Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari SF23

Sevach wrote:
08 May 2023, 16:57
Only later it occurs to everybody, oh yeah the tunnel entry... maybe i should look at that.
It was actually declared as an upgrade on the FIA upgrade form, so it was surprising to see only we noticed here on the forum 8)

zioture wrote:
08 May 2023, 18:35
I have many doubts that the venturi channel has been changed
Here is a comparison in the same perspective, Sainz in Miami Saturday. The channel is the same

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvnqCDvXwAI ... =4096x4096
It's new and it was raced on Sunday on both cars, it can be seen here on Leclerc's car (the best photo I found for clear view)

vorticism wrote:
08 May 2023, 18:46
Elephant in the room... Why don't Ferrari run an edge wing? Are they still using an ice skate? Despite the floor edge being raised. The floor raising is probably why RB ditched the ice skate for this season.
Ice skates are banned now.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

vorticism

Vanja #66 wrote:
08 May 2023, 19:18

Not sure about that. Other teams are still running the edge wing device under the floor. Alfa Romeo being one, iirc. The SF23 has that same barrel shaped floor edge that the RB18 had which accommodated the ice skate.

Edit- Yes, the C43 still has something under the floor:

organic wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 17:13
Forwards floor edge detail straight from the developed RB18. Ferrari cutout with the edge wing helping to extract air

𓄀

SiLo

vorticism wrote:
08 May 2023, 19:36
Vanja #66 wrote:
08 May 2023, 19:18

Not sure about that. Other teams are still running the edge wing device under the floor. Alfa Romeo being one, iirc. The SF23 has that same barrel shaped floor edge that the RB18 had which accommodated the ice skate.

Edit- Yes, the C43 still has something under the floor:

organic wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 17:13
Forwards floor edge detail straight from the developed RB18. Ferrari cutout with the edge wing helping to extract air

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqOTIshX0AA ... &name=orig
That's not the skate though?
Felipe Baby!

vorticism

SiLo wrote:
08 May 2023, 23:24

It falls under the same rule. In fact that type seen on the C43 was the original device used by Ferrari in 2022 iirc.
𓄀

organic

vorticism wrote:
08 May 2023, 23:25
SiLo wrote:

It falls under the same rule. In fact that type seen on the C43 was the original device used by Ferrari in 2022 iirc.
The ice skate and the device that alfa use were both floor edge wings, of course. I believe the way the ice skate was legalized was that the regulatory volume for the floor edge wing extended significantly below the minimum height of the floor edge, and the rules allow for up to 6 brackets to be used to attach the ice skate to the floor body.

The Alfa floor edge wing is still legal but its continued presence doesn't preclude the possibility that the ice skate has been outlawed, perhaps by the floor edge wing regulatory volume having been adjusted. I have looked through the technical regs but the rules seem particularly complicated in this area, so I'm not able to figure out if there's been a change that would render ice skates illegal, but I was under the impression that they were not going to reappear this season

Sevach
Sevach

Good look at the tunnel.
Photo from saturday.

jambuka
jambuka

It’s the suspension. Pre td 39 they had the flexi plank because of which they could perform. Post TD39 we have got revisions of floor, front wings, rear wings, sidepods but nothing has regained the performance back. They need to make changes to suspension to gain performance back. Now people argue that Haas is also using the same suspension. Was haas so performant pre td39? Maybe their performance isn’t dependent on how softer or stiffer can they run the suspension. Pre TD F1-75 was super fast with awesome mechanical grip. They have never recovered to that level post TD in spite of changing all these parts and also building a new car this year.

SiLo

jambuka wrote:
09 May 2023, 02:46
It’s the suspension. Pre td 39 they had the flexi plank because of which they could perform. Post TD39 we have got revisions of floor, front wings, rear wings, sidepods but nothing has regained the performance back. They need to make changes to suspension to gain performance back. Now people argue that Haas is also using the same suspension. Was haas so performant pre td39? Maybe their performance isn’t dependent on how softer or stiffer can they run the suspension. Pre TD F1-75 was super fast with awesome mechanical grip. They have never recovered to that level post TD in spite of changing all these parts and also building a new car this year.
TD039 was the porpoising directive, not the flexi floor one. Many people confuse the two. TD039 meant Ferarri had to run the car higher to stop so much porpoising, so they lost a lot of performance that way.
Felipe Baby!

FW17

SiLo wrote:
09 May 2023, 10:36
jambuka wrote:
TD039 was the porpoising directive, not the flexi floor one. Many people confuse the two. TD039 meant Ferarri had to run the car higher to stop so much porpoising, so they lost a lot of performance that way.

TD39 also had revised floor plank test points which stopped Ferrari and others from exploiting.

SiLo

FW17 wrote:
09 May 2023, 10:39
SiLo wrote:
09 May 2023, 10:36
jambuka wrote:

TD39 also had revised floor plank test points which stopped Ferrari and others from exploiting.
Were both revisions part of the same TD? Now I understand why lots of people are confused about the TDs.
Felipe Baby!

Vanja #66

Is comparison work on Saturday banned now? Also Sainz and Leclerc on Saturday with new inlet:

Also Sunday:

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

PlatinumZealot

There is something deeply worrying with the Ferrari upgrade.

They raised the roof of the leading edge of the floor when Mclaren lowered it!!

Confusing and conflicting results, aka a divergence means that Ferrari and McLaren are barking up the wrong tree if they want to be as fast as RedBull. There is something else to it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

vorticism

organic wrote:
09 May 2023, 00:02
vorticism wrote:
08 May 2023, 23:25
SiLo wrote:

The ice skate and the device that alfa use were both floor edge wings, of course. I believe the way the ice skate was legalized was that the regulatory volume for the floor edge wing extended significantly below the minimum height of the floor edge, and the rules allow for up to 6 brackets to be used to attach the ice skate to the floor body.

The Alfa floor edge wing is still legal but its continued presence doesn't preclude the possibility that the ice skate has been outlawed, perhaps by the floor edge wing regulatory volume having been adjusted. I have looked through the technical regs but the rules seem particularly complicated in this area, so I'm not able to figure out if there's been a change that would render ice skates illegal, but I was under the impression that they were not going to reappear this season
The 2023 regs have no revisions to the floor edge wing section. This is in part because the FIA now relies on reference volumes instead of wrote dimensions. We would need access to the 2023 RVs although it would be a bit redundant for us. We know the floor height was raised 15mm i.e. the floor reference volume's lower face was raised 15mm i.e. the equivalent of the step plane in this formula was raised 15mm. I'm rather sure that the edge wing volume was never lower than the floor volume in 2022--it was simply the outer portion of it. The ice skate was the lowest part of the RB18 floor in that area and sat inside a raised section which accommodated it i.e. RB's floor was slightly higher overall than it could otherwise have been sans skate.

It was yours truly that made the correlation to the regs last year and coined it the ice skate 8) (not that someone wouldn't have eventually seen the resemblence).

vorticism wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 02:50
AR3-GP wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 22:58
vorticism wrote:
09 Apr 2022, 22:30
That 'edge wing' striking the ground:

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/upl ... b_news.jpg
Basically the edge wing strikes the ground in body roll. It's metal. It's a ride height limiter imo.

For comparison, the Ferrari starts porpoising heavily with the body roll in the T8-T9 straight.They do not have such a ride height limiter under the floor.
I'd call it a roll limiter or deflection limiter. The floor parts including these ice skates don't go any lower than the topside of the plank. In straight running the plank and central skid blocks will strike the pavement first. Two options from there:

1. If DF deflects the floor edges, then the skates would stop this deflection. 2. It's limiting the roll angle of the car.

https://i.etsystatic.com/8230059/r/il/b ... 8_egx3.jpg

Owen.C93 wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 11:28
https://i.imgur.com/wWc9BRm.png

I expect this to be a feature other cars to develop. In fact, if it's a car without a McLaren style edge wing, they might have their own version of the ice skate down there already.

vorticism wrote:
08 Apr 2022, 17:07
haha think i figured it out. This is their interpretation of the floor wing allowance. "Six support structures," and notice how many slats it has...
Bodywork declared as “Floor Edge Wing” must:
a. LiewithinRV-FLOOR-EDGE.
b. Beasinglevolumewithnoapertures.
c. Its complete surface, when intersected with any X-plane must produce only a single section that is continuous and closed, having cross-sectional area no greater than 2000mm2. This section must be between 5mm and 20mm distant from the curve produced by intersection of the Floor Body with the same X-plane, at its closest point.
d. Itscompletesurface,whenintersectedwithanyZ-planemustproduceonlyasingle section that is continuous and closed.
e. Itscompletesurfacemustbetangentcontinuousandanyconcaveradiusofcurvature must be greater than 25mm.
For the sole purpose of providing a structural connection between the Floor Edge Wing and the Floor Body, it is permitted to add up to six support brackets per side of the car. These brackets, which need not comply with parts (a) to (e), will nevertheless be considered part of the Floor Edge Wing and must:
f. Be in their entirety within 40mm of the Floor Body and 30mm of the Floor Edge Wing.
g. Benomorethan5mmthick.Afilletradiusnogreaterthan2mmwillbepermitted where these brackets join to the components they connect.
h. Benolargerthan40mmintheX-directionandhavenodimensionthatexceeds 60mm.
i. Not be closer than 50mm at any point to any other such support bracket.
j. Not be visible from below.
Whereas McLaren and others made a horizontal wing with six swans necks, RB made a vertical wing with six slots at its base. Brilliant.
𓄀

Sevach
Sevach

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2023, 00:22
There is something deeply worrying with the Ferrari upgrade.

They raised the roof of the leading edge of the floor when Mclaren lowered it!!

Confusing and conflicting results, aka a divergence means that Ferrari and McLaren are barking up the wrong tree if they want to be as fast as RedBull. There is something else to it.
On the topic of "getting to RB" this tunnel inlet is more similar to the RB style than the previous one, Red Bull has a almost linear floor front vs most teams with tall centerlines and low sides.

If you compare to what Ferrari had mid-season last year, the most aggressive example of tall center with a "squarish" drop to lower sides, this is a huge change in philosophy.