Latest topics on front page

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
pRo

Latest topics on front page

Related to this locked topic:
viewtopic.php?p=36584

I also find it weird to see all off-topic threads on the front page of F1 site. The dead guy, whose name I've never heard before, is just one, though good, example. Another one right now is a thread about losing weight and it doesn't seem to be about cars weight. ;) I know it's spam, wonder why it's been up there for a day already though.

I believe many use the front page to get to the latest threads. I know I do. Yes, I also know how to "properly" use forums, but for some reason I never browse this forum like that. Maybe the regulars do and maybe they can avoid even seeing the off-topic chats, but think of the newbies too. 8)

Maybe the front page could only link to the threads in F1 areas?

Take a look at yourself:
http://www.f1technical.net/
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Principessa

The front page always links to the latest threads where someone has posted. The spam you were talking about was something I missed, but you can't forget that I can't watch the site 24/24. I also have school, internship and my life. I'm doing the best I can and Tomba as well.

about the off topic chat, we can NOT let out the off topic chat. People can share funny things and things that are on their minds about stuff that happened around the world.

You can not expect that everything on F1technical is about the technical side of F1, but you can say that we're doing a really good job if you ask me. There aren't many sites with technical articles, development blog and the technology documents we have. I also have to say that what's been posted in the technology sections of the forum are of a very high quality, so if you're only interested in that, click on that part of the forum and normally you'll see which are new topics or topics that another one has replied to.

pRo

Principessa wrote:The front page always links to the latest threads where someone has posted.
I know, I was just wondering if it could be changed. IMHO the front page of any site is the most important page. When someone comes here for the first time and sees that the latest topics have nothing to do with F1, he might never come back again. It's a crowded net out there these days and the first look on the front page means a lot. Often more than it should, but that's just how it goes. 8)

The spam you were talking about was something I missed, but you can't forget that I can't watch the site 24/24. I also have school, internship and my life. I'm doing the best I can and Tomba as well.
Sorry, didn't mean it like that. :oops:

about the off topic chat, we can NOT let out the off topic chat. People can share funny things and things that are on their minds about stuff that happened around the world.
And I didn't mean that. What I was suggesting was, that maybe the off topic threads shouldn't be linked to the front page. I'm sure that's possible, cause other sites do that as well.

I suppose it's a matter of opinion whether the front page should show the contents of the whole forum, or just the threads related to the site. I prefer the latter. 8)

we're doing a really good job if you ask me
Yes, you are. I was just sharing my thoughts about how to make it even better after noticing someone else shared my thoughts. ;)

I also have to say that what's been posted in the technology sections of the forum are of a very high quality, so if you're only interested in that, click on that part of the forum and normally you'll see which are new topics or topics that another one has replied to.
Like I said, I'm afraid I don't do that. There are too many good sites to concentrate only on one site. Front page with the latest articles and threads is a great way to have a quick look on several sites to see what's new on them and then click on anything interesting. I'm afraid I don't have the time to "dig" into most sites and I believe that's the case with many.

I just don't see the downside of not linking off topic threads to front page. :oops:

Principessa

There are a lot of people who check the front page and than they see immediatly what's new since their last visit. I don't think that if you come on a site for the first time that when you see 1 thing there that you might think is strange you never come back. Coming to a site for the first time means that you will explore everything in the menu, see all there is too see and after that they make up their mind. That's my opinion.

ketanpaul

Well I think a compromise can be reached by having the 5 latest threads of all the categories on the front page in column form. That might take up space but its worth trying

manchild

Perhaps off topic latest post could be extracted from appearing on front page together with other latest posts?

Steven
Owner

Principessa wrote:Coming to a site for the first time means that you will explore everything in the menu, see all there is too see and after that they make up their mind. That's my opinion.
Actually, hardly anyone does that. New visitors are attracted by their first impression and may go away if that isn't to their liking.

Not sure about excluding off topic chat from the list, it might be a good idea but I'd like to hear some more opinions about this ;)

flynfrog

I like all threads on the front page it takes to much time to check all the fourms

NickT

Have a simple solution :shock:

Keep everything as it is, becuase many of us know like it that way, but catogrise the latest posts under their respective catogries.

Aero

Mech

Off T
NickT

joseff

Well actually, considering how many of us visit F1technical just for the forum, I agree with NickT: maybe it deserves a bit more real estate on the main page.

pRo

joseff wrote:F1technical just for the forum
What? You mean there's more than the forum here? :lol:

vyselegend

I think it's good the way it is now. I really fail to understand what piss some peoples in seeing topics they aren't interested in :?

I dislike footbal for example, but never was anoyed by the thread for the world cup. I just avoided clicking on it and interfere with a discussion that didn't concern me.

It is IMO very intolerant from those members to complain about seeing the name of a topic in which they don't feel interested! It's not like you're forced to read it!

I wouldn't be aware of Steve Irwin's death, hadn't Manchild post the news in the off topic chat. (french medias hardly wrote something about this two days latter...). So I thank him and all other members who take the time to share their informations with fellow members, be it F1 related or not. That's the "raison d'être" of the Off-topic chat section. :wink:

pRo

vyselegend wrote:I really fail to understand what piss some peoples in seeing topics they aren't interested in :?
I wouldn't use the word piss, at least not for myself.

I dislike footbal for example, but never was anoyed by the thread for the world cup. I just avoided clicking on it and interfere with a discussion that didn't concern me.
What if everyone over here was a really enthusiastic football fan and the Off-Topic got very crowded with football related subjects? There could easily be 20 active topics and they would probably attract more football fans over here (who have no interest in F1) after some topics get linked on another football sites. All the links to the latest topics on the front page would just point to latest football threads and none to F1 threads.

Yes, you could still just avoid clicking on them, but would you still think it's just fine for a F1 site? I know that's a far fetched example and might never happen, though who knows about those crazy football fans :lol:, but just interested in your view of that.

It is IMO very intolerant from those members to complain about seeing the name of a topic in which they don't feel interested! It's not like you're forced to read it!
Again, please don't take my posts as complaints. They aren't. They were just a suggestion to something better. In my opinion. And in some others too it seems. Suggestions and open talk doesn't equal complain.

I wouldn't be aware of Steve Irwin's death
That reminds me, I better post the results of icelandic strawberry picking contest later today, cause you probably won't see them elsewhere. ;)

vyselegend

First of all, sorry for this late answear, I was off for a week.

It is possible that I misundestand the weight of an english word sometimes, and it was confirmed to me by an english-speaking friend that the expression "to piss off" is quite familiar and vulgary, even used in the figurative way. Then, sorry for that also.

The point which made me react was that I felt some insistance with this matter, even after our webmaster made it clear it was not going to be discussed endlessly. That lead me to wonder about what was so aggrivating with that. Anyway, for this same reason I don't feel like talking about that again.
pRo wrote:
That reminds me, I better post the results of icelandic strawberry picking contest later today, cause you probably won't see them elsewhere. ;)
Hey, please do so! I thought no one would give me the results, thanks! :P