[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
G-raph

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Busor is my favourite livery, but I quite like the new HRT too.

That FEST is certainly a very bold design. Well done!

(It's not gonna work, is it? ... [-o< )

Edit :

Just realised that LegendaryM (who smashed us all as ToloRacing mid 2022) suggested a similar design in early 2022. I bet he's behind that new beast...

viewtopic.php?p=1082446#p1082446

variante

Thanks LVDH, cool liveries, cool renderings.
But the darks are still too dark.

FEST reminds me of the design madness of Formula Student cars. I applaud that unconventionality.
But I hope it doesn't deliver, else all cars are going to look like that...
(BTW, my favorite part of that car is actually the Front Wing)

Well done everyone, all cars look nicely designed.
I just hoped I could see more development from Busor, who was growing impressively fast last year.
Interesting low-drag setup from Koldskaal.

peisari
peisari

Hi all,

Team FEST here, thank you all for the compliments :D.

Took me definitely more time than I wanted, but I'm (almost) happy with the result.

Cooling is still a bit deficient, and to get here I had to compromise flow to the RW quite a lot. I just started way too optimistic, real F1 inlets being much smaller tricked me.

I have to report a bunch of irregularities on my first iteration:

-Missing RW central support (forgot to add one)
-Nose a bit outside the rule box
-Mirror strut not super compliant
-Missing right side fences (don't get how it happend)

I spent so much time fixing the cooling that I ended up rushing a bunch of things. Also, the floor has almost no optimization. Planning to fix all of this in the next race.

P.S: I found out about this on LinkedIn maybe 2 months ago. Funny to see a super similar concept to mine from somebody else 2 years ago. Hoping it will turn out well next race, not much hope for this one; I see fierce competition :wtf:

CAEdevice

peisari wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 13:29
Hi all,

Team FEST here, thank you all for the compliments :D.

Took me definitely more time than I wanted, but I'm (almost) happy with the result.

Cooling is still a bit deficient, and to get here I had to compromise flow to the RW quite a lot. I just started way too optimistic, real F1 inlets being much smaller tricked me.

I spent so much time fixing the cooling that I ended up rushing a bunch of things. Also, the floor has almost no optimization. Planning to fix all of this in the next race.

P.S: I found out about this on LinkedIn maybe 2 months ago. Funny to see a super similar concept to mine from somebody else 2 years ago. Hoping it will turn out well next race, not much hope for this one; I see fierce competition :wtf:
Welcome! All the small issues you listed are common for the first race. Your challenge for the next races would be to bring energized air to the rear wing, but looking at your geoemtry, you know how to deal with airflow.

Meanwhile I dedicated the "cover" of the pre-race post on Linkedin to your design.

Koldskaal

ROUND 1 - JAPANESE GRAND PRIX
(goes live tomorrow)

y'all ready?
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

CAEdevice

Very cool video, the soundtrack at the beginning is the icing on the cake (I won't spoil the result)

yinlad

Congrats to the winner. Very impressive!

I am left somewhat frustrated and scratching my head, I'll have to look at the official CFD results once we get them to figure out if I've missed something, or if I just have the worst correlation issues I've ever faced.

This were my sim results ahead of submission,

I'd have expected to pick up a bit on top of this, as I (and everyone else) has always tended to see. To have lost over 0.2cl going to the full simulation, I don't even know where to begin trying to understand
MVRC - Panthera

variante

I will spoil the results.

Congratulations to G-raph! I did not expect such a strong winter development.
Welcome back on the podium to CAEdevice, who also made good progress.
And what a tight pack right after: 6 cars within half a second!

Here's the progress of the top 3, compared to last year (Drag ; Rear Downforce):
G-raph: +0.055 ; +0.506
Variante: -0.017 ; +0.204
CAEdevice: +0.016 ; +0.354
Mind that I was running a trimmed Rear Wing. I think that G-raph also has RW potential.

Talking about setup, the online laptime simulator shows a much smaller gap than the official one.
That's why I went with low-er drag...
But still, thanks to the whole MVRC staff for this nice and rapid delivery.

LVDH

Yes, great race and this time, congratulations to the top three cars. Variante was maybe a bit sad, while CAEdevice is probably super happy. I just think it is great to see the level of the cars on top. And I happen to know that all three floors look completely different. While there are so many copied elements that I have found on at least of half the cars, it is crazy to see how different they still are.

Big thank you to everyone involved. It was the first race of the season and everything went very well. For those that do not understand what happens behind the scenes of this super international project:
  • First the cars arrive from all over the world to my place in Germany:
  • I prepare the CFD cases, prepare the renders and run the scrutineering process
  • Then the CFD cases go out to our new sponsor cloudHPC in Italy, where they then get simulated
  • The simulation results go to Max in the USA
  • Those results together with the renders go to Christian in Denmark
  • While the race is kind of over, CAEdevice in Italy then promotes everything on LinkedIn, which is also important for the competition as we now all know as it brought cloudHPC and new competitors to us.
So once more, thank you to everyone involved!

And great work by all the teams as well: The cars look cool and I cannot wait to see how they transform for the next race.

(BTW: Somebdy else agreed with me: CAEdevice is currently my favorite livery.)

peisari wrote:
20 Apr 2024, 13:29

Yepp, your car has quite a lot of small issues. None were very substantial but because there are so many, you will receive your first penalty. As mentioned by someone, do not worry, it is pretty normal at the beginning to have such issues.

I will release preliminary scrutineering results tomorrow. I have to dig a bit deeper into some cars. While I do not think anyone else will receive a penalty, it is important to flag what I am suspecting, just to prevent it in future races.

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 10:07
Very cool video, the soundtrack at the beginning is the icing on the cake (I won't spoil the result)
Congrats on the podium, by the way (now that some time has passed and I don't feel so bad about spoiling).

It hurt to lose out on P3 to you by so little, I won't lie!

Hopefully I find out where the correlation has all gone a bit wrong for me and get on top of it quickly
MVRC - Panthera

CAEdevice

yinlad wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 14:25
CAEdevice wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 10:07
Congrats on the podium, by the way (now that some time has passed and I don't feel so bad about spoiling).

It hurt to lose out on P3 to you by so little, I won't lie!
https://i.imgur.com/tGEfmo5.png

Hopefully I find out where the correlation has all gone a bit wrong for me and get on top of it quickly
I think I'm even worse at interpreting the results of the quick simulation: this is why I'm doing few simulations but with the "standard" template, which leads to results very similar to the "long" option.

Ft5fTL

-6.8 cl :shock:. Very impressive stuff G-Raph congrats to the win. I'm happy to return to top 5. The development race will be very fun with this close competition on midfield.
Mantium Challenge - Pure Power Racing

yinlad

Thanks for the prompt results package. I was hoping for a miracle and to spot an error in the simulation, but all ok. It just looks like for whatever reason this year I'm losing load between quick and long templates. 0.04 less downforce on all the main load generating surfaces and added lift on the suspension and wheels. In the end it's all added up to 0.22 less 😭

I suppose the good news is that even with that I was close to the podium, onto R02!
MVRC - Panthera

spacehead3

Was messing with AI at work today... Since it seems to be coming for my job, I figured I'd come for Andre's rendering job too:

Just kidding, but I thought this was pretty neat!
Max Taylor

LVDH

This looks very interesting. I like the general style, too bad it messes up all the logos on the cars. What tool did you use for this?