Rolex 24 hours Daytona

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
beachman1221
beachman1221

Rolex 24 hours Daytona

Just returned home from the Rolex 24 hour race. Excellent race, not crowded, pits and garage area very accessable.
In the DP (Daytona Prototype) class Lexus, Porsche, BMW, Ford, Pontiac. Why hasn't Mercedes, Audi, Ferrari or any of the other big racers been building a DP car? It is a world class racing event.

West
West

Re: Rolex 24 hours Daytona

DPs are much simpler than any other prototype out there. I believe Mercedes and Ferrari are fully concentrating on F1 (the former probably because of Le Mans 99); Audi has a factory car in the ALMS and in the LMS I think. There probably isn't enough exposure in the Rolex series as opposed to the other series I posted.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Before I begin, welcome to F1Technical! :wink:

Speaking largely in part for Ferrari, all of their efforts are aimed at their F1 division, which limits the amount of participation in other categories of motorsport. Besides, Ferrari hasn't participated in prototype categories for some time now.

If you have paid attention to sports car racing, all Ferrari models currently in action are run through customer teams with the help and support of Ferrari (ex. Risi Competizione F430GT).

Have any pics you could share?
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

dumrick
dumrick

beachman1221 wrote:It is a world class racing event.
Welcome to the forum. The Daytona 24 is indeed a landmark in endurance racing. But the Daytona Prototype is just a big flawed class, the cars are awful, difficult to relate with any production vehicles or transmit the "state of the art" feeling that LMP's still do. Furthermore, there is one set of proto regulations that is worldwide spread now, thanks to the ACO, so there is no chance for DP's...