2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

alonso full race onboard + telemetry
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XkqKTN ... sp=sharing

diffuser

NAPI10 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 22:02
KimiRai wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 21:31
In other news, this Spanish publication is reporting that if Mercedes don't improve and Aston keeps beating them then the engines with the best numbers will go to Aston Martin, which would mean an increase of 4 hp. Not too sure about the reliability of the portal but I share it anyways.

https://theobjective.com/deportes/2023- ... formula-1/
Things move so fast in F1;Hamilton will be irked for sure :D :D
Yeah, the real question is what discrepancy in power will the regulations allow?

I also find it strange that merc would run a higher powered PU for testing... to what end? So they can turn it down? Plus those regs don't apply for testing. The FIA isn't checking the sensors then. They might just check the functionality of them.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 16:22
NAPI10 wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 21:31
In other news, this Spanish publication is reporting that if Mercedes don't improve and Aston keeps beating them then the engines with the best numbers will go to Aston Martin, which would mean an increase of 4 hp. Not too sure about the reliability of the portal but I share it anyways.

https://theobjective.com/deportes/2023- ... formula-1/
Yeah, the real question is what discrepancy in power will the regulations allow?

I also find it strange that merc would run a higher powered PU for testing... to what end? So they can turn it down? Plus those regs don't apply for testing. The FIA isn't checking the sensors then. They might just check the functionality of them.
You're misunderstanding the point. The PUs are not being deliberately run at different power levels.

The differences in power output are related to the realities of the manufacturing process. It is virtually impossible for two PUs perform identically to the nearest tenth of a kilowatt at all RPMs. It's not deliberate, and it's accepted by both the FIA and the customer teams as long as these differences are rather small. 4hp is "small", but still you'd rather have the PU with the 4 extra hp.

Henk_v
Henk_v

AM went through the process of getting their endplated 22 wing legalized by the FIA.
As in any design process, the design was probably selected from various creative options. What are the odds they learned a few more alleys within the regulations and show up with something funky again?

NutritionFact

What you think about? Closed sidepods with a 2nd ramp? 🫣
"In my time the Pit babe was there instead of the telemetry."
Gerhard Berger

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 16:40
diffuser wrote:
NAPI10 wrote:

You're misunderstanding the point. The PUs are not being deliberately run at different power levels.

The differences in power output are related to the realities of the manufacturing process. It is virtually impossible for two PUs perform identically to the nearest tenth of a kilowatt at all RPMs. It's not deliberate, and it's accepted by both the FIA and the customer teams as long as these differences are rather small. 4hp is "small", but still you'd rather have the PU with the 4 extra hp.
I understand, but the rules don't allow for power differences and the FIA have several sensors to make sure of it.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 04:16
AR3-GP wrote:
diffuser wrote:

I understand, but the rules don't allow for power differences and the FIA have several sensors to make sure of it.
I don't want to belabor the point, but it's worth repeating that it doesn't matter how badly Mercedes want the PUs to be identical. It's not possible. As I explained previously, these are the realities of the manufacturing process. Tolerances. Small differences in friction between the rotating components due to tolerances. There will be very small differences in power output.

It doesn't matter "what the rules say" or that the FIA have "several sensors". Mercedes do their best to make sure the PUs are as close as possible, and historically, the customer teams have never complained. It's one of those things where you look the other way because you're the customer and 4hp is not something to ruin a relationship over.

diffuser

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 04:28
diffuser wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 04:16
AR3-GP wrote:

I don't want to belabor the point, but it's worth repeating that it doesn't matter how badly Mercedes want the PUs to be identical. It's not possible. As I explained previously, these are the realities of the manufacturing process. Tolerances. Small differences in friction between the rotating components due to tolerances. There will be very small differences in power output.

It doesn't matter "what the rules say" or that the FIA have "several sensors". Mercedes do their best to make sure the PUs are as close as possible, and historically, the customer teams have never complained. It's one of those things where you look the other way because you're the customer and 4hp is not something to ruin a relationship over.
Doesn’t matter if the have 200HP more. If the FIA say they have be the same at the sensors. Well, they're not allowed to use the xtra power or risk being disqualified.

Obviously, there is gonna be an acceptable + or - . It would probably be a good idea to not allow Merc to use all the + PUs. In other words one of 3 PU would have to be -.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Who knows except those that validates the power units on the dyno which is + and which is minus, and who can stop the manufacturer distribution/allocations of power units to customer teams. This is besides the fact that the manufacturing process and the regulations deems any + or minus of no consequence to the end user.

Wouter

snajam wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 19:01
KimiRai wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 17:12
Franz Tost on Aston Martin:

"Aston Martin took half the aerodynamic employees from Red Bull."

"Of course, they build the same car and paint it green."
If they bark enough it means Aston is doing a good job.
I also fail to see why is everyone barking that they look the same. Amr22b was a copy. This year apart from some features like the undercut, sidepod lip and front suspension, there is no other resemblance like the RB. The amr23 is a well though out fusion of many concepts on the grid. We obviously don't know of the floor, but the fences are also nowhere near RB like.

Foolish noises coming from the entire RB camp
Is that so?
The Red Bull leaders have a similar opinion, with Christian Horner concluding:
"Aston Martin has actually shown all the teams what is possible. They have done a very good job.
And anyway, copying is very flattering, that's actually the biggest compliment you can get.
In that respect it's kind of nice to see that our old car can still come along so well..."
The Power of Dreams!

snajam
snajam

Wouter wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 10:23
snajam wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 17:12

If they bark enough it means Aston is doing a good job.
I also fail to see why is everyone barking that they look the same. Amr22b was a copy. This year apart from some features like the undercut, sidepod lip and front suspension, there is no other resemblance like the RB. The amr23 is a well though out fusion of many concepts on the grid. We obviously don't know of the floor, but the fences are also nowhere near RB like.

Is that so?
"Aston Martin has actually shown all the teams what is possible. They have done a very good job.
And anyway, copying is very flattering, that's actually the biggest compliment you can get.
In that respect it's kind of nice to see that our old car can still come along so well..."
Isn't it? That last paragraph is exactly what I mean, an unnecessary and false dig, how is the Amr23 last year's RB? How is it copying? They're just subtle ways of taking credit for others work. I've usually sided with RB when it makes sense but unfortunately it seems the non technical brass (including checo) have gone blind. You wont hear these statements from Newey, as they are factually untrue. Never did we hear Alpine accusing amr when the most unique visible feature on the car comes from them.

Wouter

snajam wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 11:40
Wouter wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 10:23
snajam wrote:

Is that so?
Isn't it? That last paragraph is exactly what I mean, an unnecessary and false dig, how is the Amr23 last year's RB? How is it copying? They're just subtle ways of taking credit for others work. I've usually sided with RB when it makes sense but unfortunately it seems the non technical brass (including checo) have gone blind.
You wont hear these statements from Newey, as they are factually untrue. Never did we hear Alpine accusing amr when the most unique visible feature on the car comes from them.
Dream On! Dan Fallows has worked with Newey for 15 years and knows his way of working inside out.
It's only natural that he remembers his good designs and uses some of it.
The Power of Dreams!

Alo_Fan

Dan Fallows is a smart guy himself, he would have been behind some of the concepts at RBR (before he left the team) and no doubt has some ideas of his own to improve upon them. Can't wait till the end of the season and see how far the AMR 23 has come from Bahrain.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Any idea where Alonso would have been in race trim in clean air versus the Red Bulls?

Obviously he got stuck behind Mercedes to start with and eventually Ferrari- before then turning the engine down (as did Max and Checo).

Any idea what the race lap time differential was?

I know he wouldn’t have been a threat for race win but interested to have an idea of the gap.

Anyone see any “underdeveloped” areas of the AMR23 that could be early changes that Dan Fallows and the team could work on to keep up the pace?

KimiRai
KimiRai

Mansell89 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 17:12
Any idea where Alonso would have been in race trim in clean air versus the Red Bulls?

Obviously he got stuck behind Mercedes to start with and eventually Ferrari- before then turning the engine down (as did Max and Checo).

Any idea what the race lap time differential was?

I know he wouldn’t have been a threat for race win but interested to have an idea of the gap.
After passing Sainz he was +26 seconds off Perez. After some laps he got to +24 seconds off, then again in the end finished +26 seconds off. You can check telemetry + Alonso's radio here

Mansell89 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 17:12
Anyone see any “underdeveloped” areas of the

AMR23 that could be early changes that Dan Fallows and the team could work on to keep up the pace?
According to Scarbs, the AMR23's floor edge is very simple.