F1 Simulators

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
mwillems

F1 Simulators

I don't know if this has been posted before, but it's worth a watch. This is a video of Jon Noble driving in Dynisma's DMG-1, marketed as the most advanced F1 Simulator in the world and this particular version is second only to the bespoke simulator they developed for Ferrari.

https://www.dynisma.com/news/driving-th ... 0simulator.

I found it interesting to hear that the focus of the technology is around latency, and delivering, information, feedback, movement with almost no latency to create a very real experience.

There's no mention of how good it is at simulating G-Force, but it produces some simulation of the cornering forces. I would assume that it is something like this that most F1 teams have, including Mclaren, who started using a new Sim last year.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Re: F1 Simulators

Simulators create the illusion of g force by using 'cueing', which uses a lot of secret sauce tricks to convince your body it is accelerating when it isn't. The alternative is that you need a lot of space. For instance this one has several metres of tracks in each direction, but still has to use cueing to give the impression of latacc. It also has 360 degree vision as that is essential for passenger car evaluations.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 3138beb638

mwillems

Greg Locock wrote:
23 May 2024, 00:21
Simulators create the illusion of g force by using 'cueing', which uses a lot of secret sauce tricks to convince your body it is accelerating when it isn't. The alternative is that you need a lot of space. For instance this one has several metres of tracks in each direction, but still has to use cueing to give the impression of latacc. It also has 360 degree vision as that is essential for passenger car evaluations.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 3138beb638
Jon spoke about it also being an emotion simulator too. I guess that if the sim does enough of the things that happen in a corner that it is really in a corner and does them in a very real way that trigger certain responses, then your mind becomes a part of the sim and fills in the gaps.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Or, as happens with a significant proportion of the population, your brain doesn't fill in the gaps and says 'get me out of here'. I find them usable but not enjoyable, my partner in crime is in the 'pass the sick bag' camp.

AaronWood
AaronWood

I think it's physically impossible to create sustained g-forces on a simulator. I can imagine maybe using seatbelts to pull the driver in certain directions to give the illusion but idk if that will be anywhere close to the real deal.

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Yup belt tensioners are part of the cueing. 0.5 seconds at 4g laterally would need 5m wide tracks,

Martin Keene
Martin Keene

They must be useful, other wise the teams wouldn't use them. But how do they tell the computer they have tweaked a roll bar stiffness by 5% and have the computer know what that does to the handling?

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

The simulator runs a vehicle dynamics model (my job is creating good vehicle dynamics models). They might be racing simulator based engines like rfactor, or real time ADAMS/Car or a home grown app or Carsim, which is what the Deakin simulator uses. These allow you to switch components (or their effects) very easily.