Decent 3d models for CFD

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
christian.falavena

Decent 3d models for CFD

Hi all, I’m trying to do a CFD sim for an F1 floor. The main problem is that every solid model on the web has straight strakes and not turning on outside, so it’s a completely messed up design.
I found a decent model but it was only in STL format, so impossible to do a CFD with.
If anyone has some decent car models please suggest or help me. Thank you very much

beschadigunc
beschadigunc

Re: Decent 3d models for CFD

You can ask MVRC crowd to donate their year old car. Doubt you will find anything good in internet otherwise

Koldskaal

christian.falavena wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 14:35
Hi all, I’m trying to do a CFD sim for an F1 floor. The main problem is that every solid model on the web has straight strakes and not turning on outside, so it’s a completely messed up design.
I found a decent model but it was only in STL format, so impossible to do a CFD with.
If anyone has some decent car models please suggest or help me. Thank you very much
In MVRC we only use .stl for the geometry. So it's not impossible :D . SnappyHexMesh happily accepts stls as input.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

thebot
thebot

the .stl file is only for geometry and to create a mesh so maybe you can do it in simflow 4.0

Billzilla
Billzilla

Can't you save the STL into a different format that you can use? I use Solidworks and you can save nearly anything as nearly anything else.

christian.falavena

Koldskaal wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 14:35
In MVRC we only use .stl for the geometry. So it's not impossible :D . SnappyHexMesh happily accepts stls as input.
Yeah but when I try to simulate it, it results as a zero thickness surface, and with every 3D tool it’s impossible to thicken it because it’s a complex model

yinlad

The issue is that it's modelled as a surface with no thickness rather than it being an STL then
MVRC - Panthera

christian.falavena

yinlad wrote:The issue is that it's modelled as a surface with no thickness rather than it being an STL then
Is there a way to solve this?

Racingf1
Racingf1

05 Jun 2023, 14:06
yinlad wrote:The issue is that it's modelled as a surface with no thickness rather than it being an STL then
Is there a way to solve this?
Ansa would be your friend to do the geometry clean-up.
https://www.beta-cae.com/ansa.htm