2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

Tyre selection
C1 - C2 - C3

2022 Results
Qualifying

Race

2022 Pole Lap
2022 Race Highlights

Schedule and more information

Chuckjr

Re: 2023 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 07 - 09

Red Bull
AMR
Ferrari
Merc
Macca
Watching F1 since 1986.

chrisc90

Important to note that Pirelli are brining new tyres here.

Anyone any specifics of what’s different?

ali623
ali623

Mercedes will be strong here, always are. Similar characteristics to Catalunya where they were at their best so far this season.

Ferrari, at least Leclerc, will also be strong. Like Hamilton, this is Leclerc's best circuit.

Hard to say with AM, but I suspect they'll struggle here again.

Red Bull will be mighty and should be getting a 1-2 if Perez doesn't mess up his qualifying again.

New tyres could maybe shake things up, Ferrari seem to be hoping it'll be advantageous for them.

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 10:25
Important to note that Pirelli are brining new tyres here.

Anyone any specifics of what’s different?
There are some quotes from a recent Formu1a article and a motorsport.com article about it.

Formu1a article:
A novelty , hitherto underestimated, will be that of the new Pirellis . Even through the mouth of Mario Isola himself, the modification to the casing shouldn't alter the values on the track, nor the behavior of the tyres, but it remains an additional unknown factor which will be introduced by the British Grand Prix. According to an opposing team however, the new front tires will have a slightly 'stronger' structure and this could indirectly affect those with a limited or not particularly solid front. Citing Ferrari and Aston Martin . It would therefore seem to be no coincidence that after the race, answering a question about this issue, Vasseur said he hoped“that the new tires are a 'game changer'. We may not be as fast as Max, but we hope to take one more small step at Silverstone and get closer" also referring to the new arrivals and the work of understanding the package of new features introduced on the SF-23 so far.
And from motorsport.com:
Red Bull was keen to find out what the impact of the new tyres will be.

“Yeah, a little bit,” said chief engineer Paul Monaghan (RB) when asked by Motorsport.com if the team had learned much from the testing.
“I won't spill the beans as to what we have derived from it. Not many people ran FP1 in a normal condition against it. But we've all made our measurements, and at the moment it's coming for Silverstone.”

Asked if there was an impact that the team would have to adapt to Monaghan said: “There is an impact. Adaptation, I think we'll be okay at the moment, I guess the acid test is Friday and Saturday or Sunday at Silverstone.
“I know some people carried pressure tap arrays behind the front wheels to see what was going on with that. That's a different level of preparation on some.

“At the moment, I would say the impact is modest. But I could be well proven wrong at Silverstone, couldn't I?”
Aston Martin performance director Tom McCullough said his team had gathered some useful information with which to prepare for the British GP.

"We sort of banked a lot of data on the measurement side,” he said. “We will then process that data and turn up hopefully at Silverstone and then be in a stronger position.

“So there weren't huge differences, but we haven't done good high fuel long runs, with the programmes and everything else we were trying to achieve. It was more of a data-driven exercise for us.”
Isola:
Barcelona is a quite well known circuit and they know if the tyres are behaving as expected or not. Also talking to the team no particular comments or issues.”

chrisc90

Seems RB know what’s going on then

Cs98
Cs98

ali623 wrote:
04 Jul 2023, 11:06
Mercedes will be strong here, always are. Similar characteristics to Catalunya where they were at their best so far this season.

Ferrari, at least Leclerc, will also be strong. Like Hamilton, this is Leclerc's best circuit.

Hard to say with AM, but I suspect they'll struggle here again.

Red Bull will be mighty and should be getting a 1-2 if Perez doesn't mess up his qualifying again.

New tyres could maybe shake things up, Ferrari seem to be hoping it'll be advantageous for them.
The upgrade makes it impossible to predict. But if they ran the same car they had in Austria they could be anywhere from 2nd to 5th. I think Ferrari and AMR will be pretty strong here. McLaren is a wild card.

chrisc90

I think the top 3 teams will be strong. RB, Ferrari and AMR. AMR seemed to drop a little bit before Austria but seem to have a bit more back. The one im most interested in is whether the Mclaren 'further' upgrades (on top of the Austria ones - which were mega competitive) is enough to get them fighting with the guys behind Red Bull. McLaren were much faster than Mercedes in Austria so definitely be good to see how that battle between them plays out at a different track.

Mercedes, for me, seem to be stuck in no mans land again. Their Monaco update seemed to work alright in Spain and Canada but massively dropped in Austria. With a initial reported engine cover, floor and one site saying now just a Front Wing upgrade be interesting to see where they stand again compared to others. Wasnt it Spain where Mercedes claimed they were a tenth up on Ferrari? Not sure if that was just for Spain or for overall performance.

Last year Max was carrying some pretty heavy floor damage after running over some debris so never really got to see how the RB18 performed at Silverstone.

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Fair few nonsense posts have been deleted in here.

Let's try to keep on the racing and f1 stuff eh?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

chrisc90

dialtone
dialtone

Low and medium load front wings for Ferrari it seems.

Wouter

Lando has arrived at the circuit. This is so cute.

Image . Image
Last edited by Wouter on 06 Jul 2023, 13:30, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Wouter wrote:
06 Jul 2023, 11:54
Lando has arrived at the circuit. This is so cute.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F0WArmOWIAA ... name=small
Which one is Lando?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Same wings as Austria.

chrisc90

Rumour of storm potential over the UK at the weekend. I imagine any of the storms will be isolated and very heavy when they arrive.