum lap time. The stewards introduced the rule barring overtakes at the pit exit to prevent a repeat during qualifying.

Alonso said that “didn’t change much” change much during the session, but said it shows the shortcomings of the F1’s three-part qualifying system, which it has used since 2006.

“It proves that the qualifying format is obsolete,” he said. “We cannot have these things and this stress.

“It used to be the best session of the weekend where the cars come alive, you drive these very fast cars. And now it’s the worst session of the weekend for the teams, for drivers, for traffic management, for track limits, going to the stewards, not respecting the delta, impeding people, deleting the laps.

“We are all happy that it’s over and it should not be like that.”

He said the need to take greater risks in pursuit of performance, due to how closely matched many of the cars are, adds to the stress of qualifying.

“You’re risking more unfortunately, because there is no way that you can be a bit calmer in one corner and lose one tenth [of a second],” he said. “You cannot afford that any more because you are out of the session.

“So I think it’s very stressful for everyone. Also the track limits is a very painful matter that we go through every every lap. But it’s the same for everybody so we try to execute it better.”

Despite his dissatisfaction with the qualifying format, Alonso was pleased to qualify as high as seventh.

“I was expecting less, actually,” he admitted. “After [final practice], I think we were 14th and 15th. We had some concerns about the pace of the car and the set-up and we were thinking what to do into qualifying.

“Even in Q1 I only went through P13. So I thought it was a tough Saturday for us. But then we followed the track evolution, we got more confidence with the car and then P7 is definitely the best result we were hoping for.”
https://www.racefans.net/2023/11/25/qua ... st-alonso/

I agree with his criticism of the format and the over-regulation of the FIA and I think one-lap qualifying would be beneficial for his driving style, so why not. In any case, looking at his whole year in qualifying, finishing 19-3 against Stroll is pretty good. Maybe 5 years ago he would have Vandoorned him 22-0, but at 42 years old it's still a great level to be at. But for the sake of the team and the constructor's championship it would be better if Stroll was a bit closer next year.
Last edited by KimiRai on 25 Nov 2023, 23:03, edited 2 times in total.

yinlad

KimiRai wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 22:03
There really isn't much to expect from the last race of the year so I haven't watched qualifying, but looking at the results, not sure if anything happened to him but a bit disappointed with Stroll... I thought he was going to do better
Tight session, was only a tenth or two off Alo in Q2
MVRC - Panthera

KimiRai
KimiRai

yinlad wrote:
25 Nov 2023, 23:01
KimiRai wrote:
Tight session, was only a tenth or two off Alo in Q2
A bit more than that, according to results he was off 291 miliseconds, so near 3 tenths.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
He got wheel spin on the exit of turn 5 in Q2 and that was enough to be out.