2009 Tyre Warmers ban - An improvement to driver safety?

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.

Tyre warmer ban - A good idea or not?

Yes great idea
35%
No it's a crap idea
58%
Who cares?
6%

Total votes: 31

ben_watkins
ben_watkins

2009 Tyre Warmers ban - An improvement to driver safety?

With more and more drivers joining the discussion on the 2009 ban on tyre warmers/blankets, I thought I'd run a poll here.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/66663

Does anyone believe that the tyre warmer ban for 2009 will increase driver safety? I mean we've already seen the dangers of high closing speeds this season, where cars were on very slow in laps to save fuel at the end of Q3 until they changed to a 120% lap time rule..

So how can tyre blanket ban, coupled with slicks that take longer to heat up than groved tyres be a benefit to the safety of the drivers?
BWP
Tripos Media Partners
#TriposMediaPartners

Belatti
Belatti

Re: 2009 Tyre Warmers ban - An improvement to driver safety?

Cars with cool tires, exiting the pits will be inside that 120% you mention in their first lap. Is not that we will see speed diferences like Malaysia qualy. Thus safety is OK in my opinion.

And it will be great to see drivers struggle to maintain position in "first out of pit lap" when coming in front of a rival with already heated tires! :D
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Conceptual
Conceptual

Belatti wrote:Cars with cool tires, exiting the pits will be inside that 120% you mention in their first lap. Is not that we will see speed diferences like Malaysia qualy. Thus safety is OK in my opinion.

And it will be great to see drivers struggle to maintain position in "first out of pit lap" when coming in front of a rival with already heated tires! :D
After reading your point Belatti, I would change my vote...

There would be an aweful lot of overtaking just due to that. Now the drivers will more than likeley NOT let them pass either, because it would actually be for position... At least till the warm tyre car stops.

Chris

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

There is no improvement to driver safety. May have some guys push it too hard on the outlap and spin or slide off. Will make it much more difficult if a driver is out in front and pits.. even if he comes out the pits ahead of everyone it will be very difficult to keep someone on a hot set from getting by.

Bridgestone will react by trying to get their compounds to work over a broader temp range, or cooler.. but there are tradeoffs in that for sure. May see blistering and heat management be an issue, or some tradeoff in ultimate grip.

It will make things more.. interesting.. for sure. Drivers will obviously bitch, but that happens.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Belatti
Belatti

Sure that some drivers will bitch, but true drivers will apdapt :wink:

Also, tires are the same, so working temp. range is equal for everyone. We wont have a battle where the best tire manufacturer wins, we will have a battle where the best DRIVER wins, and that my friends, is what we want! Or Not?
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

modbaraban
modbaraban

We might see more racing on the track with cold vs. hot tyres. And racing is dangerous :wink:

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

it is a great idea. The tyres will be developed to heat up quicker and also to be stable which is a good thing overall for any tyre.

The old days where a guy would come out on cold tyres was superb. The naysayers need to look at every other racing series on the planet - they do not use tyre warmers.
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Its a good idea, sorting the men from the boys. As mentioned, the real drivers will adapt, but the ones that will bitch will be the ones that bitched about TC and all their aids being taken away for this year.

Another thing, cold tyres will last longer, but only by that one or two laps, meaning that drivers will still have to take care of their tyres, but also be aware they may do a Lewis at China and have no tyre left if they try and leave it too fine on strategy.

Ciro Pabón

I don't know if tyre blanket ban make the sport more dangerous, never used them. If you follow Rosberg, they do. I take the advice of an expert over a poll by fans... so mark me as a "no, they don't improve safety".

I just have a question on its banning: why? (besides generating some talk for Bridgestone ;)) What's the actual problem with them?
Ciro

WhiteBlue

If I remember the original discussion right it was cost saving and driver aid removal.

Schumi has voted to initially keep tyre warmers in 2009 but I think it is to help his friend Massa.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Belatti
Belatti

Cost saving = 0 (like Shoemaker said, everyone already has TWs)
Maybe some energy saving, yes. Electrical resistences consume some KW.

Driver safety will decrease, but entertainment will be great! (see tool´s vicarious song lyrics for more info :wink: )

Here a couple of quotes:
Michael Schumacher, who has been testing the 2009 slick tyres at Barcelona yesterday, said: "I think they will have to rethink this approach, because everybody already has tyre blankets. We don't save anything, we don't do anything other than make it more difficult for everybody."

Earlier this week Pedro de la Rosa said on the tyre warmer ban: "The first lap is very slow, and that's the danger. There are cars which are up to racing speed and you are coming out of the pits very slowly. You are like a mobile chicane. That's the problem that this kind of rules has."
I´ll take the freedom to answer them:
1) Michael: that´s what all this is about: to make it more difficult for everybody!
2) Pedro: you are like a mobile chicane. True drivers can handle mobile chicanes pretty fast! :D

Meanwhile, I´m studying clonation science to try to bring Gilles back! :twisted:

NickT

Belatti wrote:Sure that some drivers will bitch, but true drivers will apdapt :wink:

Also, tires are the same, so working temp. range is equal for everyone. We wont have a battle where the best tire manufacturer wins, we will have a battle where the best DRIVER wins, and that my friends, is what we want! Or Not?
Have to agree, it adds another variable and another element of driver skill, this is a drivers' championship after all. Besides I don't leave my car's wrapped up in a set of tyre warmers at night ready for the sprint race for the office.
NickT

mcdenife
mcdenife

Agree with Ciro. We are armchair F1 drivers, those who know better, the drivers themselves, have spoken and I am inclined to agree with them. That we have not heard from the other drivers doesnt mean they disagree with those who have spoken. And schumacher makes a valid point. If the aim was cut cost, how is banning something they already have cutting costs?
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.

WhiteBlue

mcdenife wrote:... And schumacher makes a valid point. If the aim was cut cost, how is banning something they already have cutting costs?
It isn't the the cost of some tire warmers!! It's the team personel required for pit stops. They can probably shrink the race teams by several people.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mcdenife
mcdenife

I dont think they needed to hire any additional people to put on or take off the blankets. You would still need the same number of people per tyre at the pitstops
Long experience has taught me this about the status of mankind with regards to matters requiring thought. The less people know and understand about them, the more positively they attempt to argue concerning them; while on the other hand, to know and understand a multitude of things renders men cautious in passing judgement upon anything new. - Galileo..

The noblest of dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.