Haas VF-23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Haas VF-23

Vanja #66 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 17:00
Ah, if only...

https://i.ibb.co/dQCQRP0/Fos-Jyq-XWAAE-M0-U.jpg

Damn, that looks so much better
Reminds me of f2 :mrgreen:

lio007

Goblin42 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 16:02
Do I see pitot tubes on the Palm Angels Logo?
I thought aero measuring is strictly forbidden during shakedowns?

Goblin42

She's carrying an Aerorake sensor package behind the front suspension and some kiel probes above the tunnel entrance and on the rear wing

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 17:16
Reminds me of f2 :mrgreen:
It's close to pre-2017 lengths, but without the ridiculous high RW...

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

continuum16

Surprised they got rid of the wavy front wing end plates while Sauber have gone the opposite direction.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

Goblin42

Blackout

Maybe Haas moved that cooler away -blue arrow- (to put it inside sidpods like Ferrari tends to do?) then shrinkwrapped the bodywork further. That could explain the even tighter engine cover + the even smaller roll hoop intake + the big bulge at the rear
2022- Sky - AMuS

f1316
f1316

Is it fair to speculate from that gearbox hump that Ferrari have looked to move up the positioning of the gearbox (although seemingly without switching to push rod at the back, perhaps with higher pick up points)?

Seems like this must be about creating more space underneath it - presumably two fold: (i) the expansion of the underfloor in this area (ii) space for the over floor airflow coming of the coke bottle?

I may be talking rubbish, so folks with actual aerodynamic knowledge please let me know :D :lol:

wogx

Last edited by wogx on 11 Feb 2023, 23:21, edited 1 time in total.
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

organic

f1316 wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 20:06
Is it fair to speculate from that gearbox hump that Ferrari have looked to move up the positioning of the gearbox (although seemingly without switching to push rod at the back, perhaps with higher pick up points)?

Seems like this must be about creating more space underneath it - presumably two fold: (i) the expansion of the underfloor in this area (ii) space for the over floor airflow coming of the coke bottle?

I may be talking rubbish, so folks with actual aerodynamic knowledge please let me know :D :lol:
If you compare the vf-22 to the vf-23 the difference is more that the engine cover and airbox is massively slimmed down revealing the hump, rather than the hump appearing from already slim bodywork.

In other words we cannot conclude anything about the location of gearbox from existence of hump

It's likely the hump is there due to ferrari's wastegate placement and now visible from shrinkwrapping the bodywork after ditching centre-line cooling rather than anything else

organic

wogx wrote:
11 Feb 2023, 16:38
What is the gain in leaking air from one side to the other over the bulge/under sharkfin? I assume that works only while the car is cornering. A more extreme concept might be better in any case?

https://wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/cb59e1449 ... 0d58fb.png
This image is inexplicably edited to appear as though the car has a more slotted sharkfin than it does.

As for the gain of this arrangement: I was under the impression that it was a good place to put extra cooling outlets. And then they put the sharkfin above the cooling outlets just because that is possible within the regs. If you zoom in on a vf-23 image you can see the engine cover underneath the sharkfin is slotted with cooling louvres again just as last year

So I believe the logic is more: given I'm going to be placing cooling louvres here, is there benefit to placing a sharkfin on stilts above it, and Haas saw there was for their design

RB also adopted this idea with a slot in line with their sharkfin at mexico and Singapore for cooling when they particularly needed it

Holm86

wogx

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Jordaann10
Jordaann10

https://twitter.com/f1dataanalysis/stat ... lexISw4FFA

Would anyone have an idea why the carbon fibre weave selected for the last two sidepod cooling louvers is different to the rest?

JordanMugen

The VF-23 reminds me of the days when we would eagerly await the new Compaq or HP BMW Williams, only to find it doesn't look much different to the old Winfield, Compaq or HP Williams (so 2000, 2001, 2002).

Is it fair to say, however, that the VF-23 is bigger step from the VF-22 than meets the eye, rather than just detail and refinement work from the previous VF-22 and Ferrari F1-75? :?: