German GP 2008

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
modbaraban
modbaraban

German GP 2008

Kicking off with the novelty by FIF1. They've bridged the mirror between the cockpit and the podvane.

Last edited by modbaraban on 18 Jul 2008, 11:45, edited 1 time in total.

bazanaius
bazanaius

Re: German Grand Prix

i love that. But again, as I've said before - how does this get interpreted by the rules about plan area of mirrors?
i would have thought this rule (3.8.1 I think) is to deliberately stop this kind of thing.
B

Saribro
Saribro

That rule is about stuff higher than the edge of the sidepod vane and the top of the bridge itself (600mm).
Last edited by Saribro on 18 Jul 2008, 02:18, edited 1 time in total.

donskar
donskar

Somehow, I think it's going to take more than a new mirror . . .

I certainly hope they don't think they've optimized everything else!
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

megz

I cannot see the image but the idea sounds quite novel!

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Personal opinion here, but I really hope for dry conditions throughout the entire GP weekend. Wet races might be entertaining and keep you on the edge of your seat screaming at the tv, but they're not very fulfilling nor very representative of maximum high performance, which is what Formula One is about.

This GP might have very profound effects on the championship standings, given that if one team out performs the other by a significant amount of points, the scales might tilt another direction. And around this GP and upcoming ones, teams might be forced to decide whether to support one specific driver in the quest for the DC over the other. This depending on what results achieved and how the point tallies appear. I would be very greatful if it went down to the wire with more than two drivers like it did last year, but we will have to wait and see how the following GP's go. And to be honest, I seriously have no predictions as to whom may be '08 DC.

Good visual reference of the Hockenheimring. Not a bad layout, but extremely different from that of the original version.

'Donskar', in a recent interview Dr. Vijay Mallya mentioned that Force India was redirecting the majority of the focus and resources towards the '09 season preperations. And '08 was continuing with scheduled, but minor, aerodynamic updates, along with a possible introduction of a 'seamless' gearbox. Currently the rest of the teams use a 'seamless' one, and Force India are expecting to gain a few tenths with it as soon as they begin using it as well. They are expecting to make their mark in Formula One starting next season, nothing surprising since many teams are hoping for a shake up in the order with the new regulations.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Belatti
Belatti

mx_tifosi wrote:Personal opinion here, but I really hope for dry conditions throughout the entire GP weekend. Wet races might be entertaining and keep you on the edge of your seat screaming at the tv, but they're not very fulfilling nor very representative of maximum high performance, which is what Formula One is about.

Good visual reference of the Hockenheimring. Not a bad layout, but extremely different from that of the original version.
Wet races are not represetative of maximun high performance for cars, OK. But with drivers its otherwise I think, so I do hope for lots of rain! :P
I know you wanna see Ferrari winning so rain would be a nightmare, I hope you liked rain when Schummy was still there :lol: Just kidding.

BTW, not a bad layout? It sucks! Send Tilke home and bring the old speedy ring back!
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

scarbs
scarbs

Re: German Grand Prix 2008

I think we need a clear weekend without incident, penalties or rain to tell the true situation between the teams.

For the half of the season the Ferrari has been the quicker car by a small margin. Lewis has been very close on fastest Q\Race laps times, enough to normally beat one Ferrari. In normal conditions the results have swung Ferrari’s way on pace and strategy, but any random element seems to hand the race to McLaren. However recently McLaren have had a lot of visible development (most unlike McLarens usual in–season development) which may have tipped the balance slightly in Macs favour, but we are talking less than a tenth here.
Meanwhile BMW Sauber press on, almost no visible development has been noted on the cars, but there’s been no errors and the results still seem to keep coming. Right now, I can’t see how anyone can predict which of the four will win the championship or claim one car\driver was clearly the best over the season.

In normal conditions here’s my prediction, However if Mac have made a step and win in Germany on pure pace, then on conventional tracks the balance will shifted towards them. I can’t see where BMW Sauber can win on pure pace.

Germany: tighter conventional circuit – finely balanced
Hungary: tight\street circuit – more likely Mac
Valencia: tight\street circuit – more likely Mac
Spa: open conventional circuit – more likely Ferr
Italy: fast open circuit – more likely Ferr
Singapore: tight\street circuit – more likely Mac
Japan: open conventional circuit – – more likely Ferr
China: open conventional circuit – – more likely Ferr
Brazil: open conventional circuit – – more likely Ferr

bazanaius
bazanaius

I think that although a lot closer than last year, you're right - the tracks layouts are the things that differentiate between Mac and Ferrari - and this is again due to the subtle differences in the overall package of each car (although both teams have moved closer to the 'centre' in terms of aim). Mac still rides the curbs better, but is harsher on its tyres; therefore perfect for a street track in the rain (Monaco anyone?). The ferrari is suited to the faster tracks due to its powerful engine, stability at speed, and it is easier on the tyres (Turkey anyone?).

Given also that each driver is suited to different conditions - it will as always be the tracks and the weather combination that decides the WDC.

scarbs
scarbs

P.S. The Force India pod wing is revised too. The Silverstone pod wing was partly merged into the sidepod, its now separated along its trailing edge and hence the new mirror mounting also supports the pod wing. Nice integration…..

bazanaius
bazanaius

So is the sidepod vane 'hanging off' the mirror? are there any better photos about? Could look very cool.

NaZzO

bazanaius wrote:So is the sidepod vane 'hanging off' the mirror? are there any better photos about? Could look very cool.
here is another angle on the FIF1 mirror sidepod integration

and that's the website for those having a difficulty loading the images:
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/105387.jpg
http://images.gpupdate.net/large/105435.jpg
Interviewer: The most exciting moment during the race weekend?
Kimi: I think it's the race start, always.
Interviewer: The most boring?
Kimi: Now.

donskar
donskar

Good stuff from mx_tifosi and scarbs.

Seems to me that McL have momentum in their favor. Compared to Ferrari McL develoment seems both more significant in scope and more effective in results.

I can't help but feel that Ferrari have not yet fully recovered from their recent enormous human losses: M Schu, Brawn, Byrne, Stepney, Martinelli, et al.

Yes, they did well last year, very well, but I attribute last year's success to a young team out to prove themselves (and the disruption Stepneygate caused - some at Ferrari but much more at McL).

Ferrari has proven that success in F1 depends on a well-integrated team working together over an extended period of time. But every successful team has a star or two along with the role players. Right now I don't see technical stars at the Brawn/Byrne level, AND the team as constituted has a lot of new people in new roles. Certainly it SEEMS that reliability has suffered a bit since the departures of Stepney and Martinelli. Martinelli was credited for bringing organization and reliability to the engine side; Stepney was praised for bringing order and reliability to overall car preparation.

Agree with mx_tifosi: this could be a very critical race. If Hamilton dominates again, this race could signal he'll get the WDC. BMW also has to step up and show they can run consistently at the front. Williams and Toyota also have a lot to prove. Red Bull may finally have the car, but I think little of their drivers.

It will also be interesting to see Vettel's performance. He deserves a good car, but deserves a little luck even more!

Finally, I agree with mx_tifosi on wet versus dry race. Who does NOT prefer to see a race decided by car and driver rather than by tire strategies, weather predictions, and back markers spinning into race leaders?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

have been watching practice (working from home..lol) and the track is a pale shadow of the original and yet does produce some good racing.

Mac looks fast indeed and with the field within 2 secs I imagine this will be a tight one for Q3

Don't mind it wet or dry - just like to see the cars and drivers pushing.

Would like to see someone other than Ferrari or McLaren win it...but I doubt it very much!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

bazanaius
bazanaius

I can understand some people finding the aero parts on the cars ugly, but at the same time I shall miss them next year. It shows off some incredible integration and manufacturing expertise on the side of the teams. that mirror/sidepod/aero device is gorgeous as a solution.