Running tracks in opposite direction?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
oz_ferrari
oz_ferrari

Running tracks in opposite direction?

Hi
does anyone know why race circuits are not ever run in reverse?
Almost all tracks I can think of run in a clockwise direction, why not anti clockwise?
Oz

I believe there are a few races that are run counter-clockwise. Brazil for example.

Historically, I think the Europeans preffered to go clockwise while the Americans preferred the opposite. At least, that's what I once heard...

joseff

I think the most obvious reason to not run circuits in reverse direction is because the safety barriers and runoff areas are designed to work in one direction only!

Try playing the reversed tracks on GT3... some tracks are actually better reversed :)

350plus
350plus

I agree with joseff, safety would be very poor, all the warning signs, start lights, track markings, etc. would be facing the wrong direction... The pit lane entrance would also be very strange! Altough, I know that some kart tracks sometimes run races in inverted tracks just to mess up with the pilots who already know the circuit... but a kart is not an f1 car...

oz_ferrari
oz_ferrari

All valid points, I agree,
but consider the money and redesigning that is constantly going on at Grand prix circuits. A sensible approach to this could easily yield a safe circuit in both directions. Consider the hidious changes made at the Hockenheim Ring, how difficult would it have been to make the circuit usable in both directions!

There have been circuits run in reverse in the past. Take Knockhill in Scotland (yes I know hardly a grand prix standard venue), but it was able to run in reverse in the past.

The newer circuits that are being developed at the moment could also include a sensible layout which would facilitate running both directions. In effect you would have two circuits for the price of one.
p.s. Joseff I also agree, Trial Mountain is far superior in reverse in GT, my favourite... :D Oz..

rodders
rodders

Yep I would think the safety aspect would be enough reason NOT to run the tracks reversed, However I race in 1/5th R/C model cars and we often Reverse the race direction.... sure sorts out the real drivers I can tell you

garf
garf

okay, so... does anyone know why the traditions are the way they are? i mean the clockwise vs. anti-clockwise thing...

...and hello from estonia! :D

350plus
350plus

The anticlockwise racing (mainly used in oval racing and some rare road courses) comes perhaps from the track cycling races which are run anticlockwise, as well as horse racing. These races appeared in the 19th century or even before, so they were here before motorsports arrrived. As for most of the F1 tracks being clockwise... I really don't have an explanation, maybe the first sucesseful tracks(le mans, monaco etc...) were clockwise and those who built the others followed the trend)

rodders
rodders

this is a good question and I guess does make one think a bit about the track direction..

Here in Australia, going from memory now, we do have a mix of direction of race tracks, and I guess this would pose some sort of problems in the handling/ fuel department of a race car. i.e. Bathurst is anti clockwise, Sandown same, Melbourne GP clockwise etc etc

Re: Running tracks in opposite direction?

oz_ferrari wrote:Hi
does anyone know why race circuits are not ever run in reverse?
Almost all tracks I can think of run in a clockwise direction, why not anti clockwise?
Oz
"Well I can try and find out for you,My names malissa and if u want to get in contact with me my email adress is Alig2468@hotmail.com. :twisted:

bernard
bernard

My guess on the clockwise thing is that the driver seat is on different side of the car in America and in England. So Americans built their tracks anticlockwise and english the other way around. :wink:

the tracks are built taking in mind which direction theyll be run, the corners are made that way, and the overtaking places. if you reverse it its all a mess, it just doesnt work.

sharkie17

guest wrote:the tracks are built taking in mind which direction theyll be run, the corners are made that way, and the overtaking places. if you reverse it its all a mess, it just doesnt work.
lol... the question is why the tracks are ran the way it is, not if it should be done the opposite way.

In drit bike they run track with both direction.
And 350plus's idea sounds logical

oz_ferrari
oz_ferrari

Coming back to the original question, i have found that the Knockhill circuit in Scotland is running track days in the reverse direction, and i think it may have been raced this way sometime in the past. So it would seem there is no specific reason not to. I think some tracks would be unsafe in the wrong direction ie Spa... eau rouge would be totally nuts in reverse! but i think others could work. Glad to see this thread is still alive.. Oz