Ferrari brake duct\wheel fairings (silverstone)

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
scarbs
scarbs

Ferrari brake duct\wheel fairings (silverstone)

Silverstone Friday practice. It looks like Ferrari are going to run their static wheel fairings.

Lets get ready fo the protests....

Scarbs...

Note: there is no wheel retention system on the hub, as its attached to the fairirng\wheelnut. The special wheel guns have bene seen in the pit too...

siskue2005

here is the wheel gun....can anyone explain, how it works?

manchild
manchild

The one with large plate is for wheels with CF cover - enabling mechanic to attach it to nut properly and perhaps it blows some compressed air into the rim to cool off discs during pit stop.

Sawtooth-spike

Sorry got way to tempted,
They really should not give me days off!

Ferrari new Cooling system (its really part of the braking system.... Honest!) and new nose ballast (Helps with the problems of following other cars)

I think Scarbs is right i think some teams might say something, but then again nobody did anything about the frezbes on the rear (well other than you manchild who was ready to go to war)
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

dp35
dp35

How are these wheel covers attached?

The only way I can think of is with a small shaft that would have to run through the center of the axle. This would not be possible on the rears.

RJC_pt
RJC_pt

Well they could be fixed to the rim by a bearing and have the side that allways points down with a little balast, that would ensure it doesnt rotate.

Downforce
Downforce

This is the best picture that I was able to find...

manchild
manchild

It there's a weight holding that plate in specific position than it is movable ballast because it is not firmly attached. :wink:
If however it rotates than since it is asymmetrical it works as fan which is also i..... :wink:
Last edited by manchild on 07 Jul 2007, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

manchild
manchild

That front "ducting" is a two part system consisting from inner CF ring glued to rim while rim cover is attached to wheel nut. When replacing tyres rim cover goes off the wheel together with the nut and than gets back on wheel when nut is screwed.

Am I right? Has anyone seen tyre change detail? I guess that rim cover stays still on an additional bearing over the wheel nut while the only mystery remains what keeps rim cover in one position. The logic tells us that it is the weight but could it also be the aero shape from the inside (the thing we don't see?).

checkered

On the official F1

website the resident tech reporter Paolo Filisetti suggests that the 27 degree aperture in the cover directs airflow under the car (or helps direct more air under the car, there's a slight difference and I'm not entirely sure which way it is), increasing downforce. Therefore it has next to nothing to do with the rear tyre rim shields. No word on how it stays stationary, though. Keep your eyes open for the pitstops.

Steven
Owner

manchild wrote:That front "ducting" is a two part system consisting from inner CF ring glued to rim while rim cover is attached to wheel nut. When replacing tyres rim cover goes off the wheel together with the nut and than gets back on wheel when nut is screwed.

Am I right? Has anyone seen tyre change detail? I guess that rim cover stays still on an additional bearing over the wheel nut while the only mystery remains what keeps rim cover in one position. The logic tells us that it is the weight but could it also be the aero shape from the inside (the thing we don't see?).
MC, here's my view on it: http://www.f1technical.net/development/95

I'm pretty convinced we have a combined wheelnut where one part rotates and the other doesn't. I don't think the weight would keep it in place anyway, and relying on it would also be illegal since it would be movable ballast.

rjsa
rjsa

It seems to me that the colored nut connects to wheel/brake cover. The white one seems glued to the cover and should fit deeper into the axle.

See above both nuts aligned. Below they are not. That would be the reason for the really long claws of the gun, taking care of two nuts.

kimi
kimi

this is an indigenious concept 2 cool d red hot carbon fibre disks after heavy breakin.the 27 degree aperture in d lower part of d rim allows d hot air 4m d brakes 2 fly underneath d car and in dat way increasin d aero balance of car.

2 know how it works refer 2 d link below
http://www.f1technical.net/development/95

we still havnt seen its use in live racin.lets wait 4 d british gp 2 catch up wid d pit stop.

Blake
Blake

For anyone wondering why Ferrari’s aero developments around the wheels are considered legal (I know I was when Ferrari introduced the small winglet behind the front brake ducts) then you should read article 11.4 of the technical regulations, as well as article 3.15.
3.15 Aerodynamic Influence
With the exception of the cover described in Article 6.5.2 (when used in the pit lane) and the ducts described in Article 11.4, any specific part of the car influencing its aerodynamic performance:
  • Must comply with the rules relating to bodywork.
  • Must be rigidly secured to the entirely sprung part of the car (rigidly secured means not having any degree of freedom).
  • Must remain immobile in relation to the sprung part of the car.
Any device or construction that is designed to bridge the gap between the sprung part of the car and the ground is prohibited under all circumstances.

No part having an aerodynamic influence and no part of the bodywork, with the exception of the skid block in 3.13 above, may under any circumstances be located below the reference plane.

11.4 Air Ducts
Air ducts around the front and rear brakes shall be considered part of the braking system and shall not protrude beyond:
  • a plane parallel to the ground situated at a distance of 160mm above the horizontal centreline of the wheel;
  • a plane parallel to the ground situated at a distance of 160mm below the horizontal centreline of the wheel;
  • a vertical plane parallel to the inner face of the wheel rim and displaced from it 120mm toward the centreline of the car.
Furthermore, when viewed from the side the ducts must not protrude forwards beyond the periphery of the tyre or backwards beyond the wheel rim.

All measurements will be made with the wheel held in a vertical position.
Thus, anything in the invisible box created by the measurements in article 11.4 are not bound by the regulations in article 3.15 about aerodynamic influence.

This means that (in theory) any aero in that area can:
  • be loosely secured to the sprung part of the car (meaning having ballast at the bottom to hold it in place would be legal, even though I don’t think that’s what they’re doing).
  • move in relation to the sprung part of the car. Legal air brakes, anyone?

Apex
Apex

This has nothing to do with brake cooling or rear downforce.... its all a ploy that MS has implemented so that the Ferrari drivers can rub wheels with out the cars flipping over :lol:
Dont dream it, do it.