2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313
basti313

Re: 2023 Qatar Grand Prix - Lusail, Oct 06 - 08

dans79 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:10
Tiny73 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:08
I’ll concede that George was alongside max a little but equally Lewis was well ahead of George and thus George could’ve backed out. That’s what makes it a racing incident at worse for me. Certainly not totally Lewis’ fault.
This year George is showing why he got the nickname Mr Saturday, because he sure shows to be lacking when it comes to wheel to wheel racing.
Well...they collided under braking, didn't they? Not much to back out I would say...maybe throw the anchor...or handbrake turn out of it?
Don`t russel the hamster!

DGP123
DGP123

We spoke about Lewis going ahead at T1

No wonder Lewis, on softs, was going full send. Probably expected GR to yield, or at least not contest the overtake, to allow him to get past Max and maximise those softs.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

basti313 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:48
dans79 wrote:
Tiny73 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:08
I’ll concede that George was alongside max a little but equally Lewis was well ahead of George and thus George could’ve backed out. That’s what makes it a racing incident at worse for me. Certainly not totally Lewis’ fault.
This year George is showing why he got the nickname Mr Saturday, because he sure shows to be lacking when it comes to wheel to wheel racing.
Well...they collided under braking, didn't they? Not much to back out I would say...maybe throw the anchor...or handbrake turn out of it?
I think the point is that according to the team, it was discussed beforehand that George wasn't supposed to have been battling Lewis for position as hard as he was.

basti313
basti313

GrizzleBoy wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:50
basti313 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

I think the point is that according to the team, it was discussed beforehand that George wasn't supposed to have been battling Lewis for position as hard as he was.
??? He was not battling Lewis, he was next to Max. If Lewis would have just stayed on the outside there was a substantial chance to go 1-2 in turn 2.
Do you really think he should have backed out well before the braking point where Lewis was not at all visible for him?
Don`t russel the hamster!

scuderiabrandon

GrizzleBoy wrote:
basti313 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

What do you mean battling for position. It was a lap 1 turn 1 incident where Lewis clearly runs himself out of space, what is George supposed to do there. All LH needs to do is go a bit wider and he'll have the grip on the soft to make the move into T2.

Espresso
Espresso

scuderiabrandon wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:57
GrizzleBoy wrote:
basti313 wrote:

What do you mean battling for position. It was a lap 1 turn 1 incident where Lewis clearly runs himself out of space, what is George supposed to do there. All LH needs to do is go a bit wider and he'll have the grip on the soft to make the move into T2.
This was a typical Lewis move. Normally he get´s the better out of it. With the other car loosing (parts). And the way he strongly moved in....his move would have end up in Max if George hit the brakes. You can´t blame George for this.
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

scuderiabrandon wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:57
GrizzleBoy wrote:
basti313 wrote:

You're ignoring the part of the start where Lewis was passing George and had to avoid contact as George moved over on him to try and get out from behind Verstappen.

There were literally inches between their wheels. That's the battling I'm talking about.

As I said, the team have now said they already discussed the scenario of Lewis having a new set of softs to use and having a different strategy at the start, so I dont know why George would be trying to stop his progress to the point of almost barging wheels unless Lewis avoided.

There is no taking away Lewis being at fault, but that doesn't mean George did the right thing either. If he'd have stuck to the discussed plans, he could have possibly still won the race but he was more concerned with doing his own thing. Which he's entitled to do, but it didn't work out.

Edit: And it seems that George said in the post race interview that they had discussed it, so again, Lewis caused the crash, but George was not supposed to he trying h to stop his progress in the first place.
Last edited by GrizzleBoy on 08 Oct 2023, 22:25, edited 3 times in total.

matt_b
matt_b

Why are people still in here crying? the man apologied and took full responsibility, move on or get help :lol:

ringo

The move was not simply to stay wide, he would have been run off the outside if went wider.
Also it would have been on the dirty side. George moved multiple times then got pinned into Max.
He could have simply lined up behind Max, but he pushed out because he wanted to defend from Lewis advancing.
Hamilton misjudged Russel's position, that is obvious. But he was right not to go too wide into turn 1.
It's just a racing incident. Hamilton forced it yes, but Russel caused it by his movements in and out then to push Lewis wider than he would have liked.
For Sure!!

Sieper

Hammerfist wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:40
DGP123 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:50
Hammerfist wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:45
Max claims he was pushed by the mclarens.
As if he would say anything different

The guy was comfortable from start to finish.
If max was cruising then how do you explain perez being 2 sec off his pace in clear air?
Perez had a lot of different spec parts apparently (rebuild after the sprint race) that made the car more difficult to drive on the set-up for the newer spec, or just as it was different I guess. Still.

Sieper

Hammerfist wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:44
Cs98 wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 21:26
Lewis takes responsibility for the crash, good on him. It always surprises me when fans of drivers remain in a defensive mode when the driver himself has already admitted complete fault and moved on. All the arguments seem to be derived from some sort of "part the seas for Lewis" mentality that is just nonsense. You don't turn in on your teammate when he has no space inside and is already committed to the brakes. It's very similar to the Alonso incident from Spa 2022.
Indeed. Im a massive ham fan but this was his fault. Some people cant be objective.
Gotta give props to PZ in this who called it early on, way before the insta post.

ringo

The overtakes were plentiful, but mostly because of tyre offsets. Somewhat of a merry go round race. Not a special one. I like the track, but the tyre and curb issues need to be solved.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

InsaneX_Badger wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 20:30
This track should never ever grace a formula one car ever again, there's so many other tracks that can take its place.
I agree wholeheartedly

Sieper

ringo wrote:
08 Oct 2023, 22:33
The overtakes were plentiful, but mostly because of tyre offsets. Somewhat of a merry go round race. Not a special one. I like the track, but the tyre and curb issues need to be solved.
I think we even used the hardest tires available already right? It does need to be solved, then we can race here.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

@FastestPitStop
| Lando Norris has just told media that several drivers have FAINTED in the medical centre after the Qatar Grand Prix.
Sky Sports are reporting at least two or three drivers took themselves to medical centre likely due to dehydration.