If F1 Forums existed in 1996…

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mansell89
Mansell89

If F1 Forums existed in 1996…

https://groups.google.com/g/rec.autos.s ... Y1nhlhH6xE

Been doing a bit of reading of my earlier F1 memories today and whilst reviewing Damon Hills time in F1, came across what looks like the infancy of internet forums with some very interesting conversation in 1996 after he became World Champion.

I suppose we like to think the internet has made things worse or that yesteryear had fans with more respect - well here is a little time capsule for you to have a little look and reminisce of F1 life, fandom, and discussions in the mid 1990s before forums like this had quite taken off.

Hope this is okay for a topic in General Chat- feel free to move to appropriate area if needs be :)

Very rare find I thought so sharing for those interested in taking a trip down memory lane.

Cheers folks

CMC
CMC

Re: If F1 Forums existed in 1996…

Personally, I don't think people have really changed all that much, generally. There are just a lot more platforms now for opinions to be shared and arguments to be had, and those platforms are easily accessible to far more people than 20+ years ago. So we are all able to see the good and bad from much broader swaths of people.

Big Tea

Mansell89 wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 00:32
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.autos.s ... Y1nhlhH6xE

Been doing a bit of reading of my earlier F1 memories today and whilst reviewing Damon Hills time in F1, came across what looks like the infancy of internet forums with some very interesting conversation in 1996 after he became World Champion.

I suppose we like to think the internet has made things worse or that yesteryear had fans with more respect - well here is a little time capsule for you to have a little look and reminisce of F1 life, fandom, and discussions in the mid 1990s before forums like this had quite taken off.

Hope this is okay for a topic in General Chat- feel free to move to appropriate area if needs be :)

Very rare find I thought so sharing for those interested in taking a trip down memory lane.

Cheers folks

They did, but were called 'notice boards' then
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

jjn9128

A point made by many persons before :lol:

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Stu

jjn9128 wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 14:06
A point made by many persons before :lol:

Absolutely! That particular rivalry made Max & Lewis look like amateurs!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

cplchanb
cplchanb

Senna would've been crucified by social media for his move in Suzuka 1990

SiLo

cplchanb wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 21:25
Senna would've been crucified by social media for his move in Suzuka 1990
Senna would have fans the same way Max and Lewis do.
Felipe Baby!

Sevach
Sevach

96?
Empty title, even Frank Williams knows he's a fake champ which is why he's getting booted, found himself in a Williams lead role by chance, struggled to beat a rookie in a car you have been driving and developing since forever.
And if Ferrari can become 25% less shitty Schumacher would destroy Hill again.

I believe this would be the general sentiment.

Stu

And there you go…

Question answered!!
Probably best to lock this now before someone comes along and diverts it into ‘who has the most empty titles’ without qualification by data…
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.