Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Red Bull RB19

Pretty sure that Max's wing was trimmed deeper (based on how close to the edge the ORACLE logo is) but then there was more left behind the actuator..

we can see the white lettering of the ORACLE logo on Max's wing goes to the edge whereas on Perez's car it doesn't in the pic below

Juzh

Good spot. Verstappen's wing is indeed cut deeper. Actually both steps are deeper than perez' straight cut. Second cut on verstappen's car is visibly lower. Must be the reason for that strange looking DRS support in the middle.

Didn't seem to help verstappen much in passing sainz.. Perez had pretty much same top speeds everywhere. Must be DRS effect was equal on both cars.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Juzh wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2023, 15:45
Good spot. Verstappen's wing is indeed cut deeper. Actually both steps are deeper than perez' straight cut. Second cut on verstappen's car is visibly lower. Must be the reason for that strange looking DRS support in the middle.

Didn't seem to help verstappen much in passing sainz.. Perez had pretty much same top speeds everywhere. Must be DRS effect was equal on both cars.
It's usually assumed that Verstappen has more front flap angle which is draggier. We've seen a season long trend usually when they both have the same rear wing, that Perez is typically about 2km/h quicker on the longer straights.

vorticism

There's nothing in the regs to stop rake from increasing in coming seasons. I wonder if that could be a scope of development once floors are fully sorted.
Last edited by vorticism on 11 Sep 2023, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
π“„€

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote: ↑
06 Sep 2023, 15:39
Pretty sure that Max's wing was trimmed deeper (based on how close to the edge the ORACLE logo is) but then there was more left behind the actuator..

we can see the white lettering of the ORACLE logo on Max's wing goes to the edge whereas on Perez's car it doesn't in the pic below

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/R ... 033432.jpg
Could that be just a difference of rear load to help give Perez some confidence in the car? A little more rear end for Perez compared to Max. Max then also running a touch more front wing to give the front end that maximises the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

organic

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
11 Sep 2023, 16:31
06 Sep 2023, 15:39

https://imgr1.auto-motor-und-sport.de/R ... 033432.jpg
Could that be just a difference of rear load to help give Perez some confidence in the car? A little more rear end for Perez compared to Max. Max then also running a touch more front wing to give the front end that maximises the car.
Yeah I think in this case that's very likely it's mostly down to driver feel

organic

New rear-wing endplate corner, in the style of many other high downforce RWs on the grid (AMR, Merc, Alpha Tauri, Alpine, McLaren)

The design keeps reappearing but only in the high downforce configurations at monaco, singapore etc. Clearly results in greater max downforce config

Gurney flap also fitted!

Albert Fabrega πŸ“Έ

:P
25 Aug 2023, 07:03
Expect next update in singapore then. Cheers Marko.

Considering the general trend with high df wings up and down the field I'm going to assume that these new endplate styles are the way forward, at least for low efficiency tracks. Singapore's one of those and I feel this sort of endplate trick could be easily/cheaply be copied by RB for their next upgrades. Wouldn't expect much from the Singapore upgrade apart from that
28 Aug 2023, 04:23

Marko mentioned rb's only upgrade would come at Singapore. I suspect it will be rear wing endplates and a floor edge tweak
Last edited by organic on 14 Sep 2023, 15:26, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

14 Sep 2023, 10:21
New rear-wing endplate corner, in the style of many other high downforce RWs on the grid (AMR, Merc, Alpha Tauri, Alpine, McLaren)

The design keeps reappearing but only in the high downforce configurations at monaco, singapore etc. Clearly results in greater max downforce config

Gurney flap also fitted!

Albert Fabrega πŸ“Έ

https://i.imgur.com/hvUaxJZ.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5-P6IkbIAA ... me=240x240

Considering the general trend with high df wings up and down the field I'm going to assume that these new endplate styles are the way forward, at least for low efficiency tracks. Singapore's one of those and I feel this sort of endplate trick could be easily/cheaply be copied by RB for their next upgrades. Wouldn't expect much from the Singapore upgrade apart from that

Marko mentioned rb's only upgrade would come at Singapore. I suspect it will be rear wing endplates and a floor edge tweak
Has the boss that holds the flap pivot always been oriented sideways like that?

organic

AR3-GP wrote: ↑
14 Sep 2023, 14:34
14 Sep 2023, 10:21

Gurney flap also fitted!

Albert Fabrega πŸ“Έ

https://i.imgur.com/hvUaxJZ.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F5-P6IkbIAA ... me=240x240

Has the boss that holds the flap pivot always been oriented sideways like that?
OK bear with i investigated:

sideways

Bahrain 2023:

Baku

Monaco

Barcelona

Canada,Austria - sideways as before

Silverstone

Hungary - it changes

So for Hungary it changes to a diagonal orientation for the DRS flap pivots but only for the high DF wing. The low DF wing at Monza still had horizontal pivots. [1] [2]

At Zandvoort and now for Singapore they have the diagonal pivots

Zandvoort

Singapore

It's just about reducing induced drag I think

organic

2 for 2 :shock:

mclaren111

vorticism

15 Sep 2023, 09:58
2 for 2 :shock:
Well done. 8)
π“„€

organic

RB19 for Suzuka again with the new floor edge wing which was run in Fp1/Fp2 at Singapore.

mclaren111

Big opening to diffuser...

ThijsMuis
ThijsMuis