Turkish Grand Prix 2008

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Turkish Grand Prix 2008

the teams are putting out their previews. so lets have a thread. :D

Istanbul
Race Date: 11 May 2008
Number of Laps: 58
Circuit Length: 5.338 km
Race Distance: 309.396 km
Lap Record: 1:24.770 - JP Montoya (2005)

ALL TIMES CONTINENTAL - local times one hour earlier - UK times one hour later

Friday Practice 1 09:00 - 10:30
Friday Practice 2 13:00 - 14:30

Saturday Practice 10:00 - 11:00
Qualifying 13:00

Sunday Race 14:00

Turkey preview quotes: BMW
Nick Heidfeld: "I'm looking forward to the race in Istanbul, particularly to turn eight, the main feature of the track. It earned its fame in the very first grand prix because it is so tricky and causes plenty of spins and action. It's a very long, very fast corner with several apexes.

"Then you need a good top speed for the long back straight with its right-hand kink. But apart from the race track, I'm looking forward to Istanbul itself. This city is one huge international metropolis in a totally unique location. There's a lot more to discover there than our schedule ever allows."

Robert Kubica: "I don't have the best memories of the races in Istanbul Park, as last year and in 2006 they really didn't go at all well. Of course this time I hope my luck will change and I shall have a strong race.

"The race track itself is pretty interesting, and in turn eight especially we face a lot of g-forces. Istanbul Park is one of the tracks where you have to find the right balance between high and low-speed corners."

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director: "Our targets for the Turkish Grand Prix are clear: we want to consolidate our position among the leaders, where Ferrari is currently the yardstick. For the fifth race of the season we will be making detail improvements to the F1.08 again.

"The layout of this ultra-modern circuit on the Asian side of Istanbul is a real achievement and presents a true challenge. The race has been moved from the height of summer to this earlier date, which should make quite a difference to the demands on the teams and their material. Last year we had to contend with air temperatures of 36 degrees on race day. For the Formula One teams and their partners, an international metropolis like Istanbul is an excellent platform.

"For the first time in the 2008 season we have the BMW Sauber F1 Team Pit Lane Park in tow. It gives fans a chance to grasp - in the truest sense of the word - what they can normally only see from a distance. We have significantly extended the Park again, which now has space to accommodate even more visitors. Plus it now features new high-tech exhibits with which visitors are invited to experiment."
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

donskar
donskar

Re: Turkish Grand Prix 2008

Interesting contrast in the statements coming from the big 3:
Ferrari: we must go faster
McL: we aren't fast enough
BMW: almost fast enough is good enough

McL does seem to be a bit on the back foot. They seem to be a bit off through the twisty bits (which I do not think we can attribute to the $100M fine or the restrictions on their tech development). Strange. In the recent past they often seemed to have Ferrari at a disadvantage through some corners, especially when riding the curbs.

I think Haug is downplaying BMW's real chances - good corporate politician: under-promise and over-deliver.

Ferrari continues the approach embodied so well by M Schu - never stop working, never become complacent. Strive for perfect; settle for excellent.

I am a Ferrari fan, therefore biased, but am very proud of the team's success, given the enormous technical strength behind McL and Sauber. If you were setting up a "dream" F1 team, who would you rather have behind you, BMW? Honda? Mercedes? Toyota? Or Fiat? (Fiat!?)
No predictions from me, except a general one - whoever leads at the end of the first lap will lead at the end of the last one.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

WhiteBlue

nobody seems to be interested to talk about the race so far. how comes?
it will soon heat up. I see that my prediction for Alonso on p6 last race was pretty sharp, but then the engine blew. --- happens. lets have another try!

Kimi, 1st again
Kube, 2nd
Ham, 3rd
Fred, 4th
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

guy_smiley

I think nobody is commenting because you started the thread 9 days before the GP. Usually they are started maybe 4 or 5 days before, so yes inevitably the topic will be very popular come Thursday and Friday...

Anyway, I don't like to make predictions but... :D

donskar, I've got a feeling that this is going to be like Malaysia, where Massa will take pole and lead until the first pit stop rotation, then Kimi will overtake him and go on to take the win...Raikkonen, Massa, and a good showing to take 3rd for Heidfeld
Smiles all 'round!

rkn

Super Aguri trucks have been denied access to the paddock, apparently Nick Fry from Honda has informed FOM that SA will not compete in next weeks GP. Despite the fact that SA has been "saved" by the Weigl group.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67142

I hope this is just a mistake by the officials, I'd really hate to see SA go into the history books so early, they have accomplished a lot in the past 2 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For the GP itself, I think Ferrari will run away from competition again (Kimi and Felipe are the only ones who have won this race before), but I'm not sure who will be the stronger. I also think that BMW will establish themselves as the second best team.

SMP
SMP

They may have accomplished a few things in the past few years, but only when you don't consider the backward step by Honda from 2006 to 2007. the 2006 car was quite decent and gave Aguri an oppurtunity that they took full advantage of. This year, they will always be moving roadblocks at the wrong end of the grid. Why simply keep teams just to make up the numbers? And it's not like they are giving a chance to many promising rookies like Minardi used to do. If they can't manage enough sponsorship, good-bye. There will always be such teams coming and going. I'm waiting for the next small privateer to enter.

As for race predictions - Ferrari 1-2 (As it will be for all the remaining races this season), probably Kimi leading Massa. Even-steven between McLaren and BMW so it should be Lewis leading Kubica. Surprise of the race - Alonso coming in the top 6.

bizadfar
bizadfar

rkn wrote:Super Aguri trucks have been denied access to the paddock, apparently Nick Fry from Honda has informed FOM that SA will not compete in next weeks GP. Despite the fact that SA has been "saved" by the Weigl group.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67142

I hope this is just a mistake by the officials, I'd really hate to see SA go into the history books so early, they have accomplished a lot in the past 2 years.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

For the GP itself, I think Ferrari will run away from competition again (Kimi and Felipe are the only ones who have won this race before), but I'm not sure who will be the stronger. I also think that BMW will establish themselves as the second best team.
Kimi made a vivid mistake in qual(2ndattempt) last year. And proved that F1 sucks behind another car [and proved Massa was a roadblock to him] when he slowed down on purpose during the closing laps and smashed the fastest laps. The F2008 suits him even more so I expect to him to be comfortable as in Barcelona. And BMW not far behind, and outdoing Mclaren.

donskar
donskar

Interesting to see more and more of us predicting a Ferrari walk-over this year.

I want to see them win, but only after close, exciting racing. I also respect McLaren and fear BMW's technical strength.

My wife, who might be seen as a sort of semi-interested observer, has said (many times) "every time Ferrari does well, they change the rules to stop them."

And next year it's all change . . . #-o
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

sriraj1031
sriraj1031

hello guys,

I really doubt if kimi will dominate massa this time as massa seems to have an upper hand in more fast cornered circuits rather than intricte tight ones like spa etc but in circuits like baharain , turkey he seems unstoppable the facts suggests that like last two years he dominated kimi and Micheal quite well so its very interesting to see what happens .......................

bizadfar
bizadfar

sriraj1031 wrote:hello guys,

I really doubt if kimi will dominate massa this time as massa seems to have an upper hand in more fast cornered circuits rather than intricte tight ones like spa etc but in circuits like baharain , turkey he seems unstoppable the facts suggests that like last two years he dominated kimi and Micheal quite well so its very interesting to see what happens .......................
1 5 Michael Schumacher Ferrari 55 16:28:02 218.360 1:28.005
2 6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 38 16:02:07 218.067 1:28.123

MS fudged both his attempts in qualifying. That said, Massa probably would have pole anyway. Consider the circumstances of the race itself, I wouldn't say Massa was really dominant but excellent.

Now, 2007. As I said, Kimi made a huge mistake in the 2nd last corner I recall on his second attempt. and started 4th: http://www.formula1.com/results/season/2007/781/6435/

And as I said, he dropped back 1 or 2 seconds towards the end. And: 1 6 Kimi Räikkönen Ferrari 57 16:28:56 220.136 1:27.295
2 5 Felipe Massa Ferrari 18 15:30:21 218.566 1:27.922

Smashed it easy. In the interview he said he wanted to see what the car and he could do in clear air.

SMP
SMP

really doubt if kimi will dominate massa this time as massa seems to have an upper hand in more fast cornered circuits rather than intricte tight ones like spa etc but in circuits like baharain , turkey he seems unstoppable
Spa is not a "tight" circuit. its a free-flowing fast one. And Kimi dominates Spa every time. So I have to disagree with this statement. Fact is, there are very few circuits where Kimi doesn't do well (like Bahrain). There are some where is he streets ahead of the rest (Monaco, Spa and dare i say...Silverstone?), and he is generally excellent everywhere. Massa on the other hand, has some bad circuits (Monaco, Suzuka) and is pretty good everywhere else, but not so good race craft. So over the course of the race and definitely the season, Kimi will outperform him 9 times out of 10.

I have to agree with bizadfar.

roost89
roost89

I'm expecting alot of crashes or spins off of turn 8. There were a few with TC but without it, I think there'll be some more at least in practice :D

As for domination of the race, Kimi by a mile. He ran from last to third (i think) back in 2006, so I think he knows it quite well.

(my "dream"/expected podium)
1 - Kimi
2 - Kubica
3 - Massa (I'd like to see Rosberg in the top 3 but it's highly un-likely)
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Bob Brown

Just wont be the same without Super Aguri F1 :cry:

bizadfar
bizadfar

2005 looked like a breeze for him except the 1st lap.
2006 he got hit in the back and the suspension was damaged (later crashed into the tyre barrier at I think turn 8 runoff)
2007, 2nd following Massa all race.

meves
meves

Is this another new Ferrari nose?