McLaren MP4-23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Sawtooth-spike

Re: New McLaren MP4-23

Front Wheel Rims for the Mclarrens
I believe in the chain of command, Its the chain I use to beat you till you do what i want!!!

manchild
manchild

looks like some strange material

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

interesting that they have the port facing forwards against the flow of air, where all other wheel rims vent rearwards, with the flow of air.. wonder why?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

axle
axle

Could it be to intake rather than exhaust...ie push air through from outside to inside and then use the exit air to work on another aero piece?
- Axle

manchild
manchild

Position of outlet is different because Mclaren has calipers on different place relative to Ferrari for example. These apertures follow the position of callipers.

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

i see, that makes sense.. however what i don't get still is that the hot airflow from the brakes, on the Ferrari at least, is used to help with rear downforce, utilising the hot brake air under the car.. the McLaren solution looks like it may not benefit as much from that effect, but perhaps they don't need to?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

scarbs
scarbs

The Mac shields are different from other teams, as the fairing has its outlet and ducting moulded into one piece. The opening is definitely an outlet. as the trailing edge of the opening has ramp extending inside the wheel, this routes the flow out in a spiral starting at the brake calliper going in the direction of the wheels rotation. rather like the Inner walls of a snail shell.
Its just a different way of doign the same thing as Ferrari and BMW. Toyota, Williams and Renault have largely copied the Ferrari philosophy.

Benniau

ummm.... is this some sort of religious thing going on for Mclaren??

Look at the area above the air intake where the camera and transmitter are....

Spencifer_Murphy

I always assumed the very large looking camera incorporated a pitot tube, the point being to locate the pitot tube up high to avoid any effects made to the measurements by the aerodynamic surfaces of the car.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

manchild wrote:looks like some strange material

Why is the bargeboard black? Wasn't like that at the launch was it?

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

Must be a test part that they've not painted yet?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

MrT
MrT

Mclaren showing some pace today?? Hekki 6 tenths clear of everyone else.... some revived hope my end... Mclaren are certainly cranking up the laps with an average of 100 laps per day per car....

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

MrT wrote:... Mclaren are certainly cranking up the laps with an average of 100 laps per day per car....

Must be because of the extensive testing of their gearboxes, that must now last four races. At least thats what they were focusing on yesterday, I assume that they have similar objectives today as well.
http://www.f1technical.net/news/8079

Seeing how they average so many laps per car every day, reliability must be quite good again this season.

Question: Must each gearbox last for 4 SUNDAY races, or 4 GP weekends :?: Thnx in advance.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

scarbs
scarbs

mx_tifosi wrote:
MrT wrote:
Question: Must each gearbox last for 4 SUNDAY races, or 4 GP weekends :?: Thnx in advance.
4 weekends, which means Saturday (Practice and Q) and Sunday, Friday practice is exempt from Engine Gearbox longevity rules.

Spencifer_Murphy

Why is the bargeboard black? Wasn't like that at the launch was it?
I think that's just the reflective paint either:
a) reflecting the colour of the tarmac of the track
or
b) reflecting light in a manner which just decieves the eye. If you look carefully, its not a solid black colour, and the chamfered edges of the bargeboard are more reflective.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.