Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10
LM10

Re: Ferrari SF23

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2023, 22:27

I think it will be easier to sort out the suspension with 2024 car than to change the whole aero approach. Oversimplified as it may sound, in my view Ferrari aero coupled with RB suspension would be an unbelievable car.
Your last sentence made me drool. :lol:

Let’s hope they manage to couple their aero with RB-like suspension next year.

Looking at other mistakes they keep doing like yesterday’s grid penalty for Charles because his race engineer was dreaming - they’ll need an “unbelievable” car to compensate for that anyway…

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2023, 18:41
Wonderful to see the floor. Ferrari shaped their diffuser keel for massive pressure recovery and drag reduction, not really for downforce. They could add a few DF points there easily. Also, and this is clear, they are pushing with their original floor shaping as last year (no surprises there), no specific diffuser kicks like RB/AMR and a clean profile to maximise overall floor downforce.

As a result, I don't think they are benefitting with added air volume through the mouse hole as much as RB/AMR, so switching to downwash sidepods would not help them at all. They need to sort the suspension and tyre usage during the race, otherwise they will never use the full potential of the car in any race.
So, if they do add the few DF points of DF, will they lose the drag reduction benefit and be back where they were last year—with a deficit to RB on max. velocity? And, I note in the RB19 thread, wondering if RB are using what looks like the aft-most, second kick/venturi to maybe choke the flow to the diffuser when at low rear ride height to get their high Vmax?

Also, maybe the Ferrari design is just too reliant on maintaining the flatness of the platform that the restrictively regulated suspension cannot cope with—especially as regards pitch sensitivity, per my comment below…
Vanja #66 wrote:
26 May 2023, 19:19
Farnborough wrote:
26 May 2023, 18:50
Also that lowest area being so flat looks to make it very sensitive to height above ground, with much variance in that ride height it looks to be very peaky without much in the way of mitigation at all.
More of an "on~off" light switch type of interaction. Either it's making load or not much to speak of.
Both diffuser and wing in ground effect have the same nature, both are very sensitive to ride height and peak performance. Both are either working great or not good at all (for F1 performance level). Likewise, both Ferrari and RB/AMR concepts work well only when the car is at optimal ride height. The difference is that RB is keeping the car low at the lowest speeds, next one is AMR judging by its performance and Ferrari is at best third in this regard.

https://d3i71xaburhd42.cloudfront.net/d ... ure3-1.png

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jo ... l-with.png
Though these charts talk to performance as a function of ground clearance, they don’t show variations in DF—or CoP shift—as a function of pitch attitude, which I believe would show the flat bottom as more sensitive than a “shaped” floor.

christian.falavena

New mirror

Venturiation
Venturiation

We might see the new sidepods today if they put them outside

gordonthegun

This change is insignificant from an aerodynamic point of view.
I think it's for weight reduction.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

It's a very small change to the mirror at best.

christian.falavena

AR3-GP wrote:Image

Is the mirror new? It looks quite similar to Monaco.
Look at the upper profile

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

christian.falavena wrote:
31 May 2023, 20:38
AR3-GP wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxETpT7WwAA ... =4096x4096

Is the mirror new? It looks quite similar to Monaco.
Look at the upper profile
I see now, the span has been shortened on the upper winglet. I updated post. It's a very minor change.

gordonthegun

Was that point with an open lid under the sidepod inlet already there?

Vanja #66

An unexpected return of 2022 launch spec wing, mid/high downforce. We'll see if they stick with it or choose another spec tomorrow.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

christian.falavena

gordonthegun wrote:Was that point with an open lid under the sidepod inlet already there?

Air refill slot. Always there

Z-one
Z-one

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 09:58
An unexpected return of 2022 launch spec wing, mid/high downforce. We'll see if they stick with it or choose another spec tomorrow.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FxhRrWRWIAI ... name=large
2022 Bahrain Spec
Last edited by Z-one on 01 Jun 2023, 10:55, edited 1 time in total.
The mankind’s courage and resolution will be witnessed and remembered by stars.

gordonthegun

In this photo by Giorgio Piola the car has the old mirror.
It seems from the strip on the suspension hub cover (white LEC, yellow SAI) that Carlos has the new mirror and Charles the old one:

ing.

Vanja #66 wrote:

The sidepod cooling package seems to be similar. Most likely no major change or waterslide design, although without comparing looks like maybe just a deeper undercut at the max. cross section of the car(?).

Expected visible change to sidepods (as predicted in Italian press) could be what, then? Possibly a more neutral or downwashing trailing edge to the sidepods. Probably not a cannon-type cooling exit.

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:

Last year they ran full Monaco spec, this season wether because the track changed or something else they are going with less drag but not all the way to the current mid wing (as of yet).

Ps:Looking at Fabrega's photos, RBR, Mercedes and Aston are in full Monaco config.