Aston Martin-Honda (2026-) confident can avoid the previous independent-full works partnership team failure in the past

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
theriusDR3
theriusDR3

Aston Martin-Honda (2026-) confident can avoid the previous independent-full works partnership team failure in the past

The upcoming Aston Martin-Honda partnership from 2026

Aston Martin will become all-new Honda full-works independent engine partnership from 2026 season onwards in order to contend the titles including free engines as a guarantee for success but Aston Martin must reflecting on the fate of other independent full works partnership teams that ended up failure by very cautious about their future full-works engine partnership to avoid a failure. These are the previous examples of independent-full works engine partnerships that ended up in failure:

1. McLaren-Peugeot (1994)
McLaren enjoyed massive successful with Honda engines in 1988-1992 and later stop-gapped switch to Ford in 1993 due to Honda full-scale leaving Formula 1 after 1992. In 1994 after McLaren failed to secure Lamborghini engine deal, McLaren turned their attention to Peugeot but sadly ended up in bizarre failure by scored 7 podiums (2nd 2x and 3rd 5x) and 12 DNFs. After disastrous partnership with Peugeot, McLaren turned their attention to Ilmor-designed, assembled and tuned Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines from 1995 to 2014 seasons.

2. Prost-Peugeot (1998-2000)
After one year successful with Mugen Honda engines under Prost branding, Prost turned their attention to Peugeot engines following Mugen Honda defection to then-Jordan Grand Prix in 1998. Sadly their relationship with Peugeot were worsened despite 1999 successful by scored 1 podium in Nürburgring 1999 by Jarno Trulli and in 2000 their relationship made further worse by scored most DNFs in history. In 2001 Prost ended their relationship with Peugeot and turned their attention to customer Ferrari engines but not enough and later Prost declared bankrupt following 2001 season.

3. Sauber-Ford (1995-1996)
After two years experimental partnership with Ilmor and Ilmor-designed, assembled and tuned Mercedes-Benz High Performance Engines, Sauber officially switched their engine partnership to Ford following Benetton defection to Mecachrome-designed, assembled and tuned Renault engine that ran on same specifications as Williams. But sadly Sauber partnership with Ford not as success as Benetton by scored 2 podiums and slipped to mid-fielders and thus Ford turned their attention to newly-formed Stewart Grand Prix in 1997.

4. Jordan-Honda (2001-2002)
After three successful seasons with Mugen Honda engines, from 2001 to 2002 season Jordan became Honda's second full-works partner by received a same free engines as BAR team and sadly not as successful as previous Mugen partnership and no podiums. From 2003 season Jordan ditched Honda and turned their attention to customer Ford Cosworth engines.

Any additions? Your opinions?

lando.perez
lando.perez

Re: Aston Martin-Honda (2026-) confident can avoid the previous independent-full works partnership team failure in the p

I hope this does not happen, I guess that even it there looks to be a correlation between owning your own engine and failure it does not mean a proven cause. But I guess just the time will say, and I just hope they don't because I like Aston Martin and this year with Alonso they were doing pretty well.

diffuser

Re: Aston Martin-Honda (2026-) confident can avoid the previous independent-full works partnership team failure in the p

lando.perez wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 15:59
I hope this does not happen, I guess that even it there looks to be a correlation between owning your own engine and failure it does not mean a proven cause. But I guess just the time will say, and I just hope they don't because I like Aston Martin and this year with Alonso they were doing pretty well.
It's well documented what happened with the 2nd Honda/McLaren Relationship. Honda was a late entry. started 2 years after everyone else and told McLaren they weren't ready. McLaren had had a falling out with Merc. Ron Dennis, wanted to show Merc that they could do it without them, forced Honda in anyways. Don't think Ron had read the regulations. This resulted is Honda showing up with a PU that had several sizing issues and not the best design. Once Honda was in they were hemmed in by the rules that restricted the number of changes they could make per year. This forced them to make evolutions and not whole scale changes. In fact, they never were never able to get a powerful/reliable PU till after the FIA relaxed the regulations. After that, Honda came out with a completely redesigned PU. At first it lacked reliability but the power was there. Within a couple of years they were close to Merc in all factors.

Honda have started designing this new PU at the same time as everyone else, so they shouldn't show up with a woeful PU. Plus the only restriction on changes in the following years is budget.

sn809
sn809

Mclaren weren't angels during this time, they had multiple delays as well and their size zero was a huge issue for Honda with very little communication.
Its all water under the bridge now. Lets see how Aston Martin and Honda go.