Educational level of F1 drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
manchild
manchild

Educational level of F1 drivers

Why is this almost always kept away from driver's biography? I can't remember reading about it.

I know there were highly educated drivers like Doctor Jonathan Palmer for example and than recently I've read that Fisichella left school when he was 14. :shock:

I mean no bashing with this thread but it would be interesting to know how educated F1 drivers are today in a sense of all those kids who start karting career in their pre-school age and push to F1 during their childhood and teenage days.

In the old days, some 20 years ago F1 drivers were usually considered as individuals who speak several languages, play some musical instrument or have some other talent, generally as cosmopolitan and open minded and I dare to say "knights". What is the situation today?

Fill list as you come up with data :wink:

Fernando Alonso
Kimi Raikonnen
Felipe Massa
Heikki Kovalainen
Jenson Button
Giancarlo Fisichella
Lewis Hamilton
Rubens Barrichello
Nick Heidfeld
Robert Kubica
R Schumacher
Jarno Trulli
David Coulthard
Mark Webber
Nico Rosberg
Alexander Wurz
Christijan Albers
Anthony Davidson
Takuma Sato
Scott Speed
Vitantonio Liuzzi
Adrian Sutil

zenvision

I am not surprised that they leave that early from school. Read many times about drivers living abroad when they are of a relative young age like Fisico. If I remember well Kubica said he went to live in Italy in an interview with F1 Racing.
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build good engines" Enzo Ferrari

Tom

I think Zanardi left school at 16 to go to a tech colledge, where I believe he dropped out.

Rally driver, but same game, Colin McRae left school at 16 to get an aprenticeship as a plumber, working for his father (and British Rally Champion) Jimmy McRae. He's a fully qualified plumbing and heating engineer which is reassuring for his co-driver when the radiator pops.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Ranald
Ranald

From what I have read Nico Rosberg is infact quite well educated. Aswell as speaking German, English, Italian and French (only a little Finnish) I believe he also studied engineering at School/College in Germany. Aparently he was offered a place at Imperial College, London to study aerodynamics. Obviously the age of F1 drivers really procludes them from persuing a University career.
"I was having a ---" - Kimi Riakkonens response to Martin Brundles questioning of why he had missed Peles presentation to Michael Schumacher before the Brazilian GP 2006.

manchild
manchild

Sir Frank Williams quit school at age of 16 too so if there's excuse to quit school that age he is a perfect role model. :wink:

PNSD
PNSD

I know Alex Wurz is clever and very well technically minded.

Personally, he would imediatly be my number one test driver choice and number 2 driver. No hesitation.

Mika was clever apparently.

Ermm anyone know of Tom Chilton, was in BTCC? He is doing a mech eng degree.

kurtiejjj
kurtiejjj

I believe Robert doornbos has finished high school (or how is a bachelor bussiness degree called in the UK?) because his father wouldn't allow him to race.

Phoenix

kurtiejjj wrote:I believe Robert doornbos has finished high school (or how is a bachelor bussiness degree called in the UK?) because his father wouldn't allow him to race.
That is what my father has said to me. I cannot race until I graduate college, which I respect because he wants me to focus on my degree. Not that I can anyways :lol:

pompelmo
pompelmo

shummy...a welder

Principessa

I believe that Robert Kubica had a home tutor when he moved to Italy when he was 13.

pyry
pyry

häkkinen is a mecanic. i believe kimi was halfway through his mechanics training but quite it. he is a corporal btw
four rings to rule them all

SLC
SLC

Ranald wrote:Aparently he was offered a place at Imperial College, London to study aerodynamics. Obviously the age of F1 drivers really procludes them from persuing a University career.
Shame, his time at Imperial would have overlapped with mine!

SLC
SLC

pyry wrote:häkkinen is a mecanic. i believe kimi was halfway through his mechanics training but quite it. he is a corporal btw
Finland still has national service, so all men his age have a year's military experience.

f1.redbaron

I know that he is not on your list, but Marc Gene has a degree in Economics

_mark
_mark

Ranald wrote:From what I have read Nico Rosberg is infact quite well educated. Aswell as speaking German, English, Italian and French (only a little Finnish) I believe he also studied engineering at School/College in Germany. Aparently he was offered a place at Imperial College, London to study aerodynamics. Obviously the age of F1 drivers really procludes them from persuing a University career.
It depends from many factors. First of all: what you intend for an engineer? Till few years ago, becoming an engineer in italy was very hard: only best students and before 25-26 years a very, very rare case. So the degree was equivalent to a PhD of other countries.
In some nation engineer can be called also a simple mechanic, in others engineer is something with a culture near that of a scientist.
A sign that the times are changing very quickly is that montezemolo received a phd in physics when he probably don't know what F=ma means...