Vortex Generators

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Karamal Kid
Karamal Kid

Vortex Generators

Hi everybody,
I recently asked about Air Jet Vortex Generators on F1 rear wings and I was just wondering if anybody had any information of the fixed vortex generators they may use and what is allowed?

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

Sorry don't have anytihng about that.....but will look for some information conserning that......I'm a student of Aeronautical Engineering and might have something in Car Aerodynamics books....will post backl later

NickT

Are these the cutouts in the rear wing endplate?
NickT

scarbs
scarbs

To my knowledge no F1 rear wings use obvious vortex generators, if I understand that term correctly, IIRC Vortex generators are the small angled pieces (sharks tooth) fixed to the flaps surface. Vortex generators are often used on the trailing edges of the flaps, such as the saw tooth serrated gurneys and the smaller pointed gurneys on front wings often at the change in (in plan view) profile on the trailing edge of the FW flap.

NickT

If you go to the "My first post: MP4/17 vs MP4/18" in the general F1 forum you can see the cutouts in the rear wing endplates, just ahead of the rear element. They are quite clear on the first picture and you can just make them out in some of the other pictures to.

One of the other forums regarding CFD talked about them and suggested that they me be a vortex control/generator device used to minimise drag from the rear wing vortexs. I initially thought that the cutouts might benifit rear wing performance in yaw when turning
NickT

SKRAT
SKRAT

Vortex generators

I could also guess from the CFD analysis of the front wing that the upper protrusion (tab) from the endplate is also a vortex generator. Note how it is not straight neat the terminus on the wheel end, but rather curves back into the end plate, forming a nice surface for trailing vortices to form and spill off of. As for regs, my thinking is that is has to fall in the front wing "box" and meet the load considerations. Most endplates seem to have these tabs, although I think Jordan eschewed their use until only recently.

Just my guess,
Paul C

Mclaren11
Mclaren11

I dont Know about vortex generators on the tail but teams used them in the 2002 season on the air intake over the drivers head, but those where banned.
There are more than 40 lego's for every person on the planet.

Actually the so called “horns” under the airbox weren’t vortex generators but just a fake extension to satisfy the minimum required width of the airbox and FIA don’t banned them, they simply removed the minimum width requirement in that area making the “horns” unnecessary. The simple fact that the teams removed them (especially considering cars with an area around the driver’s head basically unchanged compared with last year models, i.e. McLaren and Ferrari) is the demonstration that the only purpose was to satisfy the minimum width.