2023 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 26 - 28

dialtone wrote:
22 May 2023, 20:25
AR3-GP wrote:
22 May 2023, 19:33
organic wrote:
22 May 2023, 18:31

If everything was perfectly fair, it would be worse for the show. Controversy/unexpected results drive more interest/discussion and promotion of the sport than anything else with the way social media is now, IMO.
I don't think that's true. The first half of 2021 and the first half of 2022 where we just had pure racing between Ham/Ver and Ver/Leclerc in cars that were close enough, didn't require any gimmicks, or lack of fairness to make the show great.
Call me weird but I don't think it would be fair at all to allow people to have another lap or penalize whoever crashed (intent aside) during qualifying but not during the race.
I was only talking about qualifying. Baby steps. There's something more fundamentally disruptive about crashes in qualifying, especially in a place like Monaco, so I think that's the more urgent matter. You will never prove anyone's intent so you need to remove the motivation from the get go.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Big Tea wrote:
22 May 2023, 02:03
mendis wrote:
22 May 2023, 01:21
Why do we have this roadshow on a racing calendar is beyond me. :lol:
Its not for the fans, its for the sponsors
I like Monaco, some years it's deeply boring and other years it can be fairly exciting. Plus there's always the moment where a lapse in concentration sees a driver whose on a fast lap or doing well in the race sees them slam into the barrier.

Juzh

SirBastianVettel wrote:
22 May 2023, 20:41
How about we add 5 minutes to the qualifying session every time there is a red flag?
This could work. Yes, some quali sessions would be quite long, but they're already long whenever there is a red flag, so I'm for this. We've had way too many intentional crashes or "i'm on pole therefore I dont care if I crash or cause a yellow" incidents to just continue ignoring the issue. Something should also be invented for yellows as they're essentially the same thing. Maybe implement this system only on a few tracks where it's a big problem and more likely to happen (so most of street tracks).

I think RB will walk it here as well. They're yet to run their high DF wing and they were already ahead in slow corners in miami when others decided to run somewhat similar wing.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

I think that takes away a really interesting tactical choice. The track is fastest at the end of practice but if you wait you take a risk of a red or a yellow. Also it rewards drivers who get in a good banker lap. I’d rather the drama of that then drivers being safe in the knowledge that they’ll get another go if it goes wrong

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

bonjon1979 wrote:
22 May 2023, 22:32
I think that takes away a really interesting tactical choice. The track is fastest at the end of practice but if you wait you take a risk of a red or a yellow. Also it rewards drivers who get in a good banker lap. I’d rather the drama of that then drivers being safe in the knowledge that they’ll get another go if it goes wrong
Why don't we draw qualy order out of a hat then? That would be even more dramatic.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

taperoo2k wrote:
22 May 2023, 21:01
Big Tea wrote:
22 May 2023, 02:03
mendis wrote:
22 May 2023, 01:21
Why do we have this roadshow on a racing calendar is beyond me. :lol:
Its not for the fans, its for the sponsors
I like Monaco, some years it's deeply boring and other years it can be fairly exciting. Plus there's always the moment where a lapse in concentration sees a driver whose on a fast lap or doing well in the race sees them slam into the barrier.
Monaco is like a microcosm of F1 itself. Qualifying is the best bit and usually brings the big "will he, won't he?" closing stages. The races are usually dull with the occasional classic thrown up by circumstances. Much like F1 as a whole, really.

But in principle, any circuit where a car that is massively compromised on power or tyres (e.g. Ricciardo in 2018, Hamilton in 2019) can hold off what are in all real terms massively faster cars, is a race track that isn't fit for purpose.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

chrisc90

I thought the race last year was pretty good with the RB/Ferrari strategy. The Alonso? DRS train running ~2seconds a lap slower was pretty funny watching nobody able to overtake and get angry and not being able to.

Whilst not being the most exciting race for on track action, the strategy side of it with under/over cuts is great to watch.

dialtone
dialtone

This is easily the worst race of the year. They should just do quali laps and move on, this track is not meant for these cars and really shouldn't exist in modern f1.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
23 May 2023, 01:45
This is easily the worst race of the year. They should just do quali laps and move on, this track is not meant for these cars and really shouldn't exist in modern f1.
Leclerc’s best chance for a win so you’ll be fine I suspect ;)

mendis
mendis

chrisc90 wrote:
23 May 2023, 00:27
I thought the race last year was pretty good with the RB/Ferrari strategy. The Alonso? DRS train running ~2seconds a lap slower was pretty funny watching nobody able to overtake and get angry and not being able to.

Whilst not being the most exciting race for on track action, the strategy side of it with under/over cuts is great to watch.
Over the years, it has become more or less given that overcut is the way to go as the track doesn't help in heating up the tyres on an outlap. It's dead certain strategy if the track is wet. Add the factor that lead car dictates the pace and the tyres never go away due to pace management, it's easy to throw the car around for an inlap with the fastest time of the stint where as the driver behind who pitted would be on a slower outlap.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Alonso going to win his 33rd race here.

PlatinumZealot

He won't. He's not lucky enough.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mendis wrote:
23 May 2023, 07:58
chrisc90 wrote:

Over the years, it has become more or less given that overcut is the way to go as the track doesn't help in heating up the tyres on an outlap. It's dead certain strategy if the track is wet. Add the factor that lead car dictates the pace and the tyres never go away due to pace management, it's easy to throw the car around for an inlap with the fastest time of the stint where as the driver behind who pitted would be on a slower outlap.
Knowing the FIA, thre's probably a loophole in the pitstop regulations that we'll find this weekend :lol:

mendis
mendis

AR3-GP wrote:
23 May 2023, 14:02
mendis wrote:
23 May 2023, 07:58
chrisc90 wrote:

Knowing the FIA, thre's probably a loophole in the pitstop regulations that we'll find this weekend :lol:
That loophole should be banned if it works against a certain driver?

langedweil

napoleon1981 wrote:
22 May 2023, 18:21
AR3-GP wrote:
22 May 2023, 18:13
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 May 2023, 17:30

You'd then get people moaning about track evolution or moaning because it rained more/less for one than another driver.
Just send people who crash to the back of the grid then.
Im surprised this rule hasnt been implemented yet. Bring out a flag you are at the back of the grid, or at least the back of the respective Q session you entered last.
Indeed ... invalidate all times of that Q session, pretty easy.
HuggaWugga !