[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
Busor
Busor

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2024 (Grand Prix Cars)

LVDH wrote:
17 Mar 2024, 19:17
Dodgy_Malaka_69 wrote:
16 Mar 2024, 14:48
Hi guys, I'm new to this challenge. I just wanted some help in designing the bodywork and floor. Im using SpaceClaim as it lets me make the parts with the RV's.
I've done the front wing, floor and bodywork seems difficult for me. Any tips will be appreciated.
P.s. This is my first time posting something in F1Technical, so I'm sorry if I reply to someone while creating this thread. (I used the quick reply to post this)
Nice timing with this post. A few years back, we always provided some kind of base car for new comers to have a starting point. No idea how that disappeared but thanks to Max there might soon be a replacement.

My update is out. MFlow has been updated. Beside some nice new features, in the MVRC templates, you now have increased tire roughness as proposed by Max.
In addition, there is a small update to the CAD parts. The fuel tank and battery now have a nicer design for you guys.

Thanks for the updates!
I think we got a new gap between the new fuel cell and battery?
Busor

yinlad

How about a little render of an early development car as a treat =P~
MVRC - Panthera

hollus

I miss the days when car launches were the real thing meant for the first race, and not just a render ;-)
Rivals, not enemies.

CAEdevice

hollus wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 01:59
I miss the days when car launches were the real thing meant for the first race, and not just a render ;-)
MVRC car launches are more real than Redbull 2022 :D

variante

yinlad wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 21:59
https://i.imgur.com/NmLvhxY.png

Awesome render!
Interesting details on the car, and -so far- we do share the same air intakes.

yinlad

spacehead3 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 15:18
Hey all, just to let you know it will probably be a few more weeks before I get the lap sim website updated. Between moving house and real-world aero work I haven't had much time to work on it yet. Luckily all but one of the tracks is the same this year, so you should still be able to use the current site to dial in your cars in the meantime.
I suspect I am not the only person who's going to run into this but with the current site we're limited by;
'Please enter a value greater than or equal to -6.'
variante wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 16:56
yinlad wrote:

Awesome render!
Interesting details on the car, and -so far- we do share the same air intakes.
Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing what direction everyone has gone. At the moment the extra drag from the roughness change is making be feel a bit sick
MVRC - Panthera

spacehead3

yinlad wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 19:40
I suspect I am not the only person who's going to run into this but with the current site we're limited by;
'Please enter a value greater than or equal to -6.'
You actually can enter any value that you want and it will calculate, the warning is just that it's beyond the interpolation limits of the regression. As long as its not too far outside you're probably fine.

But I will try to get it updated soon.
Max Taylor

asaparrat
asaparrat

Hi All, I'm Alejandro, i've been reading over here for several years and looking your work. I'm interested in participate in the championship, so donwnloaded the model that max generously share with everybody, and started to work. For now my numbers does'nt show a competitive car, but first I must to fix some issues. The first problem i have is with the radiator flow, the nombers show a negative volume of -0.01546, and in the postprocessing i don't see any streamlines through the porous media. I put the monitoring surface like the MVRC 2024 rules, i saw over the forum that this surface is a little trycky to mesh. Please if anybody can help me i will appreciate a lot.
Many thanks
Alejandro

CAEdevice

asaparrat wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 21:11
Hi All, I'm Alejandro, i've been reading over here for several years and looking your work. I'm interested in participate in the championship, so donwnloaded the model that max generously share with everybody, and started to work. For now my numbers does'nt show a competitive car, but first I must to fix some issues. The first problem i have is with the radiator flow, the nombers show a negative volume of -0.01546, and in the postprocessing i don't see any streamlines through the porous media. I put the monitoring surface like the MVRC 2024 rules, i saw over the forum that this surface is a little trycky to mesh. Please if anybody can help me i will appreciate a lot.
Many thanks
Alejandro
Zero flow might be related to bigger issues, but you can try exporting the heat exchangers to stl with triangles smaller than 10mm (same for the monitoring surfaces).

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 22:49
asaparrat wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 21:11
Many thanks
Alejandro
Zero flow might be related to bigger issues, but you can try exporting the heat exchangers to stl with triangles smaller than 10mm (same for the monitoring surfaces).
I've noticed that streamlines for cooling don't seem to be generating properly in the 2024 MFlow versions, but the number output is correct, so it seems there is a bigger issue as CAEdevice hinted
MVRC - Panthera

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Thanks for the messages. I have been playing around with various CAD tools - but my brain does not seem wired for it... I will keep on trying and hopefully get something for the first race!!! Thanks Max for the files. I will download now and see how things progress from there

asaparrat
asaparrat

I think the problem is the size of the triangles as matteo Say, i miss that detail. I Will make those surfaces with smaller triangles, with the less skewness as possible. Any other sugestions about the triangles size?
Thanks
Alejandro

julien.decharentenay
julien.decharentenay

Does anyone know of a good source for airfoil profiles? I recently played with xfoil but don't really know what to use a ls a starting point...

LVDH

Busor wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 11:33
Thanks for the updates!
I think we got a new gap between the new fuel cell and battery?
No idea how that got there, but it is fixed now.

hollus wrote:
22 Mar 2024, 01:59
The mods are reading what we are doing - great.
Any chance you could clean up the pinned posts? Would be cool to have the new season on top.

Regarding the cooling flow and streamlines. Right now, MFlow expects a properly meshed measurement surface.
To get an idea why we need this, there is this super old post:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/porous-media-openfoam/
As these super fine meshed files caused a huge memory breaking amount of streamlines, MFlow now uses a decimated version of the file for the streamlines. I think if you had a very coarse file to begin with, this could cause so few stream lines, that is looks broken in post-processing.
Another mistake that has happened last year, was not using a surface but a flat volume. This means you have normal pointing forward and other backward, numerically cancelling each other out. MFlow does warn you though.
I figured out how MFlow can create the surface automatically so in a future update you will not have to deal with this anymore.

k.ko100v wrote:
21 Mar 2024, 10:32
In terms of MantiumFlow latest win update, can we use BlueCFD 2020-1 or 2017-2 is the latest possible version?
Can one of our Windows users help out here? I keep away from touching this part of MFlow. So we still use the same BlueCFD version we always did.
I am working on a big update which will be able to use the supplied Docker versions of OpenFOAM. But this will take a while...

G-raph

yinlad wrote:

Exciting render! =D>

If you have already reached -6 Cl with the fast settings, then you are doing incredibly well! :o

asaparrat wrote:
23 Mar 2024, 16:38
Any other sugestions about the triangles size?
If you can export this control surface as an STL with triangles of constant 5mm size, then you will match what André uses for the official simulations.