Design the car of the first electric racing series ever!

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
tomislavp4

Design the car of the first electric racing series ever!

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/moto ... mpetition/

What do you think, should F1T have a go? Something like group effort...

manchild
manchild

Re: Design the car of the first electric racing series ever!

aimed at design students interested in the automotive field
So, F1T or a group is out of the regulations I guess.

tomislavp4

oooops, missed it :oops:

Conceptual
Conceptual

I guess that everyone that continues to learn is a student tho, and by the questions that are put forth on these forums, I believe that almost everyone here would qualify as a "student" in the broadest sense of the term.

I like it, but if you get a spec chassis, motor, and battery system, what is the "design" part of the competition???

THAT is what I didn't understand about that site. Anyone know?

Chris

Tom

I suppose it arranging the weight, suspension, cog etc into the perfect design so that you get maximum performance out of minimal use of valuable energy. There is far more to a good design than having all the right components.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.

tomislavp4

Or maybe they´re interested only in the styling of the body :roll:
maybe they have everything that affects performance allready figured out and want us to design only the body off the car, you know make it look good or something :?:

Conceptual
Conceptual

Tom wrote:I suppose it arranging the weight, suspension, cog etc into the perfect design so that you get maximum performance out of minimal use of valuable energy. There is far more to a good design than having all the right components.
Correct, but I firmly believe that given spec parts, there is only ONE perfect setup, so you would either have everyone running the same setup, or a bunch of people lagging behind the one team that got it perfect, thus removing the fun of watching or competing.

Who knows? I would DEFFINATELY get greasy to play with this system if there was a local team to me...:-P

Chris

Tom

There is never one perfect setup, there will be various compramise that teams can take and enevitably, if enough teams enter, two different compramise will produce a competitive series.

Anyway it doesn't look like a spectator series or a series involving driver ability much, the secret will be reliability and having a well balanced car that's efficient and meets the challenge criteria.
Murphy's 9th Law of Technology:
Tell a man there are 300 million stars in the universe and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint on it and he'll have to touch to be sure.