D1GP (Drifting)

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...

Is Drifting racing?

A form of Entertainment
80%
A form of Racing
20%

Total votes: 25

taleed

D1GP (Drifting)

Tire shredding, sideways sliding, rubber annihilating, heart-pounding action is what D1GP is all about. But is Drifting racing? (Explain why you think so if you want).
There is a place for those who dare to dream

Spyker MF1

I believe its just entertainment as there trying to go as sideways as possible not going as fast as you can to beat your opponent

pRo

Re: D1GP (Drifting)

taleed wrote:But is Drifting racing? (Explain why you think so if you want).
Is figure skating sports?

Drifting is a competition. What matters is the show you put on, not the fastest time. So no, it's not really racing, but definitely a competition. To me racing has everything to do with being fastest and not prettiest.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

zac510
zac510

taleed wrote:Tire shredding, sideways sliding, rubber annihilating, heart-pounding action is what D1GP is all about.
I disagree. Drifting is about image and showing off.

flynfrog

zac510 wrote:
taleed wrote:Tire shredding, sideways sliding, rubber annihilating, heart-pounding action is what D1GP is all about.
I disagree. Drifting is about image and showing off.
i agree its ussaly guys who cant drive well enough to race

West
West

The results of drifting are subjective.

In SoCal it's the biggest thing... and I hate it. There are 12 year olds who think they can drift once they get their license, and they think it's going to win them races. Once they watch Initial D they all want to get an AE86 thinking it's the fastest car out there

My friend's friend, who I believe autocrosses or go-karts, said all he was doing was countersteering the whole time, when he tried it.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Sawtooth-spike

i thought it was a example of how to go around a corner slowly.

its got some skill to it, but its not racing, its like doing donuts.
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

taleed

(Note: The Fast and The Furious-Tokyo Drift is out for those who are interested in driving games).

...continue...

pRo

flynfrog wrote:i agree its ussaly guys who cant drive well enough to race
Ever tried it?

I have and I claim it's easier to drive fast in control than drift. Please do try it, if you believe it's easier than racing. I don't have a hat, but I promise to buy one and take it off for you, if you can drift through a given track with say one months training. Then you can continue on your own time and see if you can do it for two hours in a row. Then you can call it easy and I won't argue. ;)

And just for the record, turning the car sideways in a corner isn't drifting. Real drifting is when you're sideways way before the corner, during the corner and after the corner and the following straight and the next corner too while you're at it.

Calling someone who can spin the rears a drifter is like calling someone accelerating from traffic lights a racer. Please don't confuse the wannabies with people who actually can and do.

Yes, there are also people who try, but just can't. Doesn't make the ones who can any worse. Everyone isn't Alonso either, but it doesn't make him any worse, nor should you claim that anyone who can't drift goes into racing. :roll:
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you

vis

Drifting is the best, F1 should learn a lot from drift racing, in terms of show and entertainment! What about removing the rear wing?

taleed

Drifting has an interesting style of driving and i'm not sure some of you really know what your talking about...D1GP drivers entry speeds into a corner is roughly 90+mph so spoilers are much needed.

G-Rock
G-Rock

Drifting is stupid. It's for people who don't have the guts to race and for 30 year old suburb men who live with their mothers.
A real drift is when a race driver is driving over his limit to make a fast time, not to show off and collect points. Or in rallying, to set the car up (defensively) for a corner that the driver has never seen before.
--------------------------------------------------------

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

There are many very skilled drivers in the "drifting" world, and what they do is awesome. But drifting isn't about going from point "A" to point "B" the quickest. Just like figure skating, it's how you look.
There are much more poseurs than racers out there, and the harsh reality of racing is that if your mouth can't match your ability, the stopwatch makes a fool of you. But there really aren't stopwatches in drifting.
The reality and science of racing is that once you pitch the car sideways, you're no longer going as fast as the car can deliver.

flynfrog

taleed wrote:Drifting has an interesting style of driving and i'm not sure some of you really know what your talking about...D1GP drivers entry speeds into a corner is roughly 90+mph so spoilers are much needed.
how do you plan on that spoller working when the car is sideways

taleed

spoller?
...logically those specially designed big spoilers help with downforce around corners for extra traction. But from all the drift cars that i've seen only one drift car at an international level didn't have spoilers and that is one thing that is confusing me. Can someone take a minute of their time to explain this?