The Maximum

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet
Giblet

The Maximum

This is my first new topic, so hi everyone. Good to find this site and some people who understand my obsessiveness to this circus we call F1.

Is it just me or do Fisi and Hek both say "the maximum" in every sentence they are quoted?

I noticed Alonso saying it all last year, and it appears both Renault drivers have clung on to it.

These days of canned quotes makes me miss J.V. and his mouth.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Welcome to F1Technical, I'm sure you'll enjoy being a member, as we are all pretty much obsessed with F1 as well.

(Just a guess, you are a Renault fan?) 8)

-Mx_tifosi
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Welcome Giblet, glad to meet you. Yup, it's been medically proven, I'm addicted to Formula One. It's worse than heroin and tobacco combined. Can't beat the habit, I lay awake at night with the sweats, my mind uncontrolled with visions of cars blasting by. It dictates my personal life, it has forced me to spend money on TV and incindentals, and when the race is on, nothing, but nothing stands between me and the action. Hooked for life. :wink:
The term "Maximum Attack" and it's roots are in the lexicon of the World Rally Championship drivers from the 1980s. After each day of rally the television reporters would interview the drivers to get their comments on the days rallying and perhaps some insight on their strategy for the next day. Often times a driver had to make up time on another driver or defend a lead which would require driving at 100% of a driver's ability, hurtling their cars as fast as they possibly could over the rocks, jumps, and through hairpin corners as they were cheered on by throngs of wild rally fans on the sides of the roads.. In this case when asked by the press how they would be proceeding the next day the answer, which foretold of maximum speed, flirting with risk, and an absolutely fearless attitude for the next day, was simply Maximum Attack.
I'm sure almost all Finns are used to this saying, there are many in Rally and F1. Including Heikki.

Interesting fact about Heikki, that after his karting career he has used Renault engines in all series he has competed in. Notwithstanding the Race of Champions.

ds.raikkonen

Re: The Maximum

Giblet wrote:Is it just me or do Fisi and Hek both say "the maximum" in every sentence they are quoted?
Hi Giblet! Well.....they have nt been able to take anything to the 'maximum' in 2007 yet. :wink: .or have they.Flav is not happy with Fisi esp..coz he gave away his position to the relatively 'slower' Trulli in Bahrain..and then cud nt get past him.He himself oredred Fisi to get past Trulli in the closing stages...
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

dumrick
dumrick

Since Raikkonen distracts me just counting how many times he says "I thing so" in every press conference, I cannot really listen to what he says beside that.

The bloody guy even when asked "How was your race?", starts the answer with "I think so..."

OT: I believe you can relate the use of particular expressions in english by non-native speakers to their native language. I can identify a German or a Portuguese or a French speaking english, not only by accent, but for their choice of expressions that exist in their mother thongue and are similar in english. They can all speak perfect english, but their actual phrasing is conditioned, I believe. Maybe it's the case with the word "maximum" in finnish?

TeamFFX
TeamFFX

Another oft-used phrase used by drivers - especially those for who English is not mother tongue, is "for sure".

I think it started with MS, but everyone's been doing it over the past few years - even the ITV commentators have started!

ds.raikkonen

even deciphering what Raikkonen says in the post race session is one helluva task...his voice is eerily monotonous!
“Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that’s what gets you.” - JC

manchild
manchild

Welcome to the forum.

When Fisichella mentions his maximum he's talking about 1/3 of Alonso's maximum :lol:

Tom

I was watching an American series (Indy I think) on what was probably Speed TV. Literally every third word would be accompanied with 'you know' and it got to the point where they said it so many times I really didn't know, you couldn't tell what they were trying to say because they interupted themselves so often, you know?

I recorded it and when my mate came round the next day we sat in front of a blank screen with only the sound on, it was like listening to some friendly drunks arguing.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

Giblet
Giblet

Thanks for the more then warm welcome.

I'm not particularly a Renault fan, I just wanted somebody, anybody to beat the Red.

The team that has the biggest soft spot for me lately has to be BMW Sauber, due to their rapid car development.

1st off it was a class act keeping the Sauber name in a corporate world. Secondly is their ability to try new things (vertical nose wings) and adopt other teams ideas blatantly (viking horns) when useful.

And yeah... no driver gets the maximum from every race, so constantly claiming you have done so makes it obvious you are not.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Giblet wrote: I'm not particularly a Renault fan, I just wanted somebody, anybody to beat the Red.
I am for the RED'S ! :wink:

Ciro Pabón

Giblet wrote:Thanks for the more then warm welcome.

I'm not particularly a Renault fan, I just wanted somebody, anybody to beat the Red.
For third year in a row? Poor guys (not you, mx_tifosi! We respect your persistence... ;)). Anyway, in that case, just learn to say "Olé".
Manchild wrote:When Fisichella mentions his maximum he's talking about 1/3 of Alonso's maximum
:)
Ciro

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Ciro Pabón wrote:
Giblet wrote:Thanks for the more then warm welcome.

For third year in a row? Poor guys (not you, mx_tifosi! We respect your persistence... ;)). Anyway, in that case, just learn to say "Olé".
Well there is a saying, "El que persevera alcanza". To give a rough translation, "He who perseveres reaches his goals"
:wink:

Scuderia Ferrari 2007 WCC

pRo

dumrick wrote:They can all speak perfect english, but their actual phrasing is conditioned, I believe. Maybe it's the case with the word "maximum" in finnish?
Or maybe the maximum comes from a popular rally driver, Markku Alen, who used to say 'maximum attack'. IIRC, Kovalainen has mentioned that he's one of his idols he looks up to.
Formula 1, 57, died Thursday, Sept. 13, 2007
Born May 13, 1950, in Silverstone, United Kingdom
Will be held in the hearts of millions forever
Rest In Peace, we will not forget you