Alpine A523

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Alpine A523

The shoulder of the engine cover is more downwashing than before, which isn't unexpected given this is what all of the other teams are moving towards also

Enstone
Enstone

xReVo wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 22:51
probably the front and the rear wing will be different in testing, like other teams.
Yes ofc !

It was just a shakedown, they will probably bring more parts during the testing sessions !

Blackout

Rear wings change almost at every GP.

But 2022 front wings are a different case...

I'm surprised Alpine opted for this style of front wings, with a raised centre. AM & AT used it in '22, & they didnt do well & they dropped it in '23.

It seems Alpine turned the pink flaps up a bit more, but this FW still looks small... So it should be good at letting more air flow towards the rear of the car. But the 2023 front tires are said to be stronger, so one should add more front DF to maximise the tire potential, but it seems Alpine also flattened (& widened?) the nose. Are they aiming to produce more front DF with the nose top surface and less with the wing?

(*obviously they know what they are doing.😅 I'm just trying to understand the logics behind these moves)

ringo

Pushrod rear.
For Sure!!

dren

Blackout wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 13:39
Are they aiming to produce more front DF with the nose top surface and less with the wing?

(*obviously they know what they are doing.😅 I'm just trying to understand the logics behind these moves)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpARrW7XgAM ... name=small
Looks like they curled the lower main flap up a little at the start so probably some sort of mini-diffuser effect under the nose.
Honda!

Blackout

Which part?

*It seems Mercedes too raised the middle section of their main plane.
It's more visible on the track and if you use similar angles

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Blackout wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 13:39
Rear wings change almost at every GP.

But 2022 front wings are a different case...

I'm surprised Alpine opted for this style of front wings, with a raised centre. AM & AT used it in '22, & they didnt do well & they dropped it in '23.

It seems Alpine turned the pink flaps up a bit more, but this FW still looks small... So it should be good at letting more air flow towards the rear of the car. But the 2023 front tires are said to be stronger, so one should add more front DF to maximise the tire potential, but it seems Alpine also flattened (& widened?) the nose. Are they aiming to produce more front DF with the nose top surface and less with the wing?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpARrW7XgAM ... name=small
The raised center section could just be about feeding more air to the venturi inlets.

After all, the front wing is an obstruction to the venturi inlets, but must persist for aero balance reasons.

organic

Blackout wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 17:57
Which part?

*It seems Mercedes too raised the middle section of their main plane.
It's more visible on the track and if you use similar angles
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FpBO9csXwAE ... name=large
Call me basic but if merc and RB have done it then I'm less concerned about alpine having done the same, even if their wing is worryingly small already :D

Blackout

Then Alpine, Mercedes & Red Bull FTW.
In that order.

The increase of the 'cannon tube' size/fatness may be the sign that the 'water slide'/trench got deeper and is almost separating the sidepod in two parts.
So maybe hot air will follow path '2' more in 2023 and exit more directly through cannon.

Or not.

The AM has an extreme water slide, and a fat transition for the air to transit from sidepod to cannon exit.
The A523 seems to be skinnier there. But how is its water slide?
We'll see, in Abu Dhabi 2023

organic

Those cannon exits got me flustered :P

Is it just me or are the mirror support winglets inwashing rather than outwashing? Or trick of the angle/light?

Also interesting to see Alpine still rocking a massive stay unlike some teams

Blackout

The long mirror support? it looks neutral to me

organic

Blackout wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 16:09
The long mirror support? it looks neutral to me
I mean the little ones

mantaque
mantaque

Interesting thing is that they got rid of shark fin on the back of the airbox (apart from those little teeth), while as far as I'm concerned, all other teams have it. Just weight saving? Or this fin does something significant as cornering aero?

Venturiation
Venturiation

Push road rear suspension confirmed
The car is confirmed to be underweight and will use ballast

Pandamasque

Venturiation wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 22:41
Push road rear suspension confirmed
The car is confirmed to be underweight and will use ballast
It's funny that he said this while pointing at a pull-rod of the 2022 car on stage.

It's like the 2022 Red Bull launch with the FIA show car (in pink) + 2023 Red Bull launch with a last year's car (blue) combined into one.
Last edited by Pandamasque on 16 Feb 2023, 22:47, edited 2 times in total.