McLaren MP4-23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
meves
meves

Re: New McLaren MP4-23

They already have a new front wing on for the testing and is the bodywork around the rear wheels different too?

waynes
waynes

meves wrote:They already have a new front wing on for the testing and is the bodywork around the rear wheels different too?
certainly looks that way

megz

HAMILTON GIVES SECRETS AWAY

This taken from an Exclusive Interview on formula1.com

Q: What level of input do you feel you have had into the new car?
LH: I think it is the same as all of us in the team. For me having driven last year’s car and coming to this season’s car it means giving correct feedback and doing as much mileage as possible and driving the development in the right direction - and steering the team in the right direction. It’s a big responsibility on all of us drivers, but I am quite relaxed about it. Heikki’s contribution is a bit different as he comes from another team and so he brings information and experience from another team on how they go about things there.

Errrrr sorry, what Mr. Hamilton... not MORE spying [-X [-o<

Haha :lol: I doubt it's like that :P

checkered

Before Hamilton's

interview, Kovy had this to say:
formula1.com, interviewing Kovy wrote:Q: So, what secrets have you brought with you from Renault to McLaren?

Heikki Kovalainen: That’s not a funny question. That is a very serious matter as we have seen last season. And honestly, with the competitiveness of McLaren-Mercedes I can assure you that they don’t need any secrets divulged from me.
Besides, I doubt Kovy can bring much in the way of Renault "information and experience" beyond what Alonso brought earlier already ... as Kovy alludes, the R27 wasn't exactly a benchmark design.

#-o

waynes
waynes

im sure Kovy had plenty to say to Mclaren today after his first drive, "the renault did this, did that" etc etc

Kovy is being political and it never suits the Finns, look at kimi

his theme tune is "shut up and drive" by rhianna :mrgreen:

Rob W

checkered wrote:
formula1.com, interviewing Kovy wrote:Q: So, what secrets have you brought with you from Renault to McLaren?

Heikki Kovalainen: That’s not a funny question. That is a very serious matter as we have seen last season. And honestly, with the competitiveness of McLaren-Mercedes I can assure you that they don’t need any secrets divulged from me.
Classic. =D>

scarbs
scarbs

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Awesome thanks... I thought they banned cameras from the launch!? :wink:
Last edited by ben_watkins on 10 Jan 2008, 17:51, edited 2 times in total.
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

checkered

Scarbs, much appreciated. I can

hardly get any work done for all the launches and the generosity of forum members with up to date information.

modbaraban
modbaraban

checkered wrote:Scarbs, much appreciated. I can

hardly get any work done for all the launches and the generosity of forum members with up to date information.
Same here! :shock:

mep

On this picture it looks like there is a second opening under the airbox openig.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scarbsf1/2 ... 680642928/

Does it only look so strange or is it real?
I doubt the air is going into the engine because of the regulations so
the only reason would be cooling.

I have heard that intake holes should be on a place with a high pressure
but I could imagine that behind the helmet is rather a place with turbulent flow and low pressure.
So this opening would be inefficient.

scarbs
scarbs

No its not an opening as such. The roll hoop is basically the very back of the monocoque, the four (two each side) supports you see are added on later. The rear more curved support lets air exit around the roll structure. The part of the monocoque these supports cover was unpaitned carbon fibre. There wasn’t an opening in this part of the structure

checkered

Not much between

Hammy and Kovy in the Jerez tests; 1:19.691 - 1:19.752 with quite an impressive number of laps driven, too. Those times are over a second slower than what the old cars did before Christmas, of course, but I think someone noted that the MP4-23 has been faster than its predecessor in its debut anyway.

FLC
FLC

I know it's almost pointless to compare test times of two different drivers, even if they drive the same car, as they might be on completely different programs, but nevertheless I'm pretty impressed with what seems to be a steep learning curve from Kovalainen.
In the first test with DLR he was almost a full second slower, 0.904s to be exact. The next one with LH he was 0.330s slower and in the last one, again with LH, only 0.061s separated the two.

I hope he can keep up that pace and give LH some trouble next season...

Also, I think the times are very good actually. The 1:18's from Vettel and others in December were made using slicks and 2007 aero levels, or am I wrong?

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Saribro wrote: - some work around the snorkle with different pillars and some guidevanes.
Heres a good pic of this new feature.
The new MP4-23 has a really neat rear end compared to other cars, at least for the time being. Usually cars that have been barely launched have a pretty sketchy rear end, such as the new RB4.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.