Barrichello's brake problem

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
rudo7
rudo7

Barrichello's brake problem

Hi everybody,
could anyone explain this to me? RB said "the brake pedal was really long". What does it mean? Was there something wrong with his brake pedal or is it just that his brakes weren't so good as they should be???

thanks

West
West

Re: Barrichello's brake problem

rudo7 wrote:Hi everybody,
could anyone explain this to me? RB said "the brake pedal was really long". What does it mean? Was there something wrong with his brake pedal or is it just that his brakes weren't so good as they should be???

thanks
To me it sounds like his brakes were softer or weaker than before so he would have to press on the brake earlier or deeper, which can throw off one's timing
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

rodders
rodders

well "having a LONG brake pedal " normally means either 1 of 2 things.

1 being that mabe the pads are getting very worn or

2 there is maybe air in the hydraulic system

but usually it means either the pads are worn down or even the dics are badly worn, either way it didnt seem to slow R.B. too much so I doubt it was a real serious problem

marcush.
marcush.

well there are other possible causes for a long pedal....
one might experience some excessive wheel bearing clearance allowing the brakedisc to knock back the pads far enough so the pedal travel would of course increase .
A warped Brake disc would have a similar effect ,but of course paired with big time vibrations...
And don´t forget vibration of the Car could move the pads or pistons back into the Caliper giving a long pedal ...there is a possible remedy to this
effect by shimming a small spring behind the piston to prevent pad knockback with accompagning long pedal moments.
I´m sure that is just the top of the iceberg...