New regs-new idea

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
manchild

New regs-new idea

Since FIA imposed that head protection of cockpit is raised and having in mind that it does no good for aero I was thinking if maybe teams could find some benefit in it by using twin airbox intake as shown on pic, thus greatly reducing sensitiveness of car to crosswind which is very important because TC is banned. It would even enable better side view for driver since there'd be no frontal streamlined part as it is now. Perhaps it would improve feeding of rear wing with air and reduce overall turbulence, especially in corners.

Here's how I've imagined it:

vyselegend

Re: New regs-new idea

Looks a bit like a LM proto :)... Nice to see.

But Red Bull would have a hard time fitting their new engine cover here! :P

Conceptual

I think that is deffinately outside the box! I wouldn't doubt some teams doing a 3d model and running it through the CFD to see what pans out after seeing your pic!

Chris

Carbon

Very interesting, and great work with photoshop!

I'm hardly an aerodynamicist, but I think there might be a few problems with such a design, namely the reduced ram-air effect when the air intakes would be positioned so low, drawing in a considerable amount of dirty air.

I also wonder about the air flow downstream of the air intakes, and the effect they would have on the rearwing.

But hey...what do I know?

I like the alternative thinking approach. =D>

manchild

Thanks. Its was actually a quick job, not much quality in it - just to serve the purpose.

Just like this one:

I reckon that with endplates or something similar on winglets most team use near the air that travels on top on the chassis could be guided into airbox without mixing with brake dust.
Last edited by manchild on 01 Feb 2008, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Saribro

I believe the inside area of the headrests need to be padding according to section 14.6 of the technical regulations, which would make it impossible to fit intakes there. Other than that and "toblerone-rule" difficulties, it's an idea I've been playing with aswell, after seeing the recent slimming-trend on the airboxes/snorkles for the 2008 cars.

manchild

Saribro wrote:I believe the inside area of the headrests need to be padding according to section 14.6 of the technical regulations, which would make it impossible to fit intakes there. Other than that and "toblerone-rule" difficulties, it's an idea I've been playing with aswell, after seeing the recent slimming-trend on the airboxes/snorkles for the 2008 cars.
Padding like flexible or padding like filled with some soft material? Doesn't look so at pics at least. http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/r283.jpg

Saribro

The inner rim on the cockpit also has to be of specific dimensions, must be removable in 1 piece and can't contain any structural parts. 14.6.1 also mentions:
14.6.1 wrote:are covered, in all areas where the driver’s head is likely to make contact, with two plies of Aramid fibre/epoxy resin composite pre-preg material in plain weave 60gsm fabric with a cured resin content of 50% (+/-5%) by weight ;
which is probably what makes it look the way it looks now.
14.6.5 uses the word "foam", and there is a list of allowed materials:
14.6.5 wrote:All of the padding described above must be so installed that if movement of the driver's head, in any expected trajectory during an accident, were to compress the foam fully at any point,
14.6.1 wrote:are made from a material which is suitable for the relevant ambient air temperature, details of approved materials and the temperature bands in which they should be used may be found in the Appendix to these regulations ;
Unfortunately, the pdf on the FIA page doesn't contain the appendices that specify the types of material that can be used, so I can't say whether the loophole you're looking for is there.

manchild

Saribro wrote:... so I can't say whether the loophole you're looking for is there.
I was just reading FIA regs myself before I saw your reply and came to same conclusion. These sideways parts of absorption zone could be made as a rectangular tube from material elastic enough to absorb the helmet impact as required and yet firm enough to smoothly guide the air into snorkel.

It is indeed a loophole but I don't mean it in the way that driver's safety is decreased but only that specific part can be made using different material and technology.

Steven
Owner

I think there is in fact one more problem. Remember 2002 when everyone was reducing the surface of the airbox? Well, now they don't since the FIA imposed a minimum surface area to make sure there is enough space for sponsors.

It's for sure not in the rules but it kind of looks like a champcar ;)

zac510

scarbs, you might remember the investigation that RCE did into Renault running a between-cam intake on their wide angle engine which drew intake air from the sidepods, IIRC.
No good turn goes unpunished.

teecof1fan

Yeah I was just about to say Champ Car too. Maybe Sebasatien Bourdais would be doing a little better in testing if he were driving this ;) Interesting thinking by the way, Manchild!

PNSD

Ciro Pabón

That's one of the best ideas I've seen, Manchild.
Ciro

jaho101

teecof1fan wrote:Yeah I was just about to say Champ Car too. Maybe Sebasatien Bourdais would be doing a little better in testing if he were driving this ;) Interesting thinking by the way, Manchild!
I think Bourdais will be fine once he gets his body used to the cornering forces, on top of that he has great composure while driving open wheel cars at the highest level. You can trust him to be consistent, however Vettle is probably a minute amount faster due to his youth and potential for growth. I think we'll see a Kubica/Heidfeild dynamic. I hope too, that he has a better showing the Zinardi did, then again you can argue Montoya was fine. We'll see.