Silly season 2024-2025

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JordanMugen

Silly season 2024-2025

McLaren's driver lineup is unlikely to be part of the 2024 silly season, though Norris' Ferrari pre-contract rumour for 2025 is most interesting... :)

It seems a sideway step at best but part of Lando collecting all the best company cars! :D

I do hope Red Bull go through with signing Leclerc for 2025, I think that would be best for the team, for the sport and for publicity. They both like oversteering cars, so car setup shouldn't be an issue. IMO it is relatively unlikely that Leclerc and Verstappen would often collide on track and take both Red Bulls out of the race. Supposedly Liberty Media are quite keen on this!

Edax
Edax

Re: Silly season 2024-2025

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Jul 2023, 19:28
McLaren's driver lineup is unlikely to be part of the 2024 silly season, though Norris' Ferrari pre-contract rumour for 2025 is most interesting... :)

It seems a sideway step at best but part of Lando collecting all the best company cars! :D

I do hope Red Bull go through with signing Leclerc for 2025, I think that would be best for the team, for the sport and for publicity. They both like oversteering cars, so car setup shouldn't be an issue. IMO it is relatively unlikely that Leclerc and Verstappen would often collide on track and take both Red Bulls out of the race. Supposedly Liberty Media are quite keen on this!
These are interesting times. Not only is there an overwhelming amount of talent on the grid. They also seem genuinely friendly towards each other. Think there hasn’t been any moment in time the F1 managers could draw up so many compatible driver pairings and not worry about them starting a cold war across the garage.

hollus

Silly season 2024-2025

OK, it looks like 3 seasons in a thread is enough... the 2021-22-23 thread is... outdated. viewtopic.php?p=1146831#p1146831.

Here is a thread for the next 2 seasons at least. I moved the last two posts here from summer 2023 to get it rolling.
Rivals, not enemies.

Willy
Willy

JordanMugen wrote:
14 Jul 2023, 19:28

As per RBR news twitter account, Oliver Mintzalaff is keen on having two strong drivers at Red Bull. So that's why they have started with assessing Daniel, reaching out to Lando and Charles. For 2024, it appears unlikely that either of them are available. 2025 is likely when they might sign one of the two. If Perez improves in the second half, he might continue for 2024 else Daniel would be likely candidate for 2024 if he beats Tsunoda convincingly. If Tsunoda beats Daniel, then he might become the option for 2024.

djos

It looks like AT are extremely excited to have Daniel back, I wonder what this type of reception will do to Yuki’s confidence?

I do agree with the speculation tho, if Yuki beats Daniel, he’ll get promoted to RedBull. If Daniel beats Yuki, he gets his seat back.

Perez has shown that he’s mentally fragile, so I think he’s out at the end of the 23 season.
"In downforce we trust"

Stu

The merry-go-round for 2025 looks interesting (for now I’ll make two assumptions - Ricciardo will be in the RedBull for 2024, following the half season ‘trial’ with AT, Liam Lawson will get the seat for ‘25 season).

If Norris chooses the Ferrari route (much will depend on how the turnaround continues this year) & we see Leclerc at RedBull, where does Sainz end up?
Ultimately for 2026 I see Tsunoda going to AMR (Honda, obvs…), but will Stroll still be there.
Where do Ricciardo & Perez end up? Retirement?
With the field tightening up each year there is a real lottery as to who could head the pack each year.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

djos

Stu wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 10:05
The merry-go-round for 2025 looks interesting (for now I’ll make two assumptions - Ricciardo will be in the RedBull for 2024, following the half season ‘trial’ with AT, Liam Lawson will get the seat for ‘25 season).

If Norris chooses the Ferrari route (much will depend on how the turnaround continues this year) & we see Leclerc at RedBull, where does Sainz end up?
Ultimately for 2026 I see Tsunoda going to AMR (Honda, obvs…), but will Stroll still be there.
Where do Ricciardo & Perez end up? Retirement?
With the field tightening up each year there is a real lottery as to who could head the pack each year.
I wonder if Riccardo will do an Alonso and drive till he's 45? [-o<

(assuming he nails his AT stint of course)
"In downforce we trust"

ME4ME

Love seeing Daniel Riccardo back. He has looked so happy ever since Silverstone. He seems to have realized he belongs in the Red Bull Racing family. It just gels, he's wanted, respected and certainly Horner and Tost believe in him. He should have his confidence back. There is no way he could blame lack of support now if things don't turn out well. It's all up to him.

With that said I think he has a challenge ahead of him. Tsunoda is a bit all over the place but he isn't slow. Last year he matched or beat Gasly several times, and this year he is much improved, more consistent. I don't think its a given that Ricciardo beats him with a large margin. Best case, he'll beat him marginally.

djos

Gasly is imo overrated, look at his tenure at Alpine so far, he’s cost the team huge points (Melbourne) and had multiple races with a stack of penalties for his trouble. He was very lucky to get a win the other year, but heck even Maldonado bagged a win in his crash fest of a career.

Daniel should be a much tougher test for Yuki, that is for sure.
Last edited by djos on 15 Jul 2023, 12:21, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Farnborough
Farnborough

I feel it's very hard to rate Gasly in skills, highly varied from v-fast to puzzling in the extreme.

It must be quite frustrating working with him from a team perspective.

djos

Farnborough wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 12:16
I feel it's very hard to rate Gasly in skills, highly varied from v-fast to puzzling in the extreme.

It must be quite frustrating working with him from a team perspective.
Apparently the word from RedBull was that he was a Prima Donna who thought they should design the car to suit him, and was difficult to work with.

I don’t know how much of it is true, but they did demote him back to AT pretty rapidly.
"In downforce we trust"

ME4ME

He wasn't doing too well against Verstappen so panicked and went too extreme with the setup in the hope of finding a unicorn.

I don't think they said he was difficult to work with. I think Gasly said he felt a lack of support, and in all honesty he had a less experienced race engineer. But ultimately he just lacked pace and panicked.

What I find interesting is how he compares to Ocon, who people do say is diffucult to work with.

Ocon lost out to both Ricciardo and to Perez over a season. So now Red Bull is contemplating to replace one Ocon-beater with another. But then Ocon redeemed himself in matching Alonso last year.

djos

ME4ME wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 12:33
He wasn't doing too well against Verstappen so panicked and went too extreme with the setup in the hope of finding a unicorn.

I don't think they said he was difficult to work with. I think Gasly said he felt a lack of support, and in all honesty he had a less experienced race engineer. But ultimately he just lacked pace and panicked.

What I find interesting is how he compares to Ocon, who people do say is diffucult to work with.

Ocon lost out to both Ricciardo and to Perez over a season. So now Red Bull is contemplating to replace one Ocon-beater with another. But then Ocon redeemed himself in matching Alonso last year.
I knew there were some comments around somewhere, and I found them:
Gasly’s all-round approach was not always popular at Red Bull, where he was reckoned to be too obsessed with small details such as making multiple seats, chasing the set-up for specific corners rather than focusing on the ‘global’ compromise for the lap, not adapting to the dynamics demands of the car and not taking direction well.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-red- ... asly-back/

Not a good look, little wonder they happily let him leave for Alpine.
"In downforce we trust"

raymondu999

ME4ME wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 12:05
Love seeing Daniel Riccardo back. He has looked so happy ever since Silverstone. He seems to have realized he belongs in the Red Bull Racing family. It just gels, he's wanted, respected and certainly Horner and Tost believe in him. He should have his confidence back. There is no way he could blame lack of support now if things don't turn out well. It's all up to him.

With that said I think he has a challenge ahead of him. Tsunoda is a bit all over the place but he isn't slow. Last year he matched or beat Gasly several times, and this year he is much improved, more consistent. I don't think its a given that Ricciardo beats him with a large margin. Best case, he'll beat him marginally.
This sort of makes me sad a bit, I feel the same with Seb in RBR tbh. Although in hindsight I guess Ferrari would have gotten him closer to titles in 2015-2020 than RBR would have.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ringo

djos wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 12:43
ME4ME wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 12:33

I knew there were some comments around somewhere, and I found them:
Gasly’s all-round approach was not always popular at Red Bull, where he was reckoned to be too obsessed with small details such as making multiple seats, chasing the set-up for specific corners rather than focusing on the ‘global’ compromise for the lap, not adapting to the dynamics demands of the car and not taking direction well.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-red- ... asly-back/

Not a good look, little wonder they happily let him leave for Alpine.
Sounds like they think he was too ignorant and lacked the way of thinking and approach they expect and require for their level.
For Sure!!