some design changes?

Everything about this website and its content. Here you will find update announcements or requests for feedback. Questions about layout, functionality, content, and your suggestions are welcome.
Steven
Owner

some design changes?

Hi all,
as with the new things that have come up recently and those that are still to come, the site needs a bit of a design update to fit it all in.

If you read this, please take a minute to reply and answer the following questions for me:

- Would you mind if the loginbox would be replaced a "login" and "register" link? (For logged in users, nothing really changes)
- Have you passed by any site you like a lot? Let me know the url, I'll check so that I can see what's important to you
- Did you ever use the bookmark and recommend icons that are visible in the dark-grey navigation bar?
- Does anything in particular bother you?
- Other suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Jagboy
Jagboy

So far, I really like the site. Maybe a few more subforums, but other than that it's set up pretty well. http://www.ultimaterc.com is a very well run forum that I enjoy going to since you asked for a link.

JB

Ted68

I checked out that Ultimaterc link after reading this, and I feel that like alot of newer sites it has too much on the page for a cluttered look. The look of your site, Tomba, is just fine.

I actually never noticed the bookmark icons before. Also, I personally dislike links for login. But it definitely wouldn't keep me away should you choose that.

What really makes or breaks a site is it's administrators mangement abilities and attention. You and Principessa are second to none.

Cheers!

pRo

Re: some design changes?

Tomba wrote:- Would you mind if the loginbox would be replaced a "login" and "register" link?
No, not at all.

- Did you ever use the bookmark and recommend icons that are visible in the dark-grey navigation bar?
No, never even noticed them before you asked.

- Does anything in particular bother you?
- Other suggestions?
Now that you asked. Would it be possible to NOT see that sidemenu all the time, when browsing the forum? I do realize some have huge screens these days, but 1024x laptops aren't too rare either, at least over here. It only leaves some two thirds for the forum messages. :?

(not a BIG deal, but would be nice)
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

Ciro Pabón

About the login box: do you mean replacing it with a couple of links (login/register) on the dark gray menu bar? I actually like the box, with its info on last visit, the messages waiting, and the logout.

I've noticed the favorites/recommend icons: I do not use them, only because I recommend the site "in person" at every forum I frequent (not many) and the site has been for ages in my bookmark lists, but maybe replacing the star by a "Add to favorites" text could make it more prominent.

I like pitpass.com layout: it "hides" the ads a little embedding them on the top bar and using the extreme left of the screen for them. I do not know how you support the site financially speaking, but I would take any ad if this allows you to make the site more viable. FYI, your site's worth is not that bad in the "How much your site is worth" site (what a tongue-twister! :) ). Let me tell you I hate Google ads, btw, but, hey, anything goes.

I guess you probably love the F1Technical logo, and it is simple and compact to load, but maybe a little flashier, more "technical" logo would be nice.

I also like pitpass.com "features". I believe that the success of this site is based on the "stars" that write for them (Stoddard, Collins). I've always wondered if Principessa could convince some technical heads (or tails :) ) at the teams to write for you.

This would increment the seriousness of the "tech talk" a lot, so this is a suggestion: invite engineers of the teams (probably ex-F1 engineers, other series engineers, or, ideally, university professors to avoid conflict about secrecy) to write about the technical developments.

The style you have for the articles on the "Technology" side bar would be great: no comments on the conflicting developments, but on the more tranquil side of cars engineering. This is a hard to accomplish proposition, but I believe it could be a "revolutionary one": trying to "feature" a person with real knowledge, as opposed to the more "aficionado" approach of the forum members. I am a civil engineer and a systems engineer, and I am surprised at the shortcomings of some mechanical engineering students around, but maybe I am not understanding them. I wonder if some members could try to convince their professors and I am sure that some of the older members are about to graduate or already have (Reca and Monstrobolaxa come to my mind) and maybe want to write something under their real names.

Some people might know me as the "track advocate": I would add an "all tracks ever" link to the "History" sidebar, but (ehem...) there was no response at all when I suggested making a "sticky" of my (double ehem...) list of world tracks, so I guess not much people is interested.

The last time I posted a renovation to that list in this site there was just one post, so I guess most of you are "fed up" with this particular interest. I believe I am one of the few that keep the Wikipedia list on F1 tracks (well, "few" are three persons) and that proactively write there about the history of these places of "human effort". I guess nobody wrote about the Roman circus, but about the gladiators, until too late! :lol: What makes me wonder is that every time I post additions to the "list of World Tracks" in other forums, the answer is overwhelming! Last time I did it, my humble geocities site was swamped, but I received three visitors from this forum (out of 1.500 hits in one day). I suppose here we are centered on the cars.

I am right now doing the quixotic task of transcribing every track to FIA specifications for circuit drawing (PDF warning! 1 Mb), and I offer this work to the site, if you are interested. I'll finish that in the "winter pause". Every time I've posted technical drawings of circuits here, people show me a gif file of the circuit and says it is the same... :roll: For me, it is like comparing a SolidWorks drawing of a car with a picture of it, but "every road has its way"...

What is annoying me about the site right now, is the superabundance of "comments on other people's comments" instead of technical posts, that I believe is the main reason of this site, but I guess there is nothing you can do about it. I am a little surprised about some posts, but I guess some of you have also misinterpreted my particular sense of humor, and probably this is my case now. Besides, I do not want any heavy censure here: it scares people away and make you look as "pro-something".

Thanks again Tomba, for showing interest in our opinions about the site.

Oh, I almost forgot: I wonder if a direct link on the main layout to the "Board style" of the "Profile" would be cool. This would make you able to change the look of the board on the fly and maybe this is a way to make room for small screens: perhaps one of the CSS could accommodate this particular "request for laptops", eliminating the sidebar (?). I wonder if somebody uses the "Jump to: Select a forum" box, so there could be a space for it.
Ciro

Saribro
Saribro

I feel the pictures on the news block are a little too large, right now, only the 2 latest messages fit on there before being relegated to the sidelines. I think a small decrease to the same height as the 4 line synopsis should be about right and allow at least 3 messages on there. (or is it just my resolution ?)
I'm still considering some thoughts on the visibility on the devblog, I'll let you know :).

Steven
Owner

First of all thanks for the remarks so far, but please, everyone have your say!!
Now let me tell you why I think some changes are needed. The home page actually would need a bit of extra information, as the development blog is not well enough exposed to my liking. Also, if the gallery comes online (that is with pics about cars, not really from the every GP) that might also require its own place.

As for the login box, I was thinking to have the information there, but the login form replaced by a link to the login page. I just think it might be a bit disturbing for visitors who don't want to login at the moment.

The "fav" and "recommend" will probably go, I might use that space for something else and I already though no one really cared ;) It's normal, as when I bookmark something I also never use a link on a site.
Jagboy wrote:So far, I really like the site. Maybe a few more subforums, but other than that it's set up pretty well.
Subforums are so far not possible with phpBB2, but version 3 is due to come out in the coming months, and we'll have a look then. I must admit though that I have been wondering for a longer time to somehow include "automotive technology" forum for stuff that does not have to do with any racing category.
Another possibility is a section for user projects. While that now gets posted in the technical forums, it might be good to seperate that from the formula one stuff.

Now let yourself go, I'll get back to inform you a bit more about my ideas ;)

manchild
manchild

Re: some design changes?

pRo wrote:Now that you asked. Would it be possible to NOT see that sidemenu all the time, when browsing the forum? I do realize some have huge screens these days, but 1024x laptops aren't too rare either, at least over here. It only leaves some two thirds for the forum messages. :?
That only happens if your browser isn't set on default settings (at least it is so in IE). I'm in 1024x768 too - default settings (default size of buttons in IE, screen resolution on default 96 dpi just like the fonts and icons).

If you're on IE, just reset diplay properties to default as well as IE appearance and you'll have no problem.

Tom

What would be good would be a pictures page where members could post their own pics rather than have pages of pics which take ages to load. So instead of posting lots of pics just post a link to an area of the site where they are all saved?
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Tom

I should probably clarify my idea here, sorry, I was in a hurray before.

Rather than have people post a list of pics which take ages to load perhaps each member should have their own gallery and just provide a link. I really should think it through more but you can take from it what you like.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Steven
Owner

@tom: True that may be an option Tom, however I would first need to find a sponsor again to cover hosting and the extra hosting costs that the gallery may require.

@Ciro: Obviously we do this site for you all, so you're quite important. Althoug, while there are quite some people registered on this forum, it sometimes is a bit dissappointing that only few members reply on my requests for feedback.

And in general, work on the page header is done, footer is done, new organisation done too, but I'm still struggling arranging stuff on the homepage :(

Sawtooth-spike

if you could make a ALT front page that i could look at at work that would be great :D

i can post as much now as i used too, cus my new job wont let me do..... well nothing like my old job did.

What would be cool is some more stuff on the tracks.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!