2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mendis
mendis

2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

LAST YEAR'S RACE SIMULATIONS

MORE INFORMATION

Mod edit: I am copying here the now “traditional” timing sheet created daily by Oehrly:
Oehrly wrote:
21 Feb 2024, 20:06
Hi everybody, it's time for timing data.
Due to popular request, here is the link to the apparently "traditional" Google Sheet with all timing data for the whole day.
(Not sure if anybody else makes these as well by now)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Please do a bit of a sanity check when using the data. I'm a bit short on time and just quickly tried to bend my upload script into submission, persuaded google to use the correct data types and hope everything is good now.

Day 2 and Day 3 will be added to the currently empty worksheets.

The sheets for 2023 and 2022 are linked in the document as well, if you want to compare.

It should be possible to properly filter and sort all columns by drivers, lap times and so on.

And if you want, you might of course add the link to the opening post so it doesn't get lost as easily.

sn809
sn809

Re: 2024 Pre-Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Feb 21 - 23

Thanks for consolidating the information. Will be an interesting testing as it always is :)

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

The annual pre-season coping thread is here!

Alonso's last years sim was really bewildering to watch with lap times going down due to decrease in fuel faster than they going up due to degradation.

Sawtooth-spike

Do we know who is running on which days yet?
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

Wouter

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
15 Feb 2024, 13:06
The Power of Dreams!

mendis
mendis

With Pirelli NOT having made any announcements regarding changing of compound construction, we can believe the compounds are going to be the exact same as last year. So, the lap time comparison would not have that as a variable like it was between 22 and 23.

If temperatures remain similar to last year, which it most likely will, then that's not going to be a contributing factor either.

That leaves us with the tarmac. With ageing, the tarmac would be slightly more abrasive and that surely is going to be a contributing factor on the tyre deg.

Juzh

Should mods move this thread in the main general chat? I nearly missed it.

RedNEO

Sawtooth-spike wrote:
1.5 days per driver is so ridiculous it almost doesn’t matter lol

Xyz22
Xyz22

Only 3 days of testing is so stupid.

RedNEO

Especially when they are stuck there for 2 weeks anyway

the EDGE
the EDGE

RedNEO wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 11:42
Sawtooth-spike wrote:
Why exactly is it ridiculous?

I’d much rather see more racing, which is what we’re getting. It’s the same for all teams, so it’s fair. Teams will just have to make sure they’re properly prepared & react on the go.

Worst case scenario… some good teams will make mistakes and teams lower down the grid will take advantage. What’s the problem with that?

RedNEO

the EDGE wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 12:25
RedNEO wrote:
Sawtooth-spike wrote:

I’d much rather see more racing, which is what we’re getting. It’s the same for all teams, so it’s fair. Teams will just have to make sure they’re properly prepared & react on the go.

Worst case scenario… some good teams will make mistakes and teams lower down the grid will take advantage. What’s the problem with that?
It’s ridiculous because if it really was about saving money or being greener they would just have less races. When you have a calendar of 24 races you will have a hard time convincing anybody with a straight look on your face that you’ve saved boat loads of money by only driving for 3 days at the same place instead of 6 or having 2 cars for those 3 days.

the EDGE
the EDGE

RedNEO wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 12:37
the EDGE wrote:
RedNEO wrote:

It’s ridiculous because if it really was about saving money or being greener they would just have less races. When you have a calendar of 24 races you will have a hard time convincing anybody with a straight look on your face that you’ve saved boat loads of money by only driving for 3 days at the same place instead of 6 or having 2 cars for those 3 days.
I don’t know anything about being greener, but it certainly saves money. Testing for 6 days or having 2 cars for 3 days would require twice as many wearable parts… engines, gear boxes, brakes, etc.

Testing brings in zero revenue, racing does

So drivers may be a little rusty at the start of the season. They’ll all be in the same boat, but as I said, I’d rather have more racing than more testing, which is what we now get

Testing is quite frankly boring, I will of course follow, but I certainly won’t be watching

RedNEO

the EDGE wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 12:57
RedNEO wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

I don’t know anything about being greener, but it certainly saves money. Testing for 6 days or having 2 cars for 3 days would require twice as many wearable parts… engines, gear boxes, brakes, etc.

So drivers may be a little rusty at the start of the season. They’ll all be in the same boat, but as I said, I’d rather have more racing than more testing, which is what we now get

Testing is quite frankly boring, I will of course follow, but I certainly won’t be watching
They literally race there the week after so they would have to do everything you are suggesting a couple of days later so they save nothing it’s ridiculous.

the EDGE
the EDGE

RedNEO wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 13:08
the EDGE wrote:
16 Feb 2024, 12:57
RedNEO wrote:

They literally race there the week after so they would have to do everything you are suggesting a couple of days later so they save nothing it’s ridiculous.
Well no… they are paid to race which pays for the wearable parts. They are not paid to test