2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
majki2111

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

I had some free time and watched Alonsos race onboard. After passing Sainz he was on par or even half a second to a second faster than Red Bulls. Bulls were in low to mid 37s, other in high 37s. He was in high 36s. He was in 7/10 tyre management avoiding curbs and managing sliding in turn 12 I think.

Were Red Bulls managing even more? Or does Aston really has potential to be on par with Red Bulls?? :wtf: :wtf: :shock: :shock:

CMC
CMC

majki2111 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 18:27
I had some free time and watched Alonsos race onboard. After passing Sainz he was on par or even half a second to a second faster than Red Bulls. Bulls were in low to mid 37s, other in high 37s. He was in high 36s. He was in 7/10 tyre management avoiding curbs and managing sliding in turn 12 I think.

Were Red Bulls managing even more? Or does Aston really has potential to be on par with Red Bulls?? :wtf: :wtf: :shock: :shock:
Max was being asked to drive to 37s by his race engineer, IIRC. Surely could have gone much faster.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

majki2111 wrote:

Both RB and AMR were heavily managing towards the end. Imo, we didn't see either car's true potential in Bahrain. Unfortunately it all ended when Alonso fell back on the opening lap.

organic

majki2111 wrote:

Didn't see the real pace of either car

mendis
mendis

A nervous and rusty Alonso (naturally so, with a potent car and unwilling to lose it) in a new team where some aspects of the car like the steering and other systems not exactly to his liking and with places lost at the start and then to fight it off, we never really got to see what could have been possible. But still, RB19 is in a different league on race pace. May be on Alonso's good day and Perez's normal day, Alonso could get ahead and stay there. One can hope Ferrari had a bad setup, otherwise, they weren't looking like they are in AM league. I really hope their development is more aggressive than RB and they fix some of those hardware niggles for Alonso and we can then have a decent fight once in a while for the win. A couple of wins this season and a couple of more fights for wins would be a huge achievement for the team this year and can set them up well for next.

Wouter

majki2111 wrote:

Here you can compare all the drivers:

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2023/gp/s9083 ... s/821-239/
The Power of Dreams!

hollus

Alonso himself said that with a clean track he still would have been 25 sec behind Verstappen.
Rivals, not enemies.

zoroastar
zoroastar

i think that given the other ferraris pace with leclerc driving, aston could have been challenging perez. thats probably the reason why marko and checo are shooting off at the mouth so much about copying. redbull know that with the upgrade potential of the aston they could be getting challenged in the second half. already coming up with their excuses.

xReVo
xReVo

I think very differently. Aston Martin from what I've seen is not very far from Redbull and you are forgetting one fundamental thing: the driver. Alonso is a rider who can become extreme based on the situations in which he finds himself. For example last year in Canada he was under drs of sainz to defend the 3rd position of Hamilton and did qualifying laps. He's not yet at his maximum potential, amr23 hasn't yet shown what he still can give and above all barhain is a very different circuit from the others on the calendar. Performance on fast circuits will be seen in Jeddah and we'll see how he fares. If they make a podium there too, the car can fight for the world championship (updates, circuits favorable to both the car and the driver, etc.)

Mansell89
Mansell89

KimiRai wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 18:05
Mansell89 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 17:12
Any idea where Alonso would have been in race trim in clean air versus the Red Bulls?

Obviously he got stuck behind Mercedes to start with and eventually Ferrari- before then turning the engine down (as did Max and Checo).

Any idea what the race lap time differential was?

I know he wouldn’t have been a threat for race win but interested to have an idea of the gap.
After passing Sainz he was +26 seconds off Perez. After some laps he got to +24 seconds off, then again in the end finished +26 seconds off. You can check telemetry + Alonso's radio here

Mansell89 wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 17:12
Anyone see any “underdeveloped” areas of the

AMR23 that could be early changes that Dan Fallows and the team could work on to keep up the pace?
According to Scarbs, the AMR23's floor edge is very simple.

Thanks very much KimiRai- much appreciated :)

Knew I’d seen something about a basic floor edge somewhere- in a way- really good news IF Dan Flows and team can use that to develop on what appears a very strong foundation.

falonso81

Is it just me that sees the 2022 early Williams sidepod merged with a Ferrari type outer wall?

snajam
snajam

Wouter wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 12:15
snajam wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 11:40
Wouter wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 10:23

Is that so?
Isn't it? That last paragraph is exactly what I mean, an unnecessary and false dig, how is the Amr23 last year's RB? How is it copying? They're just subtle ways of taking credit for others work. I've usually sided with RB when it makes sense but unfortunately it seems the non technical brass (including checo) have gone blind.
You wont hear these statements from Newey, as they are factually untrue. Never did we hear Alpine accusing amr when the most unique visible feature on the car comes from them.
Dream On! Dan Fallows has worked with Newey for 15 years and knows his way of working inside out.
It's only natural that he remembers his good designs and uses some of it.
Dan has always been highly appreciative of Newey and has learned a lot from him, doesn't mean that he can't come up with his own ideas or every good idea on the grid somehow comes from newey and the rest are only copiers.

Anyway the argument was and it still holds that the car is not an RB18 copy, visually and from what can be seen of the floor. So the statements from the RB camp are untrue, unless you can provide concrete contrary evidence via pictures instead of 'dream on'.

snajam
snajam

Amus reports major upgrade for Imola, smaller ones before, I hope they come up with a lower drag spec RW and Beam Wing combo for Jeddah

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

snajam wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 11:25
Wouter wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 12:15
snajam wrote:
11 Mar 2023, 11:40

Isn't it? That last paragraph is exactly what I mean, an unnecessary and false dig, how is the Amr23 last year's RB? How is it copying? They're just subtle ways of taking credit for others work. I've usually sided with RB when it makes sense but unfortunately it seems the non technical brass (including checo) have gone blind.
You wont hear these statements from Newey, as they are factually untrue. Never did we hear Alpine accusing amr when the most unique visible feature on the car comes from them.
Dream On! Dan Fallows has worked with Newey for 15 years and knows his way of working inside out.
It's only natural that he remembers his good designs and uses some of it.
Dan has always been highly appreciative of Newey and has learned a lot from him, doesn't mean that he can't come up with his own ideas or every good idea on the grid somehow comes from newey and the rest are only copiers.

Anyway the argument was and it still holds that the car is not an RB18 copy, visually and from what can be seen of the floor. So the statements from the RB camp are untrue, unless you can provide concrete contrary evidence via pictures instead of 'dream on'.
Haven’t seen comparative tunnel shots to make that determination 100% but yes indeed above floor, they’ve definitely done their own thing with bodywork

snajam
snajam

101FlyingDutchman wrote:

Haven’t seen comparative tunnel shots to make that determination 100% but yes indeed above floor, they’ve definitely done their own thing with bodywork
About the tunnels we can't say, but the fence arrangement is different (a bit vanilla on the amr atm imo). They've got rid of the 2 prong outboard turning vane. Diffuser exit is different. Floor edge seems like an evolution of last year (rb18ish) but rather simple compared to the grid.