Educational level of F1 drivers

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
sebbe
sebbe

Ron Dennis also left school around 16 or so... We have two strong role models, Sir Frank and Sir Ron :D

To be an engineer you need to study at an University. As simple as that. I don't care about "honoris causa" or other kind of recognition.
Don't get me wrong, uncle Frank and uncle Ron know a lot about F1, and it is because they've been around for ages; they might deserve an honorific degree. But there are other people that gets them for other reasons (I'm talking about the "lamb") and it doesn't mean they deserve the title.
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

Sawtooth-spike

HRH The Duke of Kent, Chancellor of the University of Surrey is to confer the honorary degree of Doctor of the University upon Ron Dennis, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of the TAG McLaren Group
I know its almost off topic but as somebody said it i remembered most famous people get an honorary degree from somewhere or another.

Even those who clearly should not get them
Max Mosley received an Honorary Doctorate of Civil Law alongside students from the School of Design and the School of Informatics, Engineering and Technology at Northumbria University
:lol:
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

flynfrog

sebbe wrote:Ron Dennis also left school around 16 or so... We have two strong role models, Sir Frank and Sir Ron :D

To be an engineer you need to study at an University. As simple as that. I don't care about "honoris causa" or other kind of recognition.
Don't get me wrong, uncle Frank and uncle Ron know a lot about F1, and it is because they've been around for ages; they might deserve an honorific degree. But there are other people that gets them for other reasons (I'm talking about the "lamb") and it doesn't mean they deserve the title.
yet next to Ron Dennis your title of engineer dosent mean much now does it?

sebbe
sebbe

Well, I call myself "Doctor Love", so I'm a doc too :lol:

Seriously, Ron Dennis, doctor in what?
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

manchild
manchild

sebbe wrote:Well, I call myself "Doctor Love", so I'm a doc too :lol:
sebbe wrote: Seriously, Ron Dennis, doctor in what?
Doctor in Marine corps hairdressing :lol:

pyry
pyry

SLC wrote:
pyry wrote:häkkinen is a mecanic. i believe kimi was halfway through his mechanics training but quite it. he is a corporal btw
Finland still has national service, so all men his age have a year's military experience.
being finnish my knowledge is better on the subject. actually the options are prison for 3 months, civilian service 13 months, or the army, where the lenght varies 6months, 9 months or 12 months. the good or willing are chosen to be a year and they become corporals, Sergeants or 2nd Lieutenants. i am a private
four rings to rule them all

sebbe
sebbe

Came on Manchild!, my tooth are in line!

mep

I believe he also studied engineering at School/College in Germany.
I don't believe this.
I think he is to young to be able to studi or to finish studi.

f1.redbaron

mep wrote:
I believe he also studied engineering at School/College in Germany.
I don't believe this.
I think he is to young to be able to studi or to finish studi.
you're right, he didn't. He had the option of getting into engineering, but he chose racing.

Scuderia_Russ

Ranald wrote:From what I have read Nico Rosberg is infact quite well educated. Aswell as speaking German, English, Italian and French (only a little Finnish) I believe he also studied engineering at School/College in Germany. Aparently he was offered a place at Imperial College, London to study aerodynamics. Obviously the age of F1 drivers really procludes them from persuing a University career.
That's right. As I understand it all Williams drivers are put through an engineering based exam during driver selection and he scored one of if not the highest score of anyone that took the test from what I read.
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-